LA-2 Light Attack Mech

Pages: 1
CrayModerator
12/03/01 12:51 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The as of yet unnamed LA-2 is a light mech intended to be a raider, covert ops unit, and scout hunter (in other words, a light attack, LA, mech). It also makes a credible scout, though the latest models of Hermes have superior sensors for this mission.

The LA-2 is the product of a FWL design contest that started with 5 competitors. Only one other, the LA-1, made it to combat testing. The LA-2 was selected for its slightly superior speed (deemed adequate to run down almost all Inner Sphere or Clan scout mechs) and its targeting computer. The LA-2's manufacturer, the little known Connaught Construction Corporation (C3), convinced the FWL procurement agency of its ability to deliver a steady supply of the Davion computer. The conferences where all the convincing was done were behind closed doors, and has left industry observors baffled.

The LA-2 is not built for slugging matches, but it does have satisfactory firepower from its quadruple ER medium lasers and outstanding accuracy from its targeting computer. It should quite well at blowing apart scout mechs, even Clan scout mechs. The LA-2 is likely to have heat problems if it uses its jump jets and lasers together in a sustain fashion, but it otherwise runs relatively cool.

LA-2 Light Attack Mech
30 tons
1.5 tons endosteel internal structure
7.25 tons 270 XL
Walking: 9
Running: 14
Jumping: 9
0 tons 10 DHS
3 tons gyroscope
3 tons cockpit
5.75 tons armor
Head: 3 9
CT: 10 10/5
RT/LT: 7 10/4
RA/LA: 5 7
RL/LL: 7 7
4 tons 4x ER Medium Lasers (RA/LA/RT/LT)
1 ton Targeting Computer (H)
4.5 tons jump jets (CT, 4 RT/LT)
Endosteel crits: 2 RL/LL, 4 RT/LT, RA/LA
Both Hand actuators present

VARIANTS
The committee, the diverse, varied and opinionated committee, overseeing the design competition liked a lot of things it saw (and disliked more, which is why 3 competitors never left the drawing board). The LA-2 is currently being produced in limited numbers of the above design, but two other prototypes exist. One incorporates the unborn LA-4's MASC at the expense of the targeting computer and torso laser. The other mounts two experimental X-pulse medium lasers in its torso instead of the 4 ER medium lasers. This latter prototype also has ferrofibrous armor.

The near-production LA-1 was a heavier competitor from Irian, maker of the Hermes. The LA-1 was 35 tons but only used a slightly larger engine than the LA-2, giving it a somewhat lower top speed (130kph). The LA-2 had heavier armor, 3 ER Medium lasers, and an ER large laser. The official reason for its cancellation was its somewhat lower top speed, which was considered a relatively common top speed among its prey (especially Clan mechs). Irian is claiming foul play, but dropped its lawsuit against the FWL government and C3 for unspecified reasons.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
CrayModerator
12/03/01 01:46 PM

That's almost the LA-1 mentioned in the variants section. I finally decided I wanted the mech to have the ability to catch the 9/14+ speedsters (without MASC) that have been cropping up after 3025 more than I wanted the extra armor. But it was close decision. I liked the heavier armor and weaponry allowed by an 8/12 35-ton mech a lot.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Korbel
12/03/01 02:53 PM

I think you made a great mech for its purpose... no changes needed... Field a lance of these to take out those scouts...

You may want to make an electronics warfare version to run with the rest of the lance... in order to scramble outgoing transmitions from the scout.....

Thats the only variant I'll request, it doesn't really need much more than 1 Med laser. but have it maxed out when it comes to EW capabilities... maybe even TAG gear. and once again... it should field with its counter parts that you have designed so well.
CrayModerator
12/04/01 07:28 AM

I fell 1-2 crits short. Irritating. After the Argus, I thought I had a mech with enough elbow room for ferro and endo.

Karagin
08/01/10 12:07 PM

So are we going to see this concept updated?
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Zandel_Corrin
08/01/10 07:46 PM

And our resident Thread Necromancer is at it again....

Not that i have a problem with that mind you just saying....

Keep up the good work Karagin!
Galaxy Commander
Zandel Corrin
Night Dragon Clan
CrayModerator
08/03/10 09:38 AM

Short of using Clan tech, no.

Karagin
08/03/10 10:54 AM

Okay. Just wondered given all the new goodies that have "become" available as of late.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
CrayModerator
08/05/10 11:23 AM

Quote:

Okay. Just wondered given all the new goodies that have "become" available as of late.

They don't really improve on this design, not without removing something. Stealth armor is tempting, but I'd need 1.5 tons for ECM. New weapons offer new ways to get the same firepower. So...nope. It works as is.

Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 259 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5403

Contact Admins Sarna.net