GOL2-1N Goliath II

Pages: 1
Toastrider
10/26/02 02:46 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Overview:
The Goliath is a fairly well respected, if limited in some aspects, assault Mech. Its quadrupedal chassis makes for a surprisingly stable firing mount, and its PPC and LRM launchers can reach out at long range and make enemy pilots miserable.

Second Chance Laboratories is a Mech development think-tank and design group, based in the Crucis March. Their name comes from their tendency to take Mech designs that are perhaps mediocre or lacking in certain fields, and rebuild the Mech to more effective standards. Their first entry into this field is the redesigned and refitted Goliath II.

The Goliath II shares its predecessors quadruped design, as well as a penchant for massive firepower. Whereas the old design resembled a tank with four legs, the new Goliath II looks somewhat different, with two main-weapon bores mounted on semi-turrets on the frame. The cockpit sits roughly between the weapon barrels, and is heavily insulated, though fairly 'roomy' with enough space to easily fit a second seat behind the pilot's.

The Goliath II's punch comes primarily from its gauss rifle and ER-PPC combination, capable of shredding over a ton and a half of armor with a combined strike. Backing up these two heavy weapons are a trio of medium lasers and a head-mounted ER small laser. If the medium-laser mount seems oddly familiar, that's probably because it is -- the entire fitting is transplanted right off the classic TDR chassis, and in fact the Goliath II is designed to accept the older tri-laser mount seen on 3025-era Thunderbolts. To keep enemy missiles at bay, a Mainfire-3 Antimissile system was fitted into the center torso.

While not possessing an XL engine (not considered a priority), the GOL2-1N does use endo-steel structuring to help lighten the load. Its top speed of 64.8kph allows it to keep pace with most heavies and assaults, as well.

Variants:

The Goliath II seems to be well received by most quad pilots, especially those who used to pilot the original Goliath series. The most common modification is to remove the AMS, ammunition, and ER Small laser, and add another ton of gauss ammunition and replace the ER Small laser with a medium or ER medium laser.

GOL2-1N Goliath II
IS Level 2

Mass: 80 Tons

Internal Structure: Endo Steel (4.0)
Engine: 320 (22.5)
Walk MP: 4
Run MP: 6
Jump MP: 0
Heat Sinks: 12 [24]
Gyro: 4
Cockpit: 3
Armor Factor: 264 (16.5)

Loc/IS/OA

Head: 3/9
CT: 25/41
CTR: 9
R/LT: 17/27
R/LTR: 7
R/LFL: 17/34
R/LRL: 17/34

Gauss Rifle RT, Crt 7, Ht 1, Mass 15.0
ER-PPC LT, Crt 3, Ht 15, Mass 7.0
3x Medium Laser LT, Crt 3, Ht 3 each, Mass 3.0
ER Small Laser H, Crt 1, Ht 2, Mass 0.5
Anti Missile System CT, Crt 1, Ht 1, Mass 0.5
Gauss Ammunition (8) RT, Crt 1, Ht 0, Mass 1.0
AMS Ammunition (12) LT, Crt 1, Ht 0, Mass 1.0
2x Endo Steel LFL
2x Endo Steel RFL
2x Endo Steel LRL
2x Endo Steel RRL
3x Endo Steel LT
3x Endo Steel RT

BV 1694
Cost: 8,652,451

Notes:
I've got several redesigns of older Mechs, that I felt deserved a second chance -- ergo the name of the fictional company Nothing wrong with their design, but they needed a better pump up than just the old 3050-series upgrade kit Opinions?

--Toasty
"The survivors, not the victors, write the history books."
Nightward
10/27/02 08:10 PM

Wel, at the time (3050) the policy was to provide as many upgrade kits as possible to as many 'Mechs as possible, so not all 'Mechs were upgraded as heavily or to as high a standard as we are now used to seeing.

In any case, FanPro has begun "Project Phenix" and is resurrecting the old "Unseen" series. The site is : www.classicbattletech.com; just follw the "Project Phoenix" link. The Goliath was one of the 'Mechs they re-released this month. The FanPro version has, IIRC, a Heavy Guass Rifle and an ER PPC...or perhaps an LRM, I can't remember.

In any case, the Golaith was an incredibly rare beast; I'd expect any found nowdays to be new models built by the LAAF, who seem addicted to Guass-Cannon carrying quadrupeds, like the Barghest.

The LAAF seems to favour ECM Suites instead of Anti-Missile Systems to defeat enemy attacks. Since it is the same mass, but can be used to completely fill the Centre ztorso, it might be worthwhile to have a look at that.

Finally, and this is IMO, Quads need rear-mounted weapons. Since they can't torso-twist, you really need something facing backwards so you can at least swat at anybody who tries. Few will make it past that Gauss Cannon, but just in case...I'd be inclined to mount two of those ER Medium Lasers backwards.

Nice work.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Karagin
08/25/09 11:30 PM

With some of the new weapon systems out there the quads do get a few breaks...things like Inner Sphere version of the Clan A-PODs and such do help. The smaller cockpits and other changes of technology give them more room to do things.

The attempt here I feel has merit and gives something to the design that was lacking. Plus given the age of the mech, just about every possible design would have seen the light of day at one time or another.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Tripod
08/26/09 04:59 AM

I remember some torso and head turrets in "MaxTech" I think. Are those rules still arround?

It would be sort of like the 3050 Hatchetman actually having a hatchet vs the 3025 book version if/when the Goliath actually recieved a turret for it's main gun(s).

That spare 1.5 tons you speak of would allow what... 15 tons of turret'ed weapons?

Just a thought...
TBA
Karagin
08/26/09 09:29 AM

Yeah the Turret rules are still around....
Karagin

Prince_of_Darkness
08/26/09 10:46 AM

Since it is level 2 (Which should be Tournament legal, now) I think you should go for a Small Cockpit to get an extra ton of gauss rounds.
Karagin
08/26/09 01:44 PM

That is a good idea.
Karagin

Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 225 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5828

Contact Admins Sarna.net