1 Flamer LT 1 1
1 Flamer RT 1 1
1 Guardian ECM CT 2 1.5
1 Flamer RA 1 1
1 Medium Pulse Laser RA 1 2
Totals
36 7.5

Overview:
Many of Ground Zero's clients tend to engage in actions ofespionage and subterfuge with sabotage through in for good measure. A request was put forth for a mech that could get behind enemy lines and possibly disrupt supply routes and harass storage depots and enemy caches. After months of planning, the Fiery Rose was the result.

Capabilities:
The Rose is faster than most mechs its size. It is a on the expensive side, but there is a reason for all the advanced tech in its construction. The XL engine allows it to obtain insane speed. The endo steel chassis and ferro armor allow for added weight for weapons and equipment. The Rose carries a Guardian ECM to allow it to slip past enemy lines fairly unnoticed. The original plans called for Stealth armor and an Angel ECM, but these were deemed impractical and the easier to obtain ferro armor and Guardian unit were used instead. Once embedded and unseen, the pilot can then start the job of harrassing and demolition. The Rose sports weapons ideal for this profile in the form of three reactor driven mech flamers with a medium laser and medium pulse laser to help it deal with any mechanized resistance.

Configuration / Variants:
No variants are planned at this time, though there is talk of removing the Guardian unit and down grading the pulase laser to a standard model. The changes in weight would be used to mount a STREAK SRM 2 modula and one ton of Inferno ammunition.

Deployment:
The Fiery Rose is currently deployed with the merc unit Stonkin Mechs Inc as well as with several other mercenary units who have asked they not be identified at this time. Currently, only House Liao and Steiner have expressed significant interest in the design.
One by one, the rabbits are stealing my sanity.....
Fang
02/13/08 05:13 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I just realized that for some odd reason I placed the views and comments question in the middle of the post instead of at the end. that musta looked kinda odd.
Haruspex
02/14/08 11:05 AM

Seems alright for it's purpose. No ammunition dependance, which lets it work extended campaigns. Decent speed and ECM, so no problem with avoiding fire. One suggestion though, I think switching the Medium Laser to an ER version would let it strike from further away, which is always good for light 'Mechs.
"If we were to plot the distance between where you are RIGHT NOW and the nearest good idea it would describe a line too big to fit inside the universe."

-Black Mage
Dester
02/15/08 06:46 PM

Few things bug me about this mech.

First, its fast, but lacks jumpjets to get out of the way when cornered. and really lacks the firepower to fight its way out of lighter mechs.

Next, why so many flamers, really 1 should do the job of setting things on fire and then scooting.

I think i would remove a couple of flamers and add MASC and a TAG.

MASC will help it get out of the are asap after it delivers its payload. TAG would help it destroy hardened targets such as bunkers, supply depots ect with the help of some Arrow equiped mechs.

Just some thoughts.
Dester
Haruspex
02/16/08 02:52 AM

Hmm. TAG would be useful, but only if missile support is available. MASC is good, but since it's land speed it wouldn't help if the 'Mech was cornered. Ditching two flamers, and then switching both lasers to ER Mediums, you could mount six jump jets, which gives a jump distance of 180 meters. Not top, but enough for negotiating most obstacles.

Just my opinion.
"If we were to plot the distance between where you are RIGHT NOW and the nearest good idea it would describe a line too big to fit inside the universe."

-Black Mage
Fang
03/05/08 01:55 PM

Well, it is not meant to stick around long enough to get into corners. I put multiple flamers, because if I remember correctly, heat damage from flamers is cumulative. So, if one flamer hit raises targets heat, then three flamer hits = extreme hot foot. Also, it has been my experience that jumping mechs tend to attract attention. More mobile, yes, but throws up a sign that says"Here I am!" Just my opinion of course.
Drasnighta
03/06/08 06:28 PM

At 10/15, it shouldn't be cornered by any stretch of the imagination... Personally, I don't think its worthwhile throwing jump jets on it unless you can get that magic "8" Jets...

I could imagine a field-swap variant which switched all those weapons to Medium Lasers however... Sort of a backward anti-mech refit... Could be popular as a light 'mech hunter at that point.

Just my 2 Australian Cents after all... They're creeping up in Value! Almost worth 1/95th of a US Cent each at the moment!
CEO Heretic BattleMechs.
Haruspex
03/14/08 07:19 AM

I'm just a big fan of jump jets in general. Not always practical, true, but nice to hop over hills and rivers and the like. But this design seems to work well enough without them, from what I can see.

-Black Mage
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
06/19/08 01:02 AM

I have two mechs that can trash it. One 25 ton that has 12/18 speed with 6 Med lasers. Also a 35 ton that has 9/14 speed that has one ER Large Laser with 6 Mad Lasers. Both can stay out of range of the flamers and trash your mech. Mine are not meant to hide. There both meant to run away real fast.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Fang
06/19/08 08:33 AM

probably so, but this mech is not intended to mix it up with other mechs toe to toe. 12/18 with 6 medium lasers? does it have ANY armor? or do you use a lot of lvl3 type tech? just curious is all.
06/19/08 10:47 PM

No L3 tech but it does use L3 rules. I would like to know the 25 ton mach that has anything but wishes for armor.

300xl engine
endo steel
double heat sinks
??? Is XL gyros L2 or L3? I cant remember. If XL gyros are L3 than thats the only L3 tech on the mech.

Med lasers are quite light there only problem is that used in numbers they spike heat levels. but with 10 double heat sinks 6 med lasers and running is 20 heat.

The mechs weapons and armor add up to 12.75 tons
6 med lasers 2 MGs .25 MGA and 5.5 tons of armor. I thought about giving it ferro-fibrous armor and adding an extra MG but decided that in the IS finding FF armor for repairs would be to much trouble. This is the only IS mech design that I thought of giving FF armor to. Since its real defense is speed and not armor. I might retrofit it with Clan FF armor and MGs. For 4.5 tons of Clan FF armor and 8 Clan MGs with .25 ammo. The MGs would have 6 shots in total but thats a lot of damage at one time. With the 6 med lasers thats up to 42 damage per turn. Thats impressive for a 25 ton mech. Of course it has to be up close and personal. Think what that would do to an armored infantry unit.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Fang
06/20/08 09:06 AM

fractional accountung is lvl 3 afaik
Fang
06/20/08 09:20 AM

Okay. Using The Drawing Board and lvl2 technology, the engine alone would only leave 7 tons for weapons, ammo and armor. that is with an XL engine. with 6 medium lasers, that leaves one ton for armor. I gave it ferro and endosteel, bringing it to 2 tons of armor. XL gyros are aparently lvl 3 technology as is the ability to add IS MG ammo in quarter ton allotments. As far as I know, in lvl1 and lvl2, ammo has to be in one ton allotments except for MG which can be in half ton. Not trying to burst any bubbles or anything, just running the numbers myself and reporting what I got. Still, 12/18 with 6 medium lasers is not something any other light wants to run into.
Lafeel
06/20/08 10:35 AM

Quote:

fractional accountung is lvl 3 afaik

Last time I checked, it is. Dates back to the FASA days.
Quote:

XL gyros are aparently lvl 3 technology

Not any more they're not. The Catalyst games Tech Manual includes them in the options you can use.

Edited by Lafeel (06/20/08 10:41 AM)
Fang
06/20/08 11:25 AM

Ok. didn't know. Lastest info I have is from the battetech compendium and the tactical handbook dated 1994 put out by FASA. Guess I am kind of an old fogey resistant to these new fangled ideas. You crazy kids and your fractional accounting and xl gyros and flying cars and stuff.
It is sad. I have a hard time excepting much that happened past the fedcom civil war, and the whole jihad thing was a bit alternate universy to me. did they ever try to do anything to fix that mess?

Edited by Fang (06/20/08 11:28 AM)
Lafeel
06/20/08 11:27 AM

Lol, more old school myself, as you may have noticed. You don't see me using fractional accounting, xl gyroes, small cockpits, or such like..

edit:
Quote:

It is sad. I have a hard time excepting much that happened past the fedcom civil war, and the whole jihad thing was a bit alternate universy to me. did they ever try to do anything to fix that mess?

Wish I could say that they did, but I'd be lying, mate. That having been said it doesn't mean us players can't come up with our own version of Battletech history, if we like, does it?

Edited by Lafeel (06/20/08 11:31 AM)
06/20/08 07:00 PM

Quote:

Okay. Using The Drawing Board and lvl2 technology, the engine alone would only leave 7 tons for weapons, ammo and armor. that is with an XL engine. with 6 medium lasers, that leaves one ton for armor. I gave it ferro and endosteel, bringing it to 2 tons of armor. XL gyros are aparently lvl 3 technology as is the ability to add IS MG ammo in quarter ton allotments. As far as I know, in lvl1 and lvl2, ammo has to be in one ton allotments except for MG which can be in half ton. Not trying to burst any bubbles or anything, just running the numbers myself and reporting what I got. Still, 12/18 with 6 medium lasers is not something any other light wants to run into.

First I did say I was using L3 rules aka the use of FA.

The last I checked (aka right now looking at the book as I type) a 300XL engine is 9.5 tons and not 18 tons. The 300 engine is 19 tons. I would like to know where did you got your 18 ton number? the XL gyro is 1.5t ES IS is 1.25t and weapons and armor comes up to 12.75t as I posted before.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
06/20/08 07:09 PM

Quote:

Ok. didn't know. Lastest info I have is from the battetech compendium and the tactical handbook dated 1994 put out by FASA. Guess I am kind of an old fogey resistant to these new fangled ideas. You crazy kids and your fractional accounting and xl gyros and flying cars and stuff.

Well I have a hard time believing in 30 foot high battle mechs. In the real world all they would be is large targets saying "Shoot me!" The smaller the surface area the less likely that the machine will be hit or seen. But Battle tech is a fun throw back to the 1930s SiFi comics. We might see battle armor but thats about it. Yes I am old but I am not old enough nor are my parents to have seen the 1930s That was my grandparents time to be snot nosed little brats.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Christopher_Perkins
06/20/08 09:58 PM

Quote:

Lol, more old school myself, as you may have noticed. You don't see me using fractional accounting, xl gyroes, small cockpits, or such like..

You arnt zactly old school.... OLD school used fractional accounting and Liked it...

FA was for the most part in BM:TROW and BTC before it and 15 ton mechs got curbized in MaxTech.

Quote:

edit:
Quote:

Wish I could say that they did, but I'd be lying, mate. That having been said it doesn't mean us players can't come up with our own version of Battletech history, if we like, does it?

The writers make the universe... its the fans who are trying to create the alternates

One Timeline to Rule them All,
In the Republic, were war once again casts its shadow.

I mean really... the Peace between the Jihad and the Dark age is only like what... 40 years... thats only twice as long as the gap between 3028 and 3049...
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Fang
06/21/08 04:40 PM

Ok, here it goes. I started playing Battletech 2nd edition new from the box when I was 17. No fractional accounting was ever used at that time. As that was 19 years ago, I am not sure when FA entered the picture. I learned to play using my little cardboard standups of a Wasp and a Wolverine. To his royal donkey ass whatever, I tend to use a piece of software called The Drawing Board, where FA and such is allowed when creating lvl3 machines and such. Any numbers that conflict, I would need to double check. one sec please..* tap tap tap tappity tap tappity tap* ok, here we go: The fusion XL engine needed to make a 25 tonner move 12/18 would weigh 9.5 tons, rounded off. Endosteel is 1.5 tons, rounded up. Leaves 8 tons for your six medium lasers and 2 tons of armor. I used ferro armor as to increase the meager coverage. SIx medium lasers do not require additional heatsinks as the ten double heatsinks are carried in the engine and cover the 20 heat caused by an alpha strike and running easily. in the compendium, all fractions are rounded up or down for equipment as listed in the weapons and equipment rules. You use FA? that's cool, nvr said it was not. You use XL gyros and lvl 3 tech? cool. And it seems the updated game actually includes what I have been used to being lvl 3 techa s lvl 2 now( or some of it anyway) that is fine too. Just telling you what this ole fogey got using old school rules.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 327 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10638

Contact Admins Sarna.net