Campaign Rules

Pages: 1
Khan_Robinette
06/10/02 08:08 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Planning on running a campaign with my gang, but I need some possible home rules for speeding up the standard board game for a long term battle. I used to have the battleforce 1 rules back before I moved, but they seem to have dissappeared into the chasm of lost items.

Anyways, any ideas? I am talking a 3 way battle more than likely 45 mechs per side.

Thanks!
Shannon
"Teach me and I'll teach you
If you need a hand I'll give you two
Respect me and I'll respect you
Disrespect me and I will destroy you"
Zwischy
06/10/02 02:50 PM

Ouch, that's a lot of 'Mechs.

I'm not overly experienced in battles THAT large - the largest I've seen is two battalions going tooth and nail on hexmaps. Took about 6-7 hours to play, and probably over half the armies still remained on the board when one side surrendered. It was a 'Ok, I'm about to lose about 5 'Mechs next round' kind of surrender.

I think something you might consider, though, is forcing units (battalions, companies, whatever) to move together, at the movement rate of their slowest member. You could allow unit groupings to be split down as small as lances/stars, but then each lance still has to move as a group. Maybe even require lances to fire together - is it all THAT far from reality, anyway? Concentrating firepower is a basic tactic.

This obviously isn't for purists, but it still leaves you plenty of room for strategy. Some of the tactical play would have to get lost in a battle this big, I think.
Khan_Robinette
06/10/02 03:07 PM

I was figuring on a whole weekend, I have several ppl set to run the units. I like the idea for movemnt, I am planning on playtesting some of these ideas this weekend.

Thanks for the input!
"Teach me and I'll teach you
If you need a hand I'll give you two
Respect me and I'll respect you
Disrespect me and I will destroy you"
Zwischy
06/18/02 07:53 PM

Heh, tonnage limits or no, you're still going to want some small/medium, fast (possibly munchy :P) 'Mechs to outflank and backstab - and if it's really a campaign, to scout. I'm one of those guys who believes in the value of mobility, even at the cost of some loss in firepower (so color me Davion :P). But it's easy for an opponent to ignore a lance of Locusts until they're behind the enemy formation, when it's a little late to be targeting them instead of that Archer or Thunderbolt out front.

I don't like having scouts/flankers slower than 6/9 myself, though 5/8 (preferably with jump jets) is probably adequate, even if you're against Clanners.
TRYCORP
06/22/02 06:53 PM

*Masageing Temples*
I see... I see... A Regement.. YES! A Regement of Locusts with Medium Pulse Lasers and Targeting Computers!!!
"Machine Guns! Thats a Summoner out there! Do you plan to punch little holes in it, and have it fall down from too much ventilation!?!"

TRYCORP
Clan Nova Cat
MadWolf
06/23/02 03:52 AM

Try giving each side 40 hussars and 5 awesomes. The 5 awesomes would make the game much faster, considering hussers would be picked off like flies if they have a remotely poor pilot..... but thats just me being silly
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Zwischy
06/23/02 11:39 AM

Hussars getting picked off? I have to wonder. Those little gits are awfully fast. Trying to hit when you consistently have a +4 modifier for their movement? :P
MadWolf
06/23/02 01:50 PM

Making the first hit is rather difficult, but once a ppc meets its mark, unless it was the hussars arm, its going to be moving a bit slower..... The center torso is the only thing that can really survive. blow off a leg and a hussar aint going anywhere....
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3906

Contact Admins Sarna.net