targeting computers

Pages: 1
Lefric
02/11/09 12:56 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
OK, another question.

I know that the size of a targeting computer is based on the size of the direct fire weapons that the mech mounting it carries.

but....

what about a targeting compuet salvaged from a damaged omni-mech? Can I pull the targeting comp. of a salvaged Puma and put into another (larger) omni-mech, adjusting the tonnage and size accordingly? Or is a targeting comp a "physical" thing that is custom built to a specific mech and weapons configuration?
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm." -George Orwell
Zandel_Corrin
02/11/09 05:35 PM

From the description of the Warhawk (Masakari) the main boards of the computer are the same cause they're hardwired in but parts have to be expanded.... i'm guessing that you only have to re-program it but a clan targ comp would only be effective with clan weaps cause it wouldn't have specs for IS weaps.....
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
Christopher_Perkins
02/11/09 09:48 PM

the targeting computer would not need to know the weapons...

The BattleMechs basic BattleComputer knows the Weapons, the Targeting Computer provides a targeting Assist...

Further, i believe that the Targeting Computer is more of a physical modification of the BattleMechs torso and Actuators too give it better aim-control and recoil compensation than an un-modified battlemech
Christopher Robin Perkins

It is my opinion that all statements should be questioned, digested, disected, tasted, and then either spit out or adopted... RHIP is not a god given shield
CYBRN4CR
04/01/10 04:19 AM

Quote:

Further, i believe that the Targeting Computer is more of a physical modification of the BattleMechs torso and Actuators too give it better aim-control and recoil compensation than an un-modified battlemech

*Knowingly adding to an older thread*

The targeting computer merely provides the aiming assist on top of the standard targeting and tracking system.

Think of MW3. The standard system allows you to locate, acquire, and track enemies, which is a big job all by itself. A targeting computer adds an additional trajectory circle on the HUD based on the tracking info from the standard system, but it doesn't make the actuators do anything more than what they would normally do when aiming.

Now there is a system that does the job that you described. It's called an Actuator Enhancement System (AES), and it's published in TacOps under experimental equipment.

Edited by CYBRN4CR (04/01/10 05:42 AM)
CrayModerator
04/01/10 08:26 AM

Quote:

The targeting computer merely provides the aiming assist on top of the standard targeting and tracking system.

TechManual does describe a targeting computer as including physical stabilization and recoil compensation features. That can include actuator modifications.

Quote:

Now there is a system that does the job that you described. It's called an Actuator Enhancement System (AES), and it's published in TacOps under experimental equipment.

The AES is a more broad-based actuator enhancement than targeting computers. It aids targeting, but also aids every other physical action in a modified limb.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CYBRN4CR
04/01/10 10:04 AM

Quote:

TechManual does describe a targeting computer as including physical stabilization and recoil compensation features. That can include actuator modifications.

First I've heard of it described like that (I don't have TechManual). Always thought it was just a superheavy motherboard with 1 ton RAM attachments for processing bigger or more guns.
CrayModerator
04/02/10 09:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

First I've heard of it described like that (I don't have TechManual). Always thought it was just a superheavy motherboard with 1 ton RAM attachments for processing bigger or more guns.

Well, the brass 4-bit Babbage Inc. core processor of the tactical computer IS a bit heavy (you have to admit, though, that a mechanical processor is laudably EMP-proof), but the only reason that a targeting computer's actual processor should grow is due to 1) the number of guns, and 2) the complexity of aiming those weapons. A single ER PPC should be easier to aim (in terms of calculations) than 4 medium lasers located all over a 'Mech. So, it stands to reason that growth due to weapon tonnage is because of some mechanical aiming aids.

And let's face it: you're only getting a -1 to-hit and some grouping options from all that tons of hardware. The normal cockpit computers (which read MechWarrior brains, run fusion engines and multi-ton gyros, and control a 'Mechs' limbs in addition to targeting) are an indeterminate fraction of 3 tons (which is also shared with life support, ejection seats, etc.). BT computers are bulky, but they ain't THAT bulky.

Hence Tech Manual's fluff-only comment (pg239):

"This is accomplished through a series of recoil compensators and gyroscopic stabilizers that combine to counter much of the routine weapon drift caused by the shooter’s own lurching motions, muzzle recoil and other environmental conditions. All of this is mated to core computing elements that help the pilot adjust more quickly for atmospheric conditions and such, providing a more accurate “lead” for almost every shot."

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CYBRN4CR
04/03/10 02:01 AM

Which makes me wonder how transferrable a targeting computer really is. If all that extra stabilizing equipment is what makes the TC so bulky, then that would mean a TC is something chassis specific and not transferrable to a different chassis if salvaged from the field. Yet, the record sheets make the TC look easily transferrable much like any other piece of equipment.
CrayModerator
04/03/10 12:01 PM

Quote:

Which makes me wonder how transferrable a targeting computer really is. If all that extra stabilizing equipment is what makes the TC so bulky, then that would mean a TC is something chassis specific and not transferrable to a different chassis if salvaged from the field. Yet, the record sheets make the TC look easily transferrable much like any other piece of equipment.

Technically, most autocannons have very different calibers. There are noted 120mm, 150mm, 185mm, and 203mm AC/20s. And, yet, the rules treat them as all the same when it comes to reloading AC/20s. Technically, you can take the 150mm ammo out of a Hetzer's AC/20 and reload a Demolisher's 185mm AC/20.

Different manufacturers of heat sinks use different coolants/refrigerants, different heat pumps (vapor-compression, magnetocaloric, sonic, adsorption, etc.), different tubing, etc., yet you can swap SHS for SHS and DHS for DHS in field repairs.

Those are two examples of where BT's fluff states that hardware for a single class of item differs enormously between specific models, but the rules don't care. Targeting computers are one more situation where the fluff and rules differ.

Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7929

Contact Admins Sarna.net