Heroism under fire. Injured friends.

Pages: 1
DireWolf
07/26/02 05:36 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
This is a true story, which happened in my old company at the beginning of the week. I thought I'd share. Things like these do not happen every day. We usually hear them from war veterans.

Sunday, July 21st, 2002.
Dir El-Ballah, Gazza Strip.
Around midnight.

An Israeli ambush force notices three terrorists approaching an outpost. They open fire from their position, injure one terrorist, but fail to kill any of them. Liad, the commander of the second platoon in my old company, departs from the outpost as a rapid response force in an APC. The location of two of the terrorists are unknown. The last one is located hiding around the sand dunes on the beach. Liad, Amir and Gal disembark from the APC to comb the area by foot, they approach the suspected area with caution and proceed to fire and throw grenades into possible places of hiding. As it would later turn out, the grenade which landed right on top of the terrorist failed to explode.

The force of three descends to the beach, semi-confident in the fact they are looking for a dead body, but cautious nonetheless. As they round a sand dune, a single burst echoes in the distance. Amir and Gal fall to the ground, injured. The terrorist opened fire on them from a range of 20-25 meters. Amir took four bullets, two to his right elbow, one to his left and another one shattered his right knee. Gal took a single bullet which grazed his right side. Liad remained unhurt. The bulletproof vests worn by them saved them from certain death.

Then, by a turn of luck, the terrorist's weapon jams after he empties over half his clip at them. Liad turns to his right and opens fire, charging forward. The terrorist ducks behind cover, Liad closes the distance but runs out of ammunition before making contact. He charges at the terrorist bare-handed. After a near two-minute struggle, Liad removes his helmet and bashes the terrorist in the face several times, neutralizing him. Or so he thought. The moment he stops, the terrorist makes a last desperate move, he rolls a grenade out of his combat vest, but doesn't remove the safety pin due to being nearly unconscious. Liad, who doesn't know that, leaps backwards to escape the blast area. Then he takes the weapon from Gal, who crawls towards him, charges again, this time making sure the bastard stays dead.

None of the wounded are in danger as it stands now. But Amir will require nearly eight months and over 12 surgical operations to restore his elbows and knee to some semblance of normality. Bastards.

This event made alot of noise in the news around here, and even more so in my old company. This is the first time someone I know well (from day 1 in the army, in fact) was hurt in the line of duty. But at the same time, we're all damn proud to have commanders such as Liad. From day 1 in the army, we are taught one thing. When you spot the enemy, you make contact, and you kill him by putting you rifle against his head and pulling the trigger. The command "Forward ! Charge !", is considered near sacret to us. Liad is embodiement of all a soldier must be. All guts, and no need for glory.
-Lt. Lev (Res. Inf.) "Dire Wolf" Arris, IDF.

"What is it like fighting the Wolf ? Imagine a lightning with legs, an earthquake with arms, a catastrophe with genius or just pure hell on wheels".
ErichRaulfestone
07/26/02 12:01 PM

As heroic as it my be, the sensible to do would have been STAY with your injured comrades,
call in for backup, THAN get the bastard. That way, Liad would have changed magizines,
by which he could protect his wounded comrades and keep himself out of harms way.
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8

......and I went......
DireWolf
07/26/02 01:08 PM

If he wouldn't have charged him. He would've killed all of them.

I do not know what is the doctrine for CQB encounters in other militaries, but we are taught one thing. We fight to win. In order to win, you have to kill the enemy, and make sure he stays dead. When an infantryman in the IDF encounters an enemy from a range deemed as "charge" range (Around 30-35 meters, or less) we charge forward, firing several rounds, without aiming, every few steps. The idea is to keep their heads down till we get in close enough to kick them in the head.

In every kind of encounter, we strive to make physical contact with the enemy. We would set cover, run forward, cover for the other team and carry on until we are close enough to charge.

This might seem the craziest of tactics. But its the only one which insures an infantry made victory.

Remaining behind to cover the wounded would not have saved them as charging forward did, since the terrorist would've solved the jam, or thrown grenades.

In the IDF. A man who does not rise to charge forward is not even a coward. His commander, ever as low on the ranks as a squad leader, has the right and obligation to shoot him dead if he does not follow.

This is how we fight and win. You cannot argue with success.
-Lt. Lev (Res. Inf.) "Dire Wolf" Arris, IDF.

"What is it like fighting the Wolf ? Imagine a lightning with legs, an earthquake with arms, a catastrophe with genius or just pure hell on wheels".
novakitty
07/26/02 01:50 PM

It is amazing and oddly comforting to see that some people know how to win a war.
meow
ErichRaulfestone
07/30/02 01:35 PM

All I can say is you now (then) have wounded soldiers that could have been avoided. But I NVER questioned ther integrity or thier honor, and neer will.But again, you cnnot aurgue with being wounded.....
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8

......and I went......
Bob_Richter
07/30/02 05:36 PM

Yes, DEAD soldiers are not usually counted among the wounded.

Hardly an improvement, I think.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3523

Contact Admins Sarna.net