armor

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
06/27/09 09:59 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
What armors are tournament legal?

I know standard and Ferro-Fibrous. Is there anything else that is?

I don't see why Hardened armor is not. It gives you less protection per ton since all fractions are rounded up. You lose one movement point to your running speed and it costs you weight that you can't use for weapons. It not like its over powering. I see it as very well rounded unlike other things that are tournament legal.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
06/27/09 12:19 PM

The armors in Tech Manual are the legal one. If you'd like explanations why one armor but not another made it into Tech Manual as tournament-legal, ask on CBT.com's Ask the Writer forum.

The tournament legal armors are:
Commercial armor
Industrial armor
Protomech Armor
Standard (or Heavy Industrial) Armor
Ferro-Fibrous/Ferro-Aluminum
Light Ferro-Fibrous
Heavy Ferro-Fibrous
Stealth Armor
Support Vehicle Armors
DropShip/Small Craft Armors
Battle Armor armors

I'd guess that Hardened was excluded because it allows mechs to double the normal armor limit, but I don't recall any discussion about it during TM's drafting. You'd have to ask other writers, as suggested above.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
06/27/09 02:08 PM

What is Protomech Armor and Stealth Armor? I have never heard of them before .

I am assuming that " Standard (or Heavy Industrial) Armor" Is standard battlemech armor. Going from that I am guessing that Commercial armor and Industrial armor are low tech armors.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Lafeel
06/28/09 08:57 AM

Protomech armor is basically the armor you use on Protomech's, nothing fancier than that, as Proto's can't use special armor types.

As for the stealth armor, it is a fairly recent Capellan gizmo, basically it makes the mech all but invisible at 9 hexes away and further out. (heres the catch though: it generates quite a lot of heat when active)
CrayModerator
06/28/09 09:51 AM

Quote:

What is Protomech Armor and Stealth Armor? I have never heard of them before .

Protomech armor is the armor of protomechs, available only to protomechs.

Stealth armor was introduced to the game in 2000AD with Field Manual: Capellan Confederation. When the armor is turned on, it provides a +1 to-hit penalty against the stealthed mech at medium range, and +2 at long range. The 'Mech using it requires an ECM suite. When the armor is "off," the ECM suite functions normally. When the armor is "on," the stealthed 'mech suffers as if it is in a hostile ECM field (because it's suppressing its own emissions) and generates 10 extra heat every turn the armor is on because its heat sinks are muffled. Stealth armor grants the normal 16 points of protection per ton, but takes up some critical slots in each limb and has to mount the ECM suite (which, if damaged, nullifies the armor's benefits.)

Quote:

I am assuming that " Standard (or Heavy Industrial) Armor" Is standard battlemech armor. Going from that I am guessing that Commercial armor and Industrial armor are low tech armors.

They might have thoroughly modern materials, but are limited to civilian materials. Industrial, Commercial, and Heavy Industrial armors are used on WorkMechs. Heavy Industrial armor is equivalent to standard 'Mech armor.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
06/28/09 10:17 AM

OK.

What is a Protomech?

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Revanche
06/28/09 10:29 AM

Here's the BTW's article on it:
http://sarna.net/wiki/Protomech

Edited by Revanche (06/28/09 10:30 AM)
CrayModerator
06/28/09 02:05 PM

Quote:

What is a Protomech?

A protomech is a Clan unit introduced in 1998 with Technical Readout 3060. They're mini-mechs ranging from 2 to 9 tons and could be considered super-battle armor or ultra-light mechs. They're generally deployed in points of 5, which make them more vicious than individual light mechs. They have much more speed and staying power than battle armor.

Tripod
06/29/09 12:39 AM

Since the clans didn't use aerospace fighters much, they had batches of geneticly enhanced fighter pilots, bread to be small in stature/weight to help cope with high G forces. The proto mechs are more like mini mechs in the fact that the pilot is in a cockpit in the torso of the mech, not wearing the suit as in battle armor. I guess in a pinch an IS child could pilot a proto? But, there are probly horrible implants that cause grave side effects that go along with the training regiment...so...
TBA
CrayModerator
06/29/09 08:24 AM

Clan fighter pilots aren't child-sized. A small, slim adult would be able to fit into the cockpit, and I believe washed-out Clan MechWarriors have fit into protomech cockpits, so there's room for somewhat larger adults.

The required enhanced imaging implants are a drawback, though.

Tripod
06/30/09 12:21 AM

I am a but a poor freebirth, I do not know my enemy well...

Our group just never got into the clans that much, especially the newer stuff, even the newer IS stuff....we are stuck in a pre-3050 time warp...

I'm not sure where I got the idea that the clan aero jocks were tiny folk... but I specifficly remember reading they were used to pilot proto's because of their small stature... I duno, maybe I dreamed it all up... I'ts happened before....lol... the penalties of an overactive imagination....
TBA
LAMdriver
06/30/09 01:46 AM

Well Tripod is right. On some things.

Clan aerojocks were shorter than normal (about 4 to 6 inches than normal), and had a slightly larger head/skull.

This was do to the fact that when they were performing high G manuevers they were less prone to black- and red-out. Their legs and arms were smaller and more lithe to keep all the blood in their heads.

He was wrong on that Clans rarely use Aerospace forces.

Clan Snow Raven uses ALOT of aerospace and Naval Forces. Clan Jade Falcon, Clan Wolf (the new one and the one in exile), and Clan Hell's Horses use aeospace fighter to great effect also.

Yes, they were used to pilot Protomechs but had to get the EI implant, and use HEAVY duty drugs to stave off the side affects from the implant. But the it was too little to late for Smoke Jaguar.

Edited by LAMdriver (06/30/09 01:52 AM)
Tripod
06/30/09 02:49 AM

I hate to continue an off topic discussion....but I will...

So, can a full sized male, say, 5'9" 180lbs fit into a proto cockpit? I would venture to say an elemental could not. This being said going off the fact that I am under the impression that elemental "pilots" are superhumans, like, 7 to 10 feet tall.

I've been known to be quite off in many of my interpretations... set me straight please...
TBA
CrayModerator
06/30/09 08:36 AM

Quote:

So, can a full sized male, say, 5'9" 180lbs fit into a proto cockpit?

Yes, but it won't be fun.

Quote:

I would venture to say an elemental could not. This being said going off the fact that I am under the impression that elemental "pilots" are superhumans, like, 7 to 10 feet tall.

7-8ft is the norm, though I believe at least one Clan sourcebook has described a 10-foot elemental.

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7430

Contact Admins Sarna.net