WFT-1 Wolf Trap SC, “Custom Variant”

Pages: 1
scheinlen
05/23/12 11:19 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
WFT-1 Wolf Trap SC, “Custom Variant”
WFT-1 Wolf Trap SC- A uniquely customized Wolf Trap created for a Kell Hound MechWarrior named Shawn Campbell, as a reward for “Heroism under fire.” Reportedly; during the battle he continued to fight with just the 2 torso mounted medium lasers after running out of ammo for his weapons. By the end of the fighting; his mech had lost both the left arm at the shoulder, and the right side AC-10 and shoulder was also missing plus it had only about 15% armor in any one location at the end of the fighting. Refitted by Kell Hound techs from the shell that was left over, his Wolf Trap was rebuilt from the ground up using battle field “salvaged parts”. The techs fitted a 275 Rated XL Fusion Engine and 10 Double Heat Sinks into the 'Mech. The design retained the 'Mech's two Medium Lasers and LRM 10 Launcher (upgraded to clan weapons), while adding a right arm and shoulder assembly from a demolished clan 45 ton Fenris “Ice Ferret B”. (Streak SRM 6) Techs then added the right weapons pod from a wrecked Uziel UZL-3S that had been upgraded. (The Uziel’s AC 2 had been replaced by a clan LB-5 Autocannon and a clan ER Medium Laser). With help from a couple of “friendly” Clan Wolf in Exile techs that got interested in the rebuild; a clan case system was added to the design for each ammo type. The mechs standard armor was also replaced by 8 tons of Ferro Fibrous Armor. The weapons are well supplied by 2 tons each of cased AC/5 ammo and Swarm LRM ammo, but with only 1 Ton of Streak 6 Ammo that is cased and stored in the arm. All of these modifications allowed the techs to add 4 Clan Standard Type A2 jump jets purchased from the Clans, allowing the mech to jump up to 100 meters, and a salvaged Clan electronics suite the "Watchdog Composite Electronic Warfare System was added. These changes have turned this mech into a fast and mobile cavalry “Bug Hunter” unit.
Production information
Manufacturer Luthien Armor Works
Model WFT-1 SC (Kell Hounds / Clan Wolf-in-Exile)
Class Medium
Cost 8,000,000 C-bills
Technical specifications
Mass 45 tons
Chassis Alshain Class 580 Endo Steel
Armor 8 tons of Ferro Fibrous Armor with CASE
Engine 275 Rated XL Fusion Engine
Speed 100 km/h
Jump Jets 4 Clan Standard Type A2 (100 meters)
Clan Armaments • 1xLB-X Autocannon/5 (L Shoulder Joint “No Arm”)
• 3xER Medium Lasers (x1 RA, x2 L Torso)
• 1xLRM-10 (x1 Center Torso)
• 1xStreak 6 (R A)
BV (1.0) ???
BV (2.0) ???
It is not my job to judge my Enemies, that is there God's job. It is only my duty to arrange the meeting!
scheinlen
05/24/12 12:48 AM

Does this sound do-able? I built the mech out for scrap parts I on my Work table. Looks good, and I got the mech in a trade with no arms and I did not like the Standard Wolf Trap anyway. It also gave me a nother medium mech for my unit. (Even if it it a frankenstine)
It is not my job to judge my Enemies, that is there God's job. It is only my duty to arrange the meeting!
CYBRN4CR
05/24/12 03:23 AM

First off, Kudos to you for even attempting a Frankenmech and actually having the parts to slap together to make one. I can only imagine the nightmare that must have been for your tech crews!

Dragging out my Strat Ops, we start with your base chassis the Wolf Trap. The standard Wolf Trap is 45t and your design also is 45t. Good.

275/45=6.111 meaning your beast is a 6/9 with an engine that would normally be a 5/8 on a 55t mech at the cost of .5t more than the factory standard 270XL. One question I have is, is it a Clan XL engine with Clan DHSs, or an IS XL engine with IS DHSs? If your engine indeed is a Clan XL, be aware that you will need factory facilities to be able to make the switch. The same is true with switching from IS CASE to Clan CASE. But other than all this, there are no displaced heatsinks - which is good.

Normal internal structure points for a 45t mech is 75 for 4.5t. The Ice Ferret limb has the same internal points due to the mechs being of the same tonnage, so no issues there except the limb loses all Omnimech properties and is essentially locked as is (kind of like my Omnimech arms ). The Uziel arm has 8 internal points (being a 50t mech) so I figure it's close enough to the original not to cause problems in weight (at most a .06t increase). The one thing to note is that it's IS Endo Steel, so just be sure you accounted for that.

8t of Clan FF armor is maximum for the mech with no leftovers. And that's very good.

After looking at everything else, I found no other frankenmech issues, so you are golden on the hybrid chassis.

The only problem is, after accounting for everything, you are 3.5 tons overweight. So that means the Watchdog is definitely out. Trying to keep your loadout untouched as possible, you have a choice with the last two tons - you can reduce the ammo for the LBX and LRM to one per weapon and leave everything else alone, or you can return the engine to the factory standard 270XL (or Clan 270XL) and the original 7.5t of armor (though it's Clan FF so it's better) to allow one weapon (most likely the LRM) to have two tons of ammo.

The readout I have below incorporates my thoughts to make your frankenmech more official. I hope where I placed everything looks accurate. Do note with your LBX on the left arm it's on the opposite arm that main guns are usually put on according to the TRO images of the Wolf Trap. If the engine is a Clan version, then it should be a simple record sheet switch. Cheers.

Code:
Wolf Trap WFT-1 SC

Mass: 45 tons
Tech Base: Mixed
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Experimental Tech
Era: Clan Invasion
Tech Rating/Era Availability: X/X-X-X
Production Year: 3070
Cost: 8,485,908 C-Bills
Battle Value: 1,821

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 270 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 64.8 km/h
Maximum Speed: 97.2 km/h
Jump Jets: Unknown
Jump Capacity: 120 meters
Armor: Unknown Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
1 (CL) Streak SRM-6
1 (CL) LRM-10
3 (CL) ER Medium Lasers
1 (CL) LB 5-X AC
Manufacturer: Unknown
Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment Type Rating Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel 75 points 2.50
Internal Locations: 1 CT, 5 LT, 4 RT, 2 LL, 2 RL
Engine: XL Engine 270 7.50
Walking MP: 6
Running MP: 9
Jumping MP: 4 Standard
Jump Jet Locations: 2 LT, 2 RT 2.00
Heat Sinks: (IS) Double Heat Sink 10(20) 0.00
Gyro: Standard 3.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: Ferro-Fibrous AV - 144 7.50
Armor Locations: 1 HD, 3 LA, 3 RA
CASE Locations: RT, RA 0.00

Internal Armor
Structure Factor
Head 3 9
Center Torso 14 21
Center Torso (rear) 6
L/R Torso 11 18
L/R Torso (rear) 4
L/R Arm 7 14
L/R Leg 11 18

================================================================================
Equipment Location Heat Critical Mass
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CL) Streak SRM-6 RA 4 2 3.00
(CL) LB 5-X AC LA 1 4 7.00
(CL) ER Medium Laser LA 5 1 1.00
2 (CL) ER Medium Lasers LT 10 2 2.00
(CL) LRM-10 CT 4 1 2.50
@Streak SRM-6 (15) RA - 1 1.00
@LRM-10 (Swarm) (24) RT - 2 2.00
@LB 5-X (Slug) (20) RT - 1 1.00
Free Critical Slots: 4

Edited by CYBRN4CR (05/24/12 06:10 AM)
Karagin
05/24/12 10:28 AM

Code:
                BattleMech Technical Readout

Type/Model: Untitled 'Mech
Tech: Mixed Tech / 3025
Config: Biped BattleMech
Rules: Level 3, Standard design

Chassis: Endo Steel (IS)
Power Plant: 270 XL Fusion (C)
Walking Speed: 64.8 km/h
Maximum Speed: 97.2 km/h
Jump Jets: 6 Standard Jump Jets
Jump Capacity: 180 meters
Armor Type: Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
3 ER Medium Lasers (C)
1 Streak SRM 6 (C)
1 LB 5-X AC (C)
1 LRM 10 (C)
Manufacturer: (Unknown)
Communications System: (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System: (Unknown)

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Untitled 'Mech

Equipment: Crits Mass
Int. Struct.: 75 pts Endo Steel (IS) 14 2.50
(Endo Steel Loc: 1 HD, 3 LA, 2 RA, 1 LT, 2 RT, 1 CT, 2 LL, 2 RL)
Engine: 270 XL Fusion 10 7.50
Walking MP: 6
Running MP: 9
Jumping MP: 6
Heat Sinks: 10 Double (IS) [20] 0 .00
Gyro: 4 3.00
Cockpit, Life Supt., Sensors: 5 3.00
Actuators: L: Sh+UA R: Sh+UA+LA+H 14 .00
Armor Factor: 106 (C) 7 5.50
(Armor Crit Loc: 2 LA, 2 RA, 3 RT)

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Head: 3 8
Center Torso: 14 14
Center Torso (Rear): 4
L/R Side Torso: 11 11/11
L/R Side Torso (Rear): 4/4
L/R Arm: 7 10/10
L/R Leg: 11 15/15

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Crits Mass
1 ER Medium Laser (C) RA 5 1 1.00
1 Streak SRM 6 (C) RA 4 15 3 4.00
(Ammo Locations: 1 RT)
1 LB 5-X AC (C) LA 1 40 6 9.00
(Ammo Locations: 2 LT)
2 ER Medium Lasers (C) LT 10 2 2.00
1 LRM 10 (C) CT 4 12 2 3.50
(Ammo Locations: 1 LT)
CASE Equipment: (IS) LT RT 2 1.00
6 Standard Jump Jets: 6 3.00
(Jump Jet Loc: 3 LT, 3 RT)
TOTALS: 24 76 45.00
Crits & Tons Left: 2 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 8,836,808 C-Bills
Battle Value 2: 1,798 (old BV = 1,766)
Cost per BV2: 4,914.8
Weapon Value: 1,347 / 1,252 (Ratio = .75 / .70)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 33; MRDmg = 21; LRDmg = 6
BattleForce2: MP: 6J, Armor/Structure: 3/2
Damage PB/M/L: 4/3/1, Overheat: 1
Class: MM; Point Value: 18
Specials: if

Okay to give it the rated engine you wanted it would have next to no armor. It still can run close to the 100kph you wanted it though as for the shoulder thing, ignore the upper arm item and go with it as you wanted. Most folks can agree on that. Everything else fit, question would come up though on why would they need to refit the mech when the can make new ones? Cost for this doesn't seem to fit with their abilities, just saying.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
scheinlen
05/24/12 11:31 AM

Ok, do-able but on the mech figurine I had just the weapon pod for the Uziel so I mounted it like the original Wolf trap at the shoulder joint with no arm. so that saves space and the engine would be of the Lighter choice...

Secondly the mech is a Drac design but the Kell Hounds are in Stinker Space so I figure it was a Honor thing, plus with WIE and Kell Hound yards, Fatory rebuild was do-able..
Karagin
05/24/12 12:50 PM

Well the Clan engine is doable for them as well...the Light Engine was a Dragoon thing since they had limited amounts of stock of Clan tech engines, odd but I guess it works...The Clan XL allows what you listed to fit not sure the LE would.

No kidding the Draconis Combine makes the Wolf Trap would have never figured that one out not since it showed up in the original TRO3050 back in the early 90s...guess I must have missed that...

Again the question of WHY would they need to rebuild or even use the mech since they can make newier and better mechs? But hey it's your mech and fluff...I am just wondering as to the need of them doing this given all they already have.
Karagin

scheinlen
05/24/12 01:57 PM

Well, Karagin, I am running a few "New Mechs" so The Time line for my units (1 Battalion of Kell Hound figurines (Painted) and a Star cluster of WIE painted figurines) are set up at the start of the Dark Age, or fall of the Hyper Space systems... So Mechs are at a shortage... AND If it can walk and fight it is a must.

Also the mech was a Personel mech to the pilot so a rebuild was a honor thing.

Personaly I had the parts and no arms for the Wolf trap but did have the Spare arm for the clan mech, and a wepon pod for the other side. it fit and does look nice for a Wolf Trap. It also gave me a Medium mech I did not have to purchace to add to my figurines.
scheinlen
05/24/12 02:32 PM

If the LRM is dropped to a Clan LRM 5 firing Swarms, would that allowfor the "Watchdog Composite Electronic Warfare System ?
CYBRN4CR
05/24/12 06:15 PM

Yeah that would and you can give the LBX the Cluster and Slug ammo like Karagin did.
scheinlen
05/24/12 07:54 PM

Nice I thank that will fit into my battalion of Kell Hound mechs nicely.Thanks for the help... I'll be prenting off Karagin's Idea and changing it to show it...

Next on my IS list is the Sagittaire I altered ...
CYBRN4CR
05/24/12 10:12 PM

Just be aware that his sacrifices two tons of armor for the additional jump jets and two IS CASEs (not Clan CASE like you mentioned which takes no crits or tons). Other than that, if you're okay with it, then enjoy your ride!
Karagin
05/24/12 11:49 PM

And if you noticed that you would noticed that going with speed he wanted original the mech would have less armor the some other lights and not stand up to anything new on battlefield. So it's a trade off as to having things that work out, you can't have everything and still have it being believe even in this game...but he can make adjustments as he feels needed, given that he is going to a miniature based design which is very cool in it's self. Still would like to see a break down of what all he is running and expecting to face though, that too would be interesting.
Karagin

scheinlen
05/25/12 12:34 AM

Here the List of my IS mechs so you can see what I have.

Item Name Variant Weight

Marauder II MAD-4S 100
Marauder II MAD-4S 100
Sagittaire SGT-8R 95
Cyclops CP-11-C3 90
Templar (CMD) A 85
Stalker STK-6M 85
BattleMaster BLR-K4 85
BattleMaster BLR-K4 85
Zeus ZEU-9S 80
Zeus ZEU-X2 80
Victor VTR-Cr 80
Hatamoto-Chi HTM-28T 80
Awesome AWS-KATN 80
Awesome AWS-KATN 80
Marauder MAD-9W2 75
Warhammer WHM-8D 70
JagerMech III JM6-D3 65
Catapult CPLT-C5 65
Rifleman RFL-3N (C) 60
Rifleman RFL-8D 60
Menshen MS1-0 55
Griffin GRF-6CS 55
Bushwhacker BSW-S2 55
Uziel UZL-2S 50
Uziel UZL-2S 50
Wolf Trap WFT-SC 45
Raven RVN-C 35
Raven RVN-C 35
Jenner JR7-C3 35
Gurkha GUR-2G 35
scheinlen
05/25/12 12:38 AM

And here is the TOE of my Clan Star Cluster

Item Name Variant Weight

Dire Wolf (Diashi) Prime 100
Dire Wolf (Diashi) Prime 100
Dire Wolf (Daishi) Prometheus II 100
Mad Cat Mk II Prime 90
Mad Cat Mk II Prime 90
Highlander HGN-736 90 (IS, custom)
Warhawk (Masakari) Prime 85
Longbow LGB-12C 85 (IS, custom)
Warhammer IIC IIC 4 80
Gargoyle (Man O' War) D 80
Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) 75
Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) Pryde 75
Ryoken II (Custom) Tassa Kay 75
Summoner (Thor) D 70
Summoner (Thor) Prime 70
Nova Cat F 70
Linebacker Prime 65
Hellbringer (Loki) Prime 65
Hellbringer (Loki) Prime 65
Mad Dog (Vulture) Custom 60
Stormcrow (Ryoken) E 55
Rabid Coyote 55
Mad Cat III Mad Cat III 2 55
Stalking Spider 2 “Hunter Killer” 50
Stalking Spider 2 “Hunter Killer” 50
Nova (Black Hawk) H 50
Crimson Lager Prime 50
Shadow Cat Prime 45
Viper (Dragon Fly) Prime 40
Cougar P 35
scheinlen
05/25/12 12:42 AM

Both of my two units are supported by battle armor and the IS unit has a reinforced company of vtols and hovercraft in support.

The clan star ccluster has a full trinary of mixed CLAN Battle armor and 2 Turk ASF in mech scale.

The IS unit has 48 Purifiers .
CYBRN4CR
05/25/12 07:51 AM

Quote:

And if you noticed that you would noticed that going with speed he wanted original the mech would have less armor the some other lights and not stand up to anything new on battlefield.

Before we move on, let's both take a deep breath. Hnnnh. Haaah. Okay. Karagin, I respect you, but I'm not quite sure where you are getting the numbers to make that statement.

Taking a look at the standard fusion engine table, a 270 rated SFE weighs 14.5t and a 275 rated SFE weighs 15.5t. Dividing their tonnage and rounding up, you get 7.5t for a 270 rated XLE and 8t for a 275 rated XLE. Since scheinlen said it was intended to be an XL engine, I don't think a .5t difference would produce the situation you're talking about. Had it have been a 275 XLE, all else being equal, the design would have had 7t of Clan FF. But your design decreases the armor even further to add two more jump jets and keep the IS CASE native to the WFT-1. Now, switching a ton of armor for two more jump jets is your personal choice and I have no problem with that. But keeping the IS CASE only makes sense if you're trying to save the mech from a trip to the factory, and intend to slap the mech together in a mech hangar. But since Strat Ops customization/refit rules show that changing engine type (which I assume replacing an IS XLE with a Clan XLE counts) and adding CASE (which I assume applies to changing CASE type from IS to Clan) both require a factory, I figure that if scheinlen wants the Clan 270 XLE anyway then he might as well go all out and save an extra half to full ton in CASE weight while he's at it and keep it as armor to stand up to other Battlemechs on the field.

That's all I was trying to get at when I pointed out the differences between the two designs. Yes my design still has the IS XLE, but that's only because I couldn't confirm what the desired engine type was. Now that I know it's the Clan type along with the heatsinks, the adjustments make even more sense. With all the other changes above (downgrading the LRM10 to a LRM5 with one ton of ammo to add the Watchdog and giving the LBX cluster and slug ammo) scheinlen should be able to have everything he wanted from the design, sacrificing only .5t of armor (1.5 if he wants the additional jump jets) from the intended 8t (and remember the WFT-1 originally had 7.5t of armor!) and 5 missiles from the LRM rack.

I hope this clears any misunderstandings that may have happened here.
scheinlen
05/25/12 08:55 AM

NIce infomation, I'd rather loose the addtional Jump jets and keep the armor... Thanks
CYBRN4CR
05/26/12 01:33 AM

You're welcome, man. Just looking out for ya.

BTW, you have a nice collection of both clan and IS mechs. I better get to work on the rest of my revisits so I can help you with the mechs you need jump variants for!
CYBRN4CR
05/26/12 04:53 AM

Okay scheinlen! I attached a record sheet printout of your mech. I shuffled around the ES crits to best match where they are on the original WFT-1 and put the jets in the free space in the legs. The good news is, none of the arms have any previous crit placements that haven't been addressed, so you are all set for gaming with it! Enjoy! Attachment (158 downloads)
scheinlen
05/26/12 01:16 PM

Thanks , I be up and running again soon, Now all I need is to find some gamers for BT agian in Indiana...
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10466

Contact Admins Sarna.net