Fusion Engines

Pages: 1
JackGarrity
02/01/07 01:32 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Question, was/is/will there be any diagrams, drawings or whateer of a fusion engine with its various, variants? Occured to me the books talk a lot about 'The light fusion engine is.. etc, the XL engine is.. etc' and about armor shielding around it, but what Is the fusion core made of, acellrator rings and coils, boxes.. what?
Greetings Mechwarrior.
Toontje
02/01/07 03:39 AM

Hamster
Rather to blow up, then.
JackGarrity
02/01/07 06:08 AM

yes! the almighty hamster weeel of doom..
Greetings Mechwarrior.
Karagin
02/01/07 06:24 AM

I believe and I could be wrong the memory does fail as you get older, that one of the Stackpole novels or a Gray Death Legion novel had the info you are looking for. Or MW2 RPG book did.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Toontje
02/01/07 07:25 AM

You can also chose to wait a couple of years to see scaling up and down of real fusion plants; D-T-Li Tokamak or lasered D-T pellets, pick one.
Rather to blow up, then.
Fang
02/01/07 11:09 AM

pellets....hamsters eat pellets you know. Fusion powered hamster pellets makes for faster hamsters...or scary mutants...take your pick.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
CrayModerator
02/01/07 09:30 PM

Quote:

Question, was/is/will there be any diagrams, drawings or whateer of a fusion engine with its various, variants? Occured to me the books talk a lot about 'The light fusion engine is.. etc, the XL engine is.. etc' and about armor shielding around it, but what Is the fusion core made of, acellrator rings and coils, boxes.. what?

There's some artwork in the CBT:Companion around pg240.

However, you wouldn't be far off googling or google image searching "tokamaks," which seems to fit the fluff of BT 2nd edition and the CBT:Companion. Essentially, think of a hollow donut wrapped in magnetic coils.
http://www.plasma.inpe.br/LAP_Portal/LAP_Site/Figures/Tokamak_Schematic.gif
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
02/01/07 09:45 PM

There is that as well.
Karagin

JackGarrity
02/02/07 01:36 AM

Aha.. ok that can work with. becuase ive been staring at TDB and BMR and MT for.. almost a week non stop and some things have hit me about general construction fromsensors to skeleton and engines itself a way to redesign and still be within the general BT rules some things; is why i asked wanted to have a general idea of what the 'core looked like, tanks. heh
Greetings Mechwarrior.
CrayModerator
02/02/07 08:19 AM

Quote:

Aha.. ok that can work with. becuase ive been staring at TDB and BMR and MT for.. almost a week non stop and some things have hit me about general construction fromsensors to skeleton and engines itself a way to redesign and still be within the general BT rules some things; is why i asked wanted to have a general idea of what the 'core looked like, tanks. heh

If you want some detailed overviews of battlemech "guts," you can find some sidebars in ye olde BT 2nd edition, MW1 RPG, and the CBT:Companion. Those all cover the engine and many other facets of 'mech "guts". And TechManual's almost certain to have some details, too.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Fang
02/02/07 09:09 AM

MW:2nd Ed also has a few pics and such regarding Omni innards, iirc.
sdog
02/02/07 10:08 AM

i'm very doubtfull that tokamaks could be scaled down to such small sizes. just out of geometric reasons. physical systems can't just linearly scaled, the key word here is allometry (actually a biologic term,however it applies for every physical system, if you change scale.)

I realised soon that the fun part of playing a military game is that we have lots of lifes and in the end knowone dies, ...

- Skaven, ArmA modding community
CrayModerator
02/02/07 11:58 AM

Quote:

i'm very doubtfull that tokamaks could be scaled down to such small sizes.

In Battletech, 2nd edition booklet, pg31 sidebar:

"The fusion plant produces electricity by magnetohydrodynamics (MHD). Plasma from the fusion reaction is channeled by magnetic fields into a loop. This plasma is conductive, and the loop functions as a generator coil, producing both electricity and waste heat."

That's a description of a tokamak or stellerator if I heard one. There aren't a lot of other loop configurations for fusion reactors other than tokamaks and stellerators.

That 2nd ed description was repeated in the 3rd edition booklet, and was the basis for the CBT:Companion engine description.

Speaking from real world issues, the first toroidal magnetic containment systems (purely concept testing) were desktop-sized units. See figure 2 for a 1946AD device. Also, figure 3, lefthand picture, at the top, you can see a person standing inside a stellerator that would fit inside a 'mech's chest. Figure 5 shows another tokamak that would fit in a large mech's chest. These do show scaling.
http://www-fusion-magnetique.cea.fr/gb/fusion/histoire/site_historique.htm

Now, those mini-donut reactors do have the problem of not actually sustaining fusion power generation (or even reaching breakeven), but 'mech fusion engines use the protium-protium reaction so you're already doing serious handwaving to make a reactor smaller than a star work. At that point, an ITER-sized tokamak or a mech-scale tokamak are both equally difficult to believe. Canon said they're loop-type, so you might as well call them tokamak.

Karagin
02/02/07 12:55 PM

The old blueprints that FASA sold at one time did give an interesting look inside of the mechs...
Karagin

sdog
02/02/07 01:32 PM

i wasn't aware FASA wanted the engines to use simple hydrogen as fuel. Looks like they didn't do much research about it. but well, it's fiction and demanding to much realism and depth of detail is asked to much.

btw, was there any reasoning or try to explain why the fusion engines are suposed to explode? with a rather BIG explosion in fact. This seemed already quite absurd to me when i was reading BT fiction as a kid. For such small engine sizes only a very small amount of hydrogen is necessary, should oxidice if a little poof, if the containment is broken.

theres also never anything mentioned about radiation protection when maintaining the engines. A friend of mine had to clean a tokamak last year, and that's really no fun! (if i was her i would have threatened to resign)

I realised soon that the fun part of playing a military game is that we have lots of lifes and in the end knowone dies, ...

Toontje
02/02/07 01:51 PM

Reason why explosion?

Stackpole. It's still mainly fiction, with a drop here and there of sci.

(edit) Now MHD is some interesting way to generate electricity, apparently also useable for electrical generation from fossil fuel. Dunno if any plants are curently in operation.. and too lame to google today. (/edit)
Rather to blow up, then.

Edited by Toontje (02/02/07 01:55 PM)
sdog
02/02/07 03:04 PM

MHD generators have been en vogue in the 80s mainly. caused quite a lot of problems though, and fell out of favour. from what i've heard most investments in experimental setups in germany were done as it was a possible generator concept for high temperature reactors and fast breeders. when those concepts failed the need for MHD generators was lost.

this is information however i can't give any sources, as i only know it from hearsay from the lecture of a professor who's been in that buisness before he came to university.

but MHD in general is the physics branch that applies to tokamaks (all the problems the fusion people have are MHD and material problems, the fusion itself ain't so difficult) so mentioning MHD doesn't necesarily mean MHD generators. it's maybe the best concept however for such a small fusion engine. you've got a streaming plasma already, so you should get energy directly from it.

it's nice to hear however that the real reason for the reactor explosions the magical vacuum is, when the magical imps die.

Fang
02/02/07 04:53 PM

The magical imps die?!?!?! I thought they went to a happy place....with the hamsters....:(
CrayModerator
02/02/07 11:57 PM

Quote:

i wasn't aware FASA wanted the engines to use simple hydrogen as fuel. Looks like they didn't do much research about it. but well, it's fiction and demanding to much realism and depth of detail is asked to much.

sdog, you've been involved with BT long enough that I'm a bit surprised at this post. Just which BT rule books do you have?

There was, in fact, plenty of research by the writers and even some back of the envelope number crunching. For example:

Quote:

btw, was there any reasoning or try to explain why the fusion engines are suposed to explode?

A good question. This was discussed at length in a multitude of BT books.

The older MaxTech provided game rules on the engine explosions. However, in those rules is an interesting statement to the effect of, "Fusion engine explosions are physically impossible, but since they're fun and appear in the fiction, here's the rules."

The CBT:Companion has the current, most detailed description of the explosions (though no rules). The Companion's writing about fusion engine explosions is one of those cases where the writers were constrained by canon produced by the novel writers. The CBT:Companion writers damn well knew the engine explosions should not happen and, yes, were referencing current fusion research websites, but since explosions had been written into the game so often, the writers had to come up with some explanations.

Fortunately, the writers were able to do some quick calculations on latent heat and the basic gas laws, which provided a suitable explanation for 99% of fusion engine explosions. While the hydrogen in a fusion engine is below a milligram at operating temperature, the operating temperature is so high that when the engine is punctured and ambient air rushes in to fill the vacuum chamber, the air is flash-heated to several thousand degrees. Naturally, it expands. Vigorously. And at those temperatures with flash vaporized reactor lining entrained in the air, it creates quite a light show. Since it takes enormous damage to puncture the reactor, this sort of "explosion" tends to occur at about the same time the battlemech is falling apart. This leads to the over-used BT fiction cliche about a lambent ball of fire bursting out of the battlemech. It's not a real explosion. (And note that the hydrogen-oxygen combustion reaction plays no role in the event.)

The much rarer form of fusion engine explosion involves an intact reactor, a ballsy and stupid mechwarrior, and (again) latent heat in the plasma. Now, normally, the dead mass of the reactor vessel is enough to soak the latent heat of plasma in a complete containment failure. As was stated in 1986 in the BT 2nd edition rule book, and as was stated in the 2004ish CBT:Companion, this will frag key components of the reactor, but you won't have an explosion. However, the reactor shielding and vessel is not a model of thermal conductivity.

That leads to the deliberate "Stackpole" explosion, so named for the novelist that popularized it and caused so many headaches for the folks trying to write realistic descriptions of 'mech fusion reactors. In the Stackpole, a mechwarrior "floors the gas pedal" on his reactor, running up its power output as high as possible so the plasma is holding as much heat as possible, then kills the magnetic containment system as fast as possible (often by lobotomizing the engine control computers in the cockpit). The plasma expands, hits the reactor wall, and starts flash-cooling.

Given enough TIME, the total amount of heat left in the plasma would only leave the exterior of the reactor scorching to the touch (basic heat capacity calculations again), but there isn't time. At a couple bajillion degrees (bajillion is a very technical term used in fusion engineering to describe plasma temperatures ), the plasma ions will all very quickly collide with the reactor walls, giving them a chance to quickly dump their heat into the cold metal and ceramic. Again, these aren't very thermally conductive materials, so they can't move the heat quickly. What happens is that the innermost liner evaporates, spiking reactor pressures way beyond their design limits. (And, again, hydrogen-oxygen reactions play no part in the explosion.)

In short, you get a very high tech boiler explosion out of the deal.

Really, given a chance, the writers wouldn't even allow those explosions, but some novelists got away with it and didn't have a fact checking overview, so now BT is stuck with exploding fusion engines.

Quote:

but MHD in general is the physics branch that applies to tokamaks (all the problems the fusion people have are MHD and material problems, the fusion itself ain't so difficult) so mentioning MHD doesn't necesarily mean MHD generators.

However, the books do actually say MHD is the power generation method.

Quote:

theres also never anything mentioned about radiation protection when maintaining the engines.

Incorrect. You're either not checking your books or don't have the right ones.

Notably, very early on BT introduced radiation-shielded work platforms for maintaining battlemechs (as early as the MW1 RPG). These included waldos for getting into the reactor, anticipating the remote manipulator method used by JET (after its D-T series of experiments) by a decade.
http://ec.europa.eu/research/images/robotic.jpg

Much more recently you can find "radiation sheeting" in, IIRC, the Lostech book. This is intended for maintenance in the many radioactive components of BT spacecraft, mechs, etc. Engineers string it up to contain the radiation.

Edited by Cray (02/03/07 12:18 AM)
sdog
02/03/07 12:34 PM

I don't have the right books. And i've made an error in editing my posting, "in BT fiction" got lost. that's what i was mostly reffering too. It'd be better if i'd stfu, as i clearly don't have the full picture, however i always get drawn into those tech/physics based discussions....

It seems like some of the rulebooks go quite into detail, and are really hard scifi. kudos.

However, handling of low level to intermediate level wastes, mostly in form of fine dusts does conflict quite a bit with open fiel repairs. that's things that need to be done in underprezurized buildings, with lot of care, to prevent incorporation of radioactive dusts.

But that's again most likely more an issue with the fiction writers, than the actual people who work on the rulebooks. (I hope it is not considered trolling i keep on with it, after Cray's good response.)

Quote:

Really, given a chance, the writers wouldn't even allow those explosions, but some novelists got away with it and didn't have a fact checking overview, so now BT is stuck with exploding fusion engines.

Actually it's an interesting problem, everything that's ever writen becomes part of the universe, and can't be undone. so if some writers go on a fantastic rampage it takes a lot of handwaving from more tech oriented people to get a consistent universe with similar laws of nature as ours.

ps.: Cray, quite interesting read you posted, thanks.

CrayModerator
02/03/07 01:20 PM

Quote:

However, handling of low level to intermediate level wastes, mostly in form of fine dusts does conflict quite a bit with open fiel repairs. that's things that need to be done in underprezurized buildings, with lot of care, to prevent incorporation of radioactive dusts.

That's an interesting point. In fact, I haven't seen the dust issue dealt with directly, at least not for field maintenance. I'll keep it in mind.

Later handling of wastes...this has been addressed, but is pending publication. If you remember, ping this thread when TechManual is out.

Quote:

Actually it's an interesting problem, everything that's ever writen becomes part of the universe, and can't be undone. so if some writers go on a fantastic rampage it takes a lot of handwaving from more tech oriented people to get a consistent universe with similar laws of nature as ours.

It CAN be undone, but there has to be good cause. For example, when writing the recent House Handbooks, the writers sometimes found contradictory information between different, older sources in some cases. You had to pick one or the other. And when writing tech readouts, you sometimes find errors in the old material - like TR:3025's claim the Battlemaster was built for the Star League decades after the League collapsed, or that the Zeus was built a half century before the first battlemech, the Mackie. Those can't stand.

But "stackpoles," engine explosions, are too common and too well known to be removed. The CBT:Companion's explanations are the best that can be done - semi-plausible explanations that minimize the "nuclear fusion explosion" myth about engines.

KamikazeJohnson
02/04/07 04:00 PM

I know this is kinda off-topic here, but while reading Cray's post I was struck by how much fiction (particularly Sci-Fi) affects the real world in terms of technology and language.

Cray referred to the "Stackpole" effect...little doubt that if a real reactor ever managed to explode, that would be the official name of the mechanism that caused it.

And of course "waldos," a term first used in a Sci-Fi short story. And every gamer is familiar with "zerg" tactics.

I even watched a documentary once about modern technologies based on Star Trek...writers waved their hands to "invent" an impossible device to make their plot work, and fans thought "way kewl" and later invented a way to do it for real.

I just find it highly entertaining when authors throw something in because it makes for a good story, and then scientists develop new theories (sometimes even realities) to explain it.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
02/04/07 06:34 PM

Prime example those 3.5 inch diskettes that Kirk and the rest of them used...we have those...
Karagin

Toontje
02/04/07 08:38 PM

Quote:

*cough*aliens*cough*
Rather to blow up, then.
strife
02/07/07 11:24 AM

YEah i never really understood the fusion engines in BT either. you can have a 10-rated fusion engine that fits under your 87' honda's hood? And it can power a bunch of lasers and whatnot? As for it exploding....
"caliber fifty JUSTICE!"
CrayModerator
02/07/07 04:22 PM

Quote:

YEah i never really understood the fusion engines in BT either. you can have a 10-rated fusion engine that fits under your 87' honda's hood? And it can power a bunch of lasers and whatnot?

You can power lasers with a little dynamo hooked up to an exercise bike, it'll just take quite a while to charge up their capacitors.

And note even a 10-rated ICE can charge lasers in one turn with the aid of a power amplifier.

There's several estimates running around about the energy output of BT lasers. At the high end, it is fairly impressive for small engines to power lasers.

However, at the lower value of 12.5 megajoules, you'd need an engine with a few thousand kilowatts (or horsepower) of power output to charge a laser for one shot per turn. While that sounds impressive, there are gas turbines today that deliver 6000 horsepower for less than 500kg. Asking a fusion reactor to deliver several thousand horsepower shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:

As for it exploding....

Yes?

CrayModerator
02/19/07 04:01 PM

Quote:

The CBT:Companion has the current, most detailed description of the explosions (though no rules).

And this has now been surpassed by the Tech Manual, which takes some time to discuss fusion engine explosions in the intro to BattleMech construction under "The Great Myth" sidebar.

Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 15675

Contact Admins Sarna.net