Fluff for Machine Guns

Pages: 1
Christopher_Perkins
04/25/08 11:13 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Here are the Mechwarrior / BattleTech RPG 3rd Edition stats for some BattleTech Machine Guns, this is primarily useful as fluff, but occasionally you will wish to chastise your RPG characters with fire or use your vehicles to put down a Rebellion of hordes of NPCs. Note: BattleTech MGs are not Expressly given (nor denied, for that matter) the capability to change their rates of fire...

OTOH... Should you wish to do so under house rules, Heavy MG can fire at Light and Medium Rate with the ranges, damages, and ammo consumption, and Medium (Standard) MGs can fire at the Ammo Consumtion, Damage and Range of Light MGs...

Note: with the Volume of Fire you will see why BattleField Class BattleTech MG are rarely, if ever, Depicted in Single Barrel Arrangements.

20 mm Light Machine Gun
BT = 1
AP = 7
Damage Dice = 7d6
Burst = 3 shots per burst
Ammo = 600 shots / 200 Bursts per ton (yeah, baffels me too, but they said it, not me)
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

20 mm Machine Gun
BT = 2
AP = 7
Damage Dice = 7d6
Burst = 23 shots per burst
Ammo = 4,600 shots / 200 Bursts per ton
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

20 mm Heavy Machine Gun
BT = 3
AP = 7
Damage Dice = 7d6
Burst = 44 shots per burst
Ammo = 4,400 shots / 100 Bursts per ton
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

the three previous machine guns have made it to the canon in only the Bear Hunter, How ever you sill often see Innersphere Units fluffed as having 20 mm Miniguns or similar weapons. Note, this could actually be the damage class for 15 mm, however, i do not think so... and the art for the Bear Hunter is disturbingly close to the 3 Barrel Variant of the RW 20 mm MG.

12.7 mm Light Machine Gun (Bal Ammo) (Same Ammo As Support MG, but a much faster ROF)
BT = 1
AP = 5
Damage Dice = 5d6
Burst = 23 shots per burst
Ammo = 4,600 shots / 200 Bursts per ton (yeah, baffels me too, but they said it, not me)
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

12.7 mm Machine Gun (Bal Ammo) (Same Ammo As Support MG, but a much faster ROF)
BT = 2
AP = 5
Damage Dice = 5d6
Burst = 63 shots per burst
Ammo = 12,600 shots / 200 Bursts per ton
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

12.7 mm Heavy Machine Gun (Bal Ammo) (Same Ammo As Support MG, but a much faster ROF)
BT = 3
AP = 5
Damage Dice = 5d6
Burst = 103 shots per burst
Ammo = 10,300 shots / 100 Bursts per ton
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

the BattleTech Machine Gun is often fluffed as 12.7 mm or something similar, as such this is probably the one that will be the easiest for your groups to understand.

12.7 mm Light Machine Gun (AP Ammo)
BT = 1
AP = 6
Damage Dice = 4d6
Burst = 24 shots per burst
Ammo = 4,800 shots / 200 Bursts per ton (yeah, baffels me too, but they said it, not me)
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

12.7 mm Machine Gun (AP Ammo)
BT = 2
AP = 6
Damage Dice = 4d6
Burst = 66 shots per burst
Ammo = 13,200 shots / 200 Bursts per ton
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

12.7 mm Heavy Machine Gun (AP Ammo)
BT = 3
AP = 6
Damage Dice = 4d6
Burst = 108 shots per burst
Ammo = 10,800 shots / 100 Bursts per ton
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

Little More than an Ammo change from the previous design. Other Variant Ammos are found on Page 128 of LosTech, Run them through the IPCR (Combat Operations, p.62) as well. Note, while Real world ammo bins will have 4 AP and 1 Tracer or some such combo, the IPCR does not allow for this (unless you do it by averaging)

7.62 mm Light Machine Gun (Bal Ammo) (Same Ammo As Portable and Semi-Portable Machine Gun, but a Faster ROF)
BT = 1
AP = 5
Damage Dice = 4d6
Burst = 33 shots per burst
Ammo = 6,600 shots / 200 Bursts per ton (yeah, baffels me too, but they said it, not me)
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

7.62 mm Machine Gun (Bal Ammo) (Same Ammo As Portable and Semi-Portable Machine Gun, but a Faster ROF)
BT = 2
AP = 5
Damage Dice = 4d6
Burst = 83 shots per burst
Ammo = 16,600 shots / 200 Bursts per ton
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

7.62 mm Heavy Machine Gun (Bal Ammo) (Same Ammo As Portable and Semi-Portable Machine Gun, but a Faster ROF)
BT = 3
AP = 5
Damage Dice = 4d6
Burst = 133 shots per burst
Ammo = 13,300 shots / 100 Bursts per ton
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

the BattleTech Machine Gun is at least once often fluffed as 7.62 mm or something similar, Note, Tech Manual states that the Innersphere Light Machine Gun is Based on the Semi-Portable Machine Gun... so this is what the Light Machine Gun should be fluffed as to stay close to the Canon.

7.62 mm Light Machine Gun (AP Ammo) (Same Ammo as the Semi-Portable Autocannon but a Faster ROF)
BT = 1
AP = 6
Damage Dice = 3d6
Burst = 38 shots per burst
Ammo = 7,600 shots / 200 Bursts per ton (yeah, baffels me too, but they said it, not me)
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

7.62 mm Machine Gun (AP Ammo) (Same Ammo as the Semi-Portable Autocannon but a Faster ROF)
BT = 2
AP = 6
Damage Dice = 3d6
Burst = 94 shots per burst
Ammo = 18,800 shots / 200 Bursts per ton
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

7.62 mm Heavy Machine Gun (AP Ammo) (Same Ammo as the Semi-Portable Autocannon but a Faster ROF)
BT = 3
AP = 6
Damage Dice = 3d6
Burst = 149 shots per burst
Ammo = 14,900 shots / 100 Bursts per ton
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

Note, Tech Manual states that the Innersphere Heavy Machine Gun is Based on the Semi-Portable Autocannon... so this is what the Heavy Machine Gun should be fluffed as to stay close to the Canon. Frankly its one of the biggest mistakes in the canon but ridicule hasn't exactly worked to get them to fix it... This is also the Calibre that lead to Pintle Mounted Support Weapons Being denied to Support Vehicles larger than 5000 kg when a play testor, knowing that one full load of ammo was free with the weapon under the SUV rules saw 200 shots and 3 damage and freaked... and got the rules changed mid way though production in what is noticibly slip shod manner (it is easy to miss that the rule was contrindicated on larger vehicles since this was changed in only a few places out of the related rules)
Too bad the Play testor was still stuck in Mechwarrior 2nd Edition... as you see above under the Infantry Platoon Creation Rules and Mechwarrior / Classic BattleTech RPG 3rd Edition, 200 Shots for the Semi-Portable Autocannon is only enough to fire once at the 3 damage rate...
Unfortunately the Powers that Be have chosen to keep this error in place...
Luckily a related error in the BACR rules was changed so that you could have an unlimited amount of ammo in a single Ammo Slot for Non-Missile Weapons... a definate Step in the Right Direction, with the old rules it was almost impossible to get a powered BattleArmour Suit to be able to fire more than a turn or two This error is related because it had the same "1 Shot = 1 BT shot" misconception as its point of origin.

5.56 mm Light Machine Gun (AP Ammo) (Same Ammo As Light Machine Gun, but a Faster ROF)
BT = 1
AP = 5
Damage Dice = 3d6
Burst = 49 shots per burst
Ammo = 9,800 shots / 200 Bursts per ton (yeah, baffels me too, but they said it, not me)
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

5.56 mm Machine Gun (AP Ammo) (Same Ammo As Light Machine Gun, but a Faster ROF)
BT = 2
AP = 5
Damage Dice = 3d6
Burst = 116 shots per burst
Ammo = 23,200 shots / 200 Bursts per ton
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

5.56 mm Heavy Machine Gun (AP Ammo) (Same Ammo As Light Machine Gun, but a Faster ROF)
BT = 3
AP = 5
Damage Dice = 3d6
Burst = 183 shots per burst
Ammo = 18,300 shots / 100 Bursts per ton
Non-Splash
Non-Incendiary

the BattleTech Machine Gun is at least once often fluffed as 5.56 mm or something similar. if not for this I would leave this off.
Note, very few modern day 5.56 mm shells are stated to have a 50% chance of penetrating a given thickness of Rolled Homogenous Steel Armour...
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 232 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4596

Contact Admins Sarna.net