Downloads section

Pages: 1
FrabbyModerator
01/11/10 09:19 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Thanks Revanche for uploading MadCap's Objective Raids 3067 fanbook!

This made me think of other valuable fan work that would also be nice to have for download. I am thinking about Meta-Sources here, i.e. fan compilations of canonical information (as opposed to fanon/fan-made content that is made up), just like OR3067.
Xotl's Random Assignment Tables spring to mind, as does BlackAce's canonical warship list and Jal Phoenix's product list.
Perhaps also freeware game software, if it is legally possible. Generally, pending NicJ's consent, this might nicely augment Sarna's drive to be the ultimate one-stop site for all things BattleTech.

This in turn made me take a look at this site's download section.
I don't think we should have two separate download areas (Sarna download section and wiki download section), but the Sarna section probably needs to be reorganized. As it is, it is just an archive and not very user-friendly. Thoghts?
Nic JansmaAdministrator
01/11/10 11:56 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'd prefer people don't use the Mediawiki software (sarna.net/wiki/) for downloads for a couple reasons, primarily that all content is stored in the SQL database and revisions are kept around even if you don't want them to.

For all real "downloads", the real file-based Sarna Download section (sarna.net/files/) is the better way to go. I can also then serve that content (>4GB right now) from my CDN to lighten the load. Though at the moment, the area isn't user-contributable unless you email me

Do you have suggestions for how to make the downloads section more user friendly? Right now it's just a bunch of PHP scripts that pretty-up a file structure, and allow for searching and download counts.
-- NicJ
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3852

Contact Admins Sarna.net