tournament idea

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
01/06/09 05:53 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I have thought of a tournament idea that is based on ones ability to field a fighting force over the long term, with having to pay for repairs and supplies out of your starting funds. Think of your battling over an entire continent. You meet on the middle and have to fight all the way to the other persons base on the other side of the continent. Say you need to win ten battles in a row to get to your opponents base. If you use up all of your forces and supplies early in the campaign, you will have nothing left to stop your opponent from destroying your base. When it comes to vehicles you field, four light or medium vehicles as one unit, two heaves as one unit, and one assault tank as one unit. A battlemech or airspace fighter counts as one unit. You can field only so many units each battle, say four to twelve.

Don't worry, I will not be surprised in the least if you call this a newtypeism idea. I expect it to be to radical of an idea to be accepted.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Zandel_Corrin
01/07/09 12:43 AM

I have used this before... works well with mercs campaigns
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Kovax
01/07/09 04:12 PM

I went through a lot of effort to organize a campaign similar to this, only using House "settler" factions and a small cluster of planets. The players had a very limited build capacity, restricted repairs per turn, fixed availability of Jumpships/dropships (simplified into generic transport), and a small but gradually expandable tax base to work with, and had to try to occupy the various unexplored and neutral planets between them before engaging in the inevitable duel to the death. Forces were intended to be limited to a maximum of 12 friendly Mechs on any planet at a time to keep the tactical battles managable. You would commit to "ordering" a Light, Medium, Heavy, or Assault class Mech, and then roll on the appropriate random chart to see which actual design your factories churned out (politics and economics being what they are, you can't always get what you want). You then had to pay for it before your next order.

I used the MW 2nd ed handbook random Mech charts (based on random 2D6 rolls) to provide basic 3025 tech starting Mechs (4L, 8M, 8H, 4A), with each player choosing a faction to base his/her list from. I added the option to exchange any two adjacent entries on the list (one change per strategic turn), or replace the entries at either the 2 or 12 location with a captured or "recovered" design. A random roll would be made by each player on their own strategic turn for: pirate raids, finding lostech, or negotiating the availability of a new design from your House, which would allow new designs and advances in tech level by adding the new Mechs to the 2 or 12 slots of the random charts.

Sadly, the group I was gaming with broke up due to one of the players moving before the campaign got started.
Dester
01/09/09 03:24 PM

Naw, not a bad idea at all donkey, just more of a campain then a tourny. If each side has the same starting things, its well balanced and everything.

I would just stick to cannon units for this type of thing. I know you like very light cheap units to swarm and overwhelm your opponent, but there are very few of those in cannon existance. Alternantly, play with something that can equlaize the numbers game... like can only bring X amount of units to any one battlefield but must divide up your forces to attack/defend Y number of battlefields. Just some thoughts, or it will become a game insect swarm vs insect swarm.

Dester
Kovax
01/12/09 10:51 AM

We decided to limit any given battle to a max of 12 units per side. That's playable in a couple of hours; anything bigger gets out of hand and the whole campaign ends up being decided in one gigantic furball instead of a series of smaller struggles. Having random pirate raids means you have to garrison your current worlds with about 2-3 "decent" Mechs each, or a lance of lighter stuff, and the starting forces are just enough to cover the planets you start out with, with around a lance or two left over for offensive operations or a mobile reserve.

In the 3025 era at least, Medium Mechs were considered to be the "workhorses" of the House armies, with heavies slightly less common, followed by lights, and finally by the rare assault class Mechs. Periphery and poor border areas would typically have a higher proportion of light class Mechs, and the major production centers would lean toward a greater balance of heavies.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4829

Contact Admins Sarna.net