As-1K Ashigaru

Pages: 1
Lafeel
01/02/08 05:15 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Been lurking around for a while, mostly just reading the varios designs, before finally working up the guts to join, and actually post a design of my own.

Please go relatively easy on me, guys, it's my first design from scratch.

As-1K Ashigaru

Mass: 40 tons
Chassis: Chadran Arms M-1 Endo Steel
Power Plant: Pitban 240 standard
Cruising speed: 64 kph
Maximum speed: 97kph
Jump Jets: none
Jump Capability: none
Armour: Durallex Medium with c.a.s.e.
Armament:
1 Victory Nickel Alloy Extended Range Large Laser
1 Shigunga MRM-10
1 Victory 23R Medium Laser
2 Machine Guns
Manufacturer: Chadran Arms Limited
Primary Factory: Nykvarn
Communication System: Sipher CommSys 4 (under license from Luthien Armor Works)
Targeting and tracking system: Eagle Eye SY10-10 (also licensed from L.A.W.)

Overview:
Chadran Arms is a small manufacturer that recently opened a factory on the world of Nykvarn, which had been under Clan Smoke Jaguar occupation for nearly ten years.
Their first design (this one) was at the behest of the Dragon, who had, after seeing the performance of the AFFC's Watchman and Sentry designs during the incursion into the Draconis Combine in 3064, put forward a requirement for a cheap, reliable, but effective medium mech.

Capabilities:
Ironically the design takes a page from a clan mech. In this case the new Griffin IIC-4, used to great effect by clan Nova Cat, although it was impossible to match all the capabilities of said design while remaining true to the overall requirements.
Built around a standard engine, and proven parts, the design fit the price requirement easily, due to it's quite impressive per unit price tag of less than 3,6 million C bills.
The only real concession to modern parts were in the armament, the construction of the chassis, and in the use of double heat sinks and cellular ammunition storage equipment, both of which were identified as musts on the modern battlefield.
Fairly mobile for a mech of it's tonnage, the Ashigaru's main armament is the well proven Victory ER Large Laser, which has served the DCMS in over thirty years of extensive use, both in the Mauler, and the AS-7K Atlas designs.
While the secondary weapon system, being a medium range missile launcher, is more recent, the back up weapon to those, the medium laser has centuries of service under it's design's belt, having been used in the Jenner design throughout it's service.
As a final, cost effective, weapon a pair of machine guns were added to the design towards the end of the design process. While they add little in the way of actual fire power, they do give the design more multi role capability, which was felt to be a good thing.
With eight and a half tons of armour backed by c.a.s.e the design is certainly robust, and can withstand the loss of one arm without any loss of firepower (the right one) or even both, with only a minimal loss of firepower (the machine guns).
All in all the design ticked all the boxes of the requirement with ease.

Deployement:
While the Ashigaru has not seen actual combat yet, a simulated battle between a single example of the design and two Panthers proved the design's capabilities, as it beat them both, while surviving itself, although not without considerable damage.
Chadran Arms has already accepted orders for a full regiment's worth of the design from the DCMS, intending mostly to replace older designs in militia units well inside the Combine's borders, and also to be used in some of the mech academies, both roles that the design should excell in.
There is no intention, at this time, for this design to face the clans, as such a matchup would undoubtebly end poorly for the design.

Variants:
Two variants of the design exist, both of which involve removing the machine guns and their ammuntion, and the movement of the medium laser to the left arm in their place.
The first replaces the machine guns with a head mounted C3 Slave, using the extra half ton to mount a small laser alongside the medium laser.
The second replaces the machine guns with a head mounted Beagle Active Probe, turning the mech into a fairly effective scout.
No orders have been made for either variant as of yet, but the DCMS's procurement office is considering them both.

Code:
Type: Ashigaru
Technology base: Inner Sphere
Tonnage: 40

Equipment mass
Internal Structure: Endo Steel 2.0
Engine 240 11.5
Walking mp: 6
Running mp: 9
Jumping mp: 0
Heat sinks: 10(20) 0
Gyro: 3
Cockpit: 3
Armor factor: 136 8.5

Internal Armor
structure Value
Head 3 8
Center Torso 12 16
Center Torso(rear) 8
R/L Torso 10 14
R/L Torso (rear) 6
R/L Arm 6 12
R/L Leg 10 20

Weapons
and ammo Location Critical Tonnage
ER Large Laser CT 2 5
MRM 10 RT 2 3
Ammo (mrm-10) LT 1 1
Medium Laser H 1 1
2 Machine guns LA 2 1
Ammo (machine guns) LT 1 .5
C.A.S.E LT 1 .5

Cost: 3.515.260 C bills
Battle Value: 1163

Edited by Lafeel (01/02/08 05:34 PM)
Karagin
01/02/08 06:18 PM

I like the fluff, it has a nice fill point and makes sense. Over you have made a nice average mech. While I am not a fan of the MRMs, you used them since you have the mech being from the Combine, so again you have tied it into the background very nicely.

Overall a decent mech and one that I would use if I get the chance.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Lafeel
01/02/08 08:46 PM

I was originally thinking to use multiple missile launchers, ironically. But two factors made me pick mrm's instead:
Price (the mml's are more expensive) and the fact that they are mainly a Wobbie weapon.

Might make a later variant using them, instead.

edit: If you can use it in the boardgame, go right ahead. I'm currently without a player to play against myself.

edit: apologies for any spelling mistakes in this, and future, posts. English is not my first language, Icelandic is.

Edited by Lafeel (01/02/08 10:56 PM)
Askhati
01/05/08 03:15 PM

My dear Lafeel, your English is better than that of most Americans and Brits I know.

As for the 'Mech: ditto what Karagin said. For something that size, I would have expected either a higher speed, or at least a set of jumpjets to match your current speed, but I guess your emphasis was on armour and firepower. Very nice for a first attempt.
Evolve or DIE!
Lafeel
01/05/08 06:10 PM

Armour, firepower, and above all else a reasonable price tag. I could have put in jump jets without sacrificing anything (light engine), but it would have seriosly increased the price tag, which was against the fluff reason for making the design in the first place.
Tripod
01/06/08 03:19 AM

You could drop the MG's for jump jets. That only gets you 3 jump mp though, at the cost of versatility. just a thought...
TBA
Lafeel
01/06/08 03:50 AM

True, but 3 jump mp isn't really enough to be worth it, unless you're a assault mech, if you ask me.

Still it is a idea for yet another variant, if nothing else.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 307 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6689

Contact Admins Sarna.net