First Battletech game!!

Pages: 1
GrantPrien
10/18/07 12:13 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hey guys!!

After asking the questions earlier thought I would check back! Using the basic "Quick start rules" Provided by CBT (NO heat) I played a round.

Been really busy lately so it was informal. Record keeping but it wasn't eh....serious... by any means. Casual play... And considering I played both sides (I have been able to play objectively since CrimsonSkies Boardgame) sorta wears on you

Anyway... Pitted my Dragon (To simplify+ making sense I had both lasers fire forword) and Vindicator against a opposing Trebuchet and Dervish.

Ended up with both opponents down, my Vindicator down and the Dragon 1 hit away from destruction!!!

It was fun though so If I can I will be getting the Tech Readouts (Maybe just the record sheets booklets.That is all I need.)

Great game!!!
Dester
10/18/07 12:35 PM

I'm glad you had fun !!!

I would encourage you to both find a friend or someone to play aginst, it really changes the dynamic of the game and becomes a game of positioning. Also, try your next round with heat, and leave the designs alone. Not many of the standard designs are what I would condider ideal, so don't worry about them being the most "effeciant" and stuff. Heat can really change the power of a Battlemech from good to unbelieveable. Take for example the Jenner. It has 4 med. lasers and 1 SRM-4 pack, each generating 3 points of heat for a total of 15 with only 10 heat sinks. So, not including movement, it could only fire 2/3 of its weapons each round if it didn't want to build heat. But if you have no heat, it can fire all its weapons every round and move how ever it wants.

I suggest that you get a copy of the "master rules" and get comfortable with all the level 1 rules before you delve to deeply into the Technical Read outs. Then start with the 3025 tech read... as it has all level 1 technical battlemechs in it. From there i would suggest, 2750, 3050, 3055, and finally 3058 if you keep wanting more and more designs.

For me personally, My battletech world ends after 3058 tech read out so i don't even really aknowlage that the rest exist .

You should really check out some more of the store here, other Battletech sites and stuff to if you like the genra. It has a rich background story to rivel the Star Wars and Star Trek Universes.

Dester
GrantPrien
10/18/07 04:55 PM

Yes I agree. But the CBT quick start had no heat rules So when I can I will get the BT rules.

Probably I will try and get a FASA boardgame set that includes the rules I think.

Anyway. Good and I will be looking for rules, and anything else related
Karagin
10/20/07 09:45 PM

He may want to get Total Warfare since that is the new rule set and does away with levels of tech etc...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
GrantPrien
10/21/07 07:47 PM

What exactly are the levels of tech? I wonder because I have heard of it and I dont know which is better.

From what I heard I almost think possibly the older FASA battletech is a little better than the new WK/CBT version? I know I heard some people displeased with some of the new mechs they introduced.
Tripod
10/22/07 05:30 AM

new mech designs i can see someone being disgusted with, as well as some new equipment they use. BUT, the new rules are for the most part more streamlined and all together work better. dont worry about learning the old rules, then learning the new ones later, it will help them make sence imo.

also, the levels of tech your hearing about...

level 1 is whet you've seen so far, 3025 tech manual.

level 2 reffers to the older, star leage mechs and equipment before the succession wars ravaged the inner sphere causing a regression in technology( to level 1 ) 2750 tech manual, also including the advancement after the 4th succession war, 3050 and 3055 tech manuals.

level 3 reffers to 3058 and beyond.
TBA

Edited by Tripod (10/22/07 05:40 AM)
Karagin
10/23/07 12:37 AM

Levels

Level 1 is anything related to 3025 and it's era. All the mechs in TRO3025 and the vehicles in TRO3026

Level 2 is anything related to the Clans, or IS after the Gray Death Legion find a memory core that has Star League Tech in it. So TRO2750 and TRO3050 and up.

Level 3 is anything not covered by the rules books, or found in the Tactical Handbook or MaxTech.

Level 4 or Home tech, this is player made stuff, unoffical and use at your own risk.
Karagin

GrantPrien
10/23/07 01:00 AM

ah.....ok....

If I got a FASA TR3050.....how much un-compatible would it be with the new CBT?

I ask because around here I occasionally see old FASA Battletech stuff but no new CBT...However If I got some stuff online it would probably be new CBT.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Karagin
10/23/07 01:19 AM

It's fully compatible...you can use anything in there with the new stuff. Nothing is unusable, though some of the rules have changed to reflect better ways of explaining how to do things and some of the typos fixed etc...but everything in TRO3050 the original one is 100% usable.
Karagin

GrantPrien
10/23/07 07:42 PM

Great!!! Well. I will be looking for various items and hopefully I can get another BT game going

When I can I will probably get
http://www.classicbattletech.com/index.php?action=products&mode=full&id=220
Then TR3050 (Hey what can I say....Clans look great to me )

Then branch out from there. That appears to be the main rules system. And from there all the Tech readouts and other ones will make sense

I probably wont go into the "Maximum tech" for a good while....Looks confusing until I get used to the gameplay

Anyway. Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Once I get some more stuff and have experimented awhile I will report back!!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 222 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8162

Contact Admins Sarna.net