What Happened to the CGL site, 2.0

Pages: 1
CrayModerator
01/23/18 07:50 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
A new thread on an old, recurring topic.

The old one was getting a bit long - it's hard to browse in threaded form when a thread gets over 100 posts.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
YingJanshi
01/23/18 09:03 PM

Maybe it's finally dead... :/

I thought after the last crash, they hired a different company to handle the hosting and IT stuff? Seems like it's been very unstable ever since.
"You will experience a tingling sensation and then death."
"...oh gods, I just tried to imagine herding mimetic cats." - Weirdo

Wrangler
01/23/18 10:17 PM

It certainly has an error going on with it. i can see sometimes when i have saved page. People have posted (roughly around the sametime.) I do wonder if the It company doing something about it
When it hits the fan, make sure your locked, loaded, and ready to go!
The_Fifth_Horseman
01/24/18 02:19 AM

Quote:
Table './bgbtl_390irja/cbt_messages' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed

Don't comment much anymore (yes I'm THAT Fallguy) but I still lurk. Anyone know what goes on?

There are several possible causes, the most prosaic being that they ran out of space on the server hosting the MySQL database or there was a power interruption during a write operation. It's fixable.
Going by the displayed table name, it seems either it's forum posts or private messaging system that caused this.
Quote:
Well it looks like their issues are back or they got hacked again or someone didn't save the last update right and it crashed. Or they didn't pay their bill.

Issues are back, but there's no evidence that would support any of those theories. "Someone didn't save the last update right and it crashed" is not applicable, that's simply not how these things work.

Edited by The_Fifth_Horseman (01/24/18 02:29 AM)
Karagin
01/24/18 10:44 AM

Well The_Fifth_Horseman, I think you missed the joke or the sarcasm, but I will explain my comment since you quoted it, this always seems to happen when other major things are going on for BT, they had issues with HG site went down, they start pushing out more books, site goes down, the trend is there. Now if you are going to defend them and be their spokesman hey great, but understand that folks are going to make fun of them since they can't keep a website up and running and yet other sites can and have very few moments of being shut down for weeks at a time, so please spare us the company line.

Either something wasn't done right or they have other issues with their host and while it's not anyone's business but CGLs, folks are going to comment on it. Also others have shared their information as to why past events have caused shut downs and adding those bits to the current stuff one can see that CGL needs to have folks who's job is or are to keep the boards and webpage up and running and bot free. Now for an opinion, it seems that their priorites aren't on the website but more on the computer game version, which is fine, and that is their business.

This site goes down, Nic is on it pretty fast and it's back up in a day or two, Rick's site goes down same thing, Mordel's site goes down his team is on it and it's back with in a few days. The CGL forums go down...yeah they get to it when they can. It's a matter of perspective. Some will see their taking their time as a good thing, others won't.

Now they did at one point admit they got hacked, but I guess you say there is no evidence of that, okay. And the saved last night part was a joke, I am sorry if you don't get humor or things like that. I am surprised my WoB comment isn't being said to be false by you.

So tell us, since you seem to be acting in their defense, what do you know? Are you one of their computer people for their forums or are you someone offering their opinion?

Oh and Cray, before you toss certain things at me please PM first thanks.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
01/24/18 11:40 AM

I guess they are making sure things in the new books aren't leaked by having issues?

Now for the reasons of the crash.
I don't know, but I have seen more then a few issues with programs getting corrupted, like back up programs.
With windows doing their updates and such, there are times when old programs don't work right until the next update comes out. And this is not even going into the security holes that windows has.
Granted, they might be running Linux or something else, so this may be conjecture.

And not all hacks are successful. It could very well be, someone changed some of the coding, trying to install a back door, and has changed something important. Simple colon to semi colon is difficult to spot when going thru thousands of lines of text.

On top of this, if they did change programmers, and didn't get the full list of variants, a simple reuse of a variable can screw things up.

But the fact is, they are having re occurring issues, and are taking some time getting to them. For a private server for a message board, that might be fine, but for something that is a businesses official site, it isn't.

One final note.
If they ran out of room on there server drives, and this is not the first time, then they need to either archive things, or get another/upgrade the storage they do have.
FrabbyModerator
01/24/18 03:44 PM

Only the forum is down, the website as such is still up. And it features a brief message from CGL to the effect that they're aware of the problem, have "escalated" it to their vendor, and that they don't have an ETA.
TigerShark
01/24/18 06:19 PM

Ah, glad our little ray of sunshine came out today for his rant. lol Back on block.
The_Fifth_Horseman
01/24/18 07:11 PM

Quote:
Now if you are going to defend them and be their spokesman hey great, but understand that folks are going to make fun of them since they can't keep a website up and running and yet other sites can and have very few moments of being shut down for weeks at a time, so please spare us the company line.

I'm not here to defend them nor represent them, and was merely trying to clear up your apparent misunderstanding about what the error indicated.
Quote:
it seems that their priorites aren't on the website but more on the computer game version, which is fine, and that is their business.

Unlikely, CGL's involvement with that is limited at best and two other companies are handling the actual development and publishing.
Quote:
Now they did at one point admit they got hacked, but I guess you say there is no evidence of that, okay.

Occam's Razor - what we both know indicates a much more trivial cause, and the existence of a previous security breach does not warrant automatically blaming future issues on another such incident.
Quote:
Are you one of their computer people for their forums or are you someone offering their opinion?

Someone offering an opinion based on the knowledge and experience obtained while working as a backend developer .
Quote:
Granted, they might be running Linux or something else, so this may be conjecture.

Linux is the default for many web hosting services, and their apparent hosting provider doesn't have Windows server instances in its' offer to begin with (according to whois.domaintools.com, both catalystgamelabs.com and battletech.com are hosted by Digital Ocean) .

Edited by The_Fifth_Horseman (01/25/18 03:38 AM)
Wrangler
01/24/18 07:51 PM

CGL posted this on the 23rd.
"CatalystGameLab
CatalystGameLab
@catalystgamelab
ยท
Jan 23
Management is aware that the official Battletech forums are down. The problem had been escalated to our vendor and we do not currently have an ETA. We will keep everyone informed as we receive information."
Karagin
01/25/18 12:51 AM

Quote:
I'm not here to defend them nor represent them, and was merely trying to clear up your apparent misunderstanding about what the error indicated.

There was NO misunderstanding, I was make a joke and picking on them based on how they always have an issue with the forums and never can seem to have a back up ready to go, it seems you are the one who misunderstood things.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Wrangler
02/10/18 10:45 PM

I just wish this wasn't happening so often. -_-
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 201 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5843

Contact Admins Sarna.net