Definition

Pages: 1
chez
11/19/04 10:43 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I am a new member of Sarna and having trolled through previous posts and threads I have noted that the terms "munchkin , munchkinism , munch and munchy" are used on a regular basis.Obviously from the context I can see it refers to power gaming , rules lawyering etc but can someone actually define the point were a player stops being an experienced player , who understands the rules fully and designs his mechs well crosses the line and becomes a munchkin?
Is it anyone who plays anything other than lvl1?
Is it anyone who puts more than 4 medium lasers on a mech?
Is it anyone who uses clan pulse lasers\TC combo"

I read Karagins post about the difference between real men , role players , loonies and munchkins and I have to say I haven't laughed as hard in ages. What was fairly alarming was that I fell into all of the categories at some point.
Maybe we could use that as bench mark test?
Answer all questions honestly and if you score 5(?) or more it's official YOU'RE A MUNCHKIN!

Anyway for those of you who haven't read that post in while I recommend you do so if only for a giggle

chez
"In order to stab someone in the back it is first necessary to get right behind them" Sir Humphrey Appleby
SSFSX17
11/19/04 04:13 PM

A munchkin is someone who thinks that "fun" = "win by an overwhelming margin all the time without ever being willing to experiment except in a way that you believe may make you more powerful."

Of course, deep understanding of the rules and probability reveals that Clan Medium Pulse Lasers with a Targeting Computer is the way to achieving this.

The best way to stay out of that category is to be willing to play with:
- Stock designs
- Level 1
- Inner Sphere Level 2 (especially against the Clans)
- Stories and plots
- Weapons and equipment that are normally considered "useless, especially compared to Clan Medium Pulse Lasers and a Targeting Computer."

If you tell a player, "Come on, let's try something else (like one of the items listed above)," and he says, "No way," then he is undoubtedly a filthy and disgusting munchkin. Otherwise, if he says, "sure, I'd love to!" then he is a good man.
Lousy good-for-nothing mortals. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
chez
11/20/04 11:17 AM

Many thanks for clarifying that. I think I'm ok as I only play mechwarrior campaigns in lvl1 (lvl2 sucks big time , God only knows how bad lvl3 is )
However back to the theme of definitions. Many people use acronyms and a few of them I haven't worked out. These are
OTOH
IMO
IMHO
I'm sure there are others but I can't remember them at the moment

chez
"In order to stab someone in the back it is first necessary to get right behind them" Sir Humphrey Appleby
Gangrene
11/20/04 09:12 PM

The point when someone becomes a munchkin is completely subjective. For myself there is no hard and fast rule, but generally anything that is easily repititious, is intended for and is successful at skewing the underlying mechanics of the game is munchy. I could define it in terms of statistics, but its not worth the effort. Basically my definition encompasses clan large pulse laser-based mechs, anything that jumps over 6 or otherwise easily and consistantly creates a +4 or greater movement modifer.
Gangrene
Gangrene
11/20/04 09:14 PM

OTOH = on the other hand
IMO = in my opinion
IMHO = in my humble opinion
IMNSHO = in my not-so-humble opinion
Gangrene
Karagin
11/21/04 09:33 PM

A munchkin is someone who after being told that they are planning an RPG set in Renaisance Italy, still wants to play a ninja.

That is a quote i recall someone having said or posted before on this subject.

Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
11/22/04 08:13 AM

Quote:

A munchkin is someone who after being told that they are planning an RPG set in Renaisance Italy, still wants to play a ninja.

That's about it. Factions, setting/genre-appropriate characters, etc. are meaningless to the munchkin. Roleplaying guidelines are not as meaningful to a munchkin as that rarely-used optional rule in the Mega-Uber Combat Expansion Guidebook that lets the munchkin's characters ignore all damage for the duration of combat while dealing triple damage in return.

In fact, the Renaissance Italy ninja will probably more resemble this kind of ninja than any "realistic" ninja.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Silenced_Sonix
11/29/04 04:54 PM

Munchkin = someone who combines IS C3 modules with Clan targetting computers, Clan large pulse lasers and Clan gauss rifles on one 'Mech
Evolve or Die
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 98 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6179

Contact Admins Sarna.net