What were they thinking!?!?!

Pages: 1
Tripod
05/30/07 02:33 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
...Post your mech design pet peves here...

whats up with the Madcat D (3050 readout, original print if there was a reprint...) with 2 rear facing streak 6's? i mean, face them forward and it's a killer!

ROE says they dont attack multiple targets...nor shoot one another in the back! ... i dont get it.
TBA
SCUM
05/30/07 03:17 PM

There are at least two prints, I have the 1990 and 1996 print.

1990 print TWolf D has 4 tons streak ammo
1996 print TWolf D has 3 tons streak ammo and an ERSLas
Jer 33:3
9th Kyu AOSRKKF
Promo Code:scumsentme
Karagin
05/30/07 10:43 PM

City fighting...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Karagin
05/30/07 10:52 PM

He is going off of the original one ie the 1990 one. Not the crappy reprint that was put out to cover the removal of the original 16 mechs that became Unseen due to the Lawsuit etc...
Karagin

CrayModerator
05/31/07 09:45 PM

Quote:

ROE says they dont attack multiple targets...nor shoot one another in the back! ... i dont get it.

That's half correct.

Clan ROE says no multiple targets (unless you want a general melee), but Clan ROE has no restrictions on back shots. A lame mechwarrior who lets an opponent into his rear arc gets what he deserves, according to the Clan military Darwinism. You might note that Clans are also not above sneak attacks and assassinations - see their "headhunter stars" in the Invading Clans SB. The soldiers who let their guards down, including the highest brass, are fair game.

Some Clans, like the Ice Hellions, sprout serious wood at the idea of taking speedy designs against heavier mechs and winning, and they won't win by standing apart at 30m and blasting away like Old West Gunfighters. They win by getting behind their lumbering opponents and ripping their thin-skinned rears some new holes.

And so there's the MadCat with twin rear-facing Streaks. The Ice Hellion that goes zipping behind that 'Mech with a Dasher or whatever goofy lightweight floats his boat is going to get a mean surprise.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Tripod
06/01/07 04:54 AM

understood, i thought rear shots were like physical attacks. frowned uppon untill someone does it, then it's fair game against them. im not big into the clans, so i dotn know all the rules...it's good to know your enemy though... : )
TBA
Askhati
06/02/07 08:41 AM

Which designs were removed due to the lawsuit, if I may ask?
Evolve or DIE!
Karagin
06/02/07 12:06 PM

Warhammer, Locust, Wasp, Stinger, Battlemaster, Archer, Ostscout and the other OST mechs, Thunderbolt, Wolverine, Shadow Hawk. Basically 16 of the most popular mechs had their artwork removed from the TRO and other BT books. And in doing so many folks stopped using them since there was no art for them.

In the revised version of TRO3025 and 3050 FASA under the guidance of Bryan Nystul, took the TRO 2750 and redrew most of the art in that one and put the mechs and vehicles to replace the missing mechs and their artwork. The new art for the 2750 mechs was very bad.

Later when WK and FP were running things several folks who had moved up in the ranks finial managed to get the Unseen back with new art and went with new stats (the old stats were never lost, fans just assumed if the art and miniatures are banned then the stats are too, and Nystul didn't do anything to correct this.) and thus the Project Phoenix.

Also around this time FASA also dumped the art work they had gotten from Victor Music Company, ie the color mech pictures in the original TRO3055. FP also felt they needed to redraw certain mechs to make them theirs so the Behemoth and others got redrawn, same kind of thing for 3058 TRO.
Karagin

Askhati
06/02/07 12:31 PM

What exactly was the lawsuit over? It is a bit before my time, so I am not familiar with any of the details.

Visually, the Archer pics that I have seen sofar reminded me alot of the Vulture, but whether this is intentional or not... *shrugs*
Evolve or DIE!
Karagin
06/03/07 12:14 AM

The lawsuit started when FASA sued Playmate Toys over using similar art and likeness of some of the mechs that made up BTs' main grouping of mechs.

Then Harmony Gold, the folks who gave us the US Version of Robotech, jumped in on Playmates' side and the fight in court became one of who had what rights to what. FASA claimed they had verbal okay from the original artist, Harmony Gold countered with the part that only they held the rights to said pictures etc...things got ugly fast.

FASA didn't have the money to fight both companies and settled out of court. They then pulled the art for all the mechs that any things to do with mechs that could be found in Robotech (aka Marcoss) or any other Anime that they had been using.

This is a very brief overview. I am sure that others have more details and their own comments as well on this. But the bottomline was that FASA felt it was better to remove the pictures and move on. And the law suit didn't do much for Harmony Gold, because a few years ago it came out that they never had the rights to Robotech via a case in Japan and now they are having their own set of issues.
Karagin

KamikazeJohnson
06/03/07 12:48 AM

Quote:

...Post your mech design pet peves here...

The JagerMech. Enough said (although I HAVE used one effectively). yeah, it has a role, but 2 lighter 'Mechs could fill the same role with greater mobility at a lower cost. Heavies are just too expensive for light fire support.

The Quickdraw in the 3050 TRO...2 OS SRM-4s...why not use 2 SRM-4s and a ton of ammo? Only possible justification is a paranoia about ammo crits...
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 171 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 9137

Contact Admins Sarna.net