New players and their damnable luck...

Pages: 1
Karagin
02/03/04 01:36 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay, I ran a small pick up game here in Iraq the other day and what started as a small 8 man fight quickly came down to the two new guys blasting everyone else out of the fight.

Two turns into the game, my T-blot is capped in the head by the Panther one of the new players is running...rolls for crits and get's the bloody cockpit...so I am out of the game.

Next turn, Fritz (new player number two) manages to dump his AC20 on his Hunchback into the back of Warhammer and got both gyros on his rolls.

This seemed to be the trend...both Bronkhorst and Fritz have played a grand total of 4 games and are still learning the game...the rest of us were amazed and they wanted to go and do it again...I have never seen this much beginner's luck before...

What about the rest of you? Anything similar?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Grizzly
02/03/04 02:19 PM

When this kind of thing happens to "newbs" they seem to enjoy the game more and come back instead of getting frustrated right away. Which is ok by me, since we need all the new players we can get! But I digress.. about a year ago I decided to teach my nephew how to play. First game had us both in 3025 P-hawks. His was a standard and mine was the Davion variant. After some long range sniping at each other we both close the gap. We traded some shots at this point, no major damage. Next round I lose the initiative and get myself into some woods. He decides to jump next to me. He unloads with everything. He misses with the LL, and both MLs, but yep you guessed it, he hits with both MGs. One scratches the paint on my left torso, the other he rolls location and bingo, snake eyes center torso possible crits. He rolls for number of crits and gets an 11. Now he rolls for location and gets two gyro's! Yep my shiny new P-hawk D is knocked out! So we give it another go with some assaults. He takes a Berserker and I go with an Emperor. The battle goes back and forth, both of us taking damage. He finally gets point blank, so that he can use the hatchet. Well... he does and guess what, suprise suprise hits my head. Rolls for crits, gets one and bingo, cockpit dead Emperor. I finally got him back about a week later and actually won a game. He really enjoyed himself and we still play once every couple of months. I still have to help him determine his to hits, and his tactics are a little lacking, but I can't complain, I have some one to play against and he really enjoys using the miniatures!
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
CrayModerator
02/03/04 02:43 PM

I still have emotional scars from a pick-up game (4-way lance-on-lance, 250 tons per person) where I lost 3 of 4 mechs to head shots by half way into the game. That was about 10 years, and may not be quite what you're asking of (because my molesters were not n00bs, and neither was I), but my therapist tells me it's good to talk about such things.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
tgsofgc
02/03/04 11:34 PM

If its any consolation I have this strange luck that has been with me since I started playng. It isn't your average luck, no, it is what I have dubbed bipolar luck. One day everything goes in my favor, the next everything against me. Sigh.... It was fun to watch my 3025 merc unit bulge with a company of mechs I salvaged after lucky hits but on the next mission my head was shot off with a AC20 by a hunchback.
As to the Beserker, I love that thing just cause the Hatchet is such a pain. It can really lay the hurt down on most assaults when it is adjacent.
I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used.
-Commander Nathaniel Klepper,
Avanti's Angels, 3058
Grizzly
02/04/04 01:44 AM

I know what your talking about. Way back in 1989, seems so long ago, I was playing in a tourney at my local gaming club's convention. We were playing a double elimination format. The first couple of rounds were going great, I killed a P-hawk in partial cover with a headshot from my Hunchies AC/20 at 6 hexes, in one game! I make it to the final round against a player who already had one loss, I was still undefeated. I lose the first game to him. Ok I can deal, bad luck and all. Second game, my dice turn frigid and I only win a couple of initiative rolls and every time I needed a piloting skill, I fell. I lost one mech just from critting my self from falling damage! I'm not complaining, second place was great, but darn it, I was 5-0 going into the final round against some one who already had one loss! Frustrating to say the least, but lady luck wasn't smiling that day!
"I am but mad north-northwest, when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw" Hamlet
MacLeod
02/08/04 03:29 AM

This was my own damnable luck, thankfully, but it was rather interesting. When I was just starting out playing BT, maybe five or six years ago, I was playing against my brother quite frequently. Every single game, I'd use a Zeus, and he a Jenner (we'd go lance-on-lance, but the other 'Mechs never mattered). Every single game, my Zeus's AC/5 would go through his Jenner's rear armor and set off the SRM ammo. It happened three or four games in a row.

I love the Zeus.
Drugs don't kill people, pancreatic cancer kills people.

... and whoever heard of a drug that causes pancreatic cancer?
Shadowdancer
02/08/04 03:41 AM

Playing Battletech over 2 years ago, someone was running a local campaign game using BV-adjusted piloting/gunnery numbers.

So I took a Dire Wolf C, and made it a 0/5 (Gun/Pilot). The BV modifier made it x1.8, which I belive brought it up to 5700 or so.

Now, first turn of fire, a Gunslinger fires a couple of Gauss Rifles. One hits. Go on, guess where it hit?...
Jesus built my Mad Cat.
Ignorant_Savage
02/08/04 05:40 PM

well, i have a story that is quite the oppisite:
the first time i ever played with my little brother, i think that he was 14 at the time, his 'mech was destroyed on the first hit. center torso hit, rolled 12 on his critical roll. that is a spectacular example of what i like to refer to as 'unluck', something i seem to experience quite often myself.
"Those who trade away essential freedoms for a little saftey deserve neither freedom or saftey."
- Benjamin Franklin
Silenced_Sonix
02/10/04 01:58 PM

My very first BT game - my 50t Enforcer versus my friend's 50t Hunchback on an open field. I chewed his torso apart and score two engine and one gyro hit, after which I had an unlucky spell and could not hit him. He got a lucky shot with his AC20 in my one leg, the Enforcer fell, and he walked right up to me and shot me to pieces with that damned AC20. Quite frustrating... Well, we were both new to the game
Evolve or Die
Protege
03/05/12 11:26 PM

My uncle and I taught his new wife to play one night. We had played for over a decade. It was her first night. She headcapped me with her Hunchback and then my uncle failed a piloting check, fell on his head in a Victor, and died. She got 8 points to the LT and 2 points to the RL from BOTH of us.

Newbies are lucky beyond belief.
I've stopped being nice? When the hell did I ever START being nice?
Raplet
03/10/12 01:35 AM

My first battle with a group I was part of, I had a randomly assigned Banshee 3Q (the AC/20 with legs). The AC was damaged after 2 rounds. However, after that I managed to kick the head off a Catapult with a 1/2 pilot.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/10/12 05:23 AM

My first battle I had a custom designed mech the I built, BT 1.0 rules. It was a 75 toner with 2 AC-10s with I think 2 tons of ammo. We did not understand the construction rules that well. I had more armor than was legal but at the time we did not know that. At first I was doing OK but things turned bad quickly and I was among the dispossessed before the battle was over. Oh well for beginners luck.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Raplet
03/10/12 04:15 PM

My very first game of Battletech was between 2 custom designed 100 tonners.

On the last turn, my friend kicked my leg off, I punched his head off, and on the way down I landed on my ammo.

It was a draw.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
03/11/12 03:08 AM

Quote:

My very first game of Battletech was between 2 custom designed 100 tonners.

On the last turn, my friend kicked my leg off, I punched his head off, and on the way down I landed on my ammo.

It was a draw.

Sounds to me that you has a real big blast.

Sorry, I could not resist it.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10263

Contact Admins Sarna.net