New player with some questions.

Pages: 1
Philopoemen
01/21/11 08:17 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I hope this kind of post isn't frowned upon.

I am a new battletech player and along with a friend of mine joined a group at our local gaming store. Right now we are playing 3025 with one stock 'Mech each just to learn the system. The GM runs an opposing force while we all work together (there are about 5 of us all said). I have only played one game but I think I am hooked.

So here is the questions part. How do you decide what to bring to a game where its one player vs another? And by that I mean is it tonnage, BV (BV1 or BV2) or 'Mech class?

I have heard that a lot of players get locked into certain time periods they like playing in, but my buddy and I want to play pretty much everything. So I got Heavy Metal Pro and the Total Warfare book. Are there any type of lists that are looked down on in general, or certain time periods that no one seems to want to play? Because I was looking though some of the history and would like to either get a Clan Wolf in Exile list or a Taurian Concordat list.

Thank you
CrayModerator
01/21/11 10:15 PM

Quote:

So here is the questions part. How do you decide what to bring to a game where its one player vs another? And by that I mean is it tonnage, BV (BV1 or BV2) or 'Mech class?

In pick-up games like that, my group tends to use tonnage because we mostly pre-date the BV system. In campaigns with roleplaying aspects, we use whatever the campaign calls for. For example, when attacking a planet, we'll check the reference books and see if it has an assigned defender unit. No matter what the players have, the defenders get that.

As an addendum, though, I do use BV2 when balancing Solaris VII arena battles.

Quote:

I have heard that a lot of players get locked into certain time periods they like playing in, but my buddy and I want to play pretty much everything. So I got Heavy Metal Pro and the Total Warfare book. Are there any type of lists that are looked down on in general, or certain time periods that no one seems to want to play? Because I was looking though some of the history and would like to either get a Clan Wolf in Exile list or a Taurian Concordat list.

The popular eras seem to be c3025, c3050, and c3070, for which there is a lot of support. There is little support currently for certain eras, like the Age of War (c2400-c2575) and Star League era (2575-2800). The First and Second Succession Wars have quite a bit of "fluff" behind them, but no lists of 'Mechs to select from. Those are not necessarily unpopular, just less supported. The game started in 3025 (when it was published around 1985) and has moved forward since then.

Faction lists for various eras can be found at the official download site:
http://www.classicbattletech.com/index.php?action=downloads#Charts and Tables
http://www.classicbattletech.com/downloads/ForceFactionTables_110906.pdf

The associated forums of CBT.com are suffering a bit of hacking right now, but the downloads still work.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
01/21/11 11:56 PM

Cray, your first link came up 404, but when I copied and pasted the whole thing to include "and Tables" it worked. Just a FYI.

As Cray said, using tonnage works easier for a pickup game and is faster. My group tends to ignore BV completely. We can get equal forces without using it and so we don't. You will find that certain mechs will get more usage then others, thus you will have these around when you pick your forces.

Folks play what they like, some like the older and possible more fun time frame of 3025 mech warfare then some of the newer stuff. Others like the flash and bells and whistles of the 3050 and beyond time frames. It sounds like you are really wanting to dive in more and that is a good thing. You may want to try a few battles as the Inner Sphere versus the Clan stuff and then switch sides and fight as the Clans. That way you can see how things work from both points of view.

Welcome and feel free to ask away with the questions both here and hope to see you at some of the other BT websites.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Philopoemen
01/22/11 12:53 AM

Thanks, I've been to /tg/ and despite that sites reputation their battletech group has been very helpful. My buddy and have both pre-ordered the new starter box, and I bought Heavy Metal pro. While we are waiting we both grabbed a few 'Mechs that we thought looked pretty and matched BV2 (we are ex-40k players and naturally went to points) I grabbed a mad dog and 2 vedettes, hes got a ryoken II and a cougar so we can just skirmish a bit.

As far as questions I am going to assume that fielding a lance or star of all one unit, or creating your own over powered 'Mech is looked down on.

Is there any specific etiquette I should know besides the usual tabletop niceties?

Since I'll be using Heavy Metal Pro should I have all the TRO's with me when I am fielding a list or just be able to say xyz unit is in guide q? (I was making up a roster and while most of the units are stock I want to use a Mad Dog H)

Ohh another question, if i am using a variant should I try to make it what you see is what you get or is the model out of the box fine?
CrayModerator
01/22/11 10:20 AM

Quote:

As far as questions I am going to assume that fielding a lance or star of all one unit

That's actually quite common among non-'Mech units, and it was the norm for 'Mechs (up to the battalion scale) in the Star League era. The mixed units of 'Mechs is an artifact of the scavenger culture of the late Succession Wars (2900-3025). By 3050, it should be quite possible to create uniform lances and companies if you like, but it remains unusual.

It's not "looked down on," but it's unusual for the current era.

Quote:

, or creating your own over powered 'Mech is looked down on.

That is harder to justify. Strategic Operations provides the limits of in-character 'Mech customization, and the RPG "A Time of War" addresses the possibility of owning a customized 'Mech. All-new designs for one small merc unit would be improbable *in character.*

But if you're playing a home game, sure, try out your custom designs. The whole book "Tech Manual" exists to build custom units; it's nothing but construction rules.

Quote:

Is there any specific etiquette I should know besides the usual tabletop niceties?

In BT, which isn't a WYSIWYG minis game, share record sheets on request. It keeps everyone on the level.

Quote:

Since I'll be using Heavy Metal Pro should I have all the TRO's with me when I am fielding a list or just be able to say xyz unit is in guide q? (I was making up a roster and while most of the units are stock I want to use a Mad Dog H)

You don't need to bring TROs to the game if you can inform the other players of the background and origins of your 'Mech and they all agree it fits your faction. Bring a laptop with HMPro so they can read the story, too, or print off the background. Or bring the TROs and show off the shiny books.

Quote:

Ohh another question, if i am using a variant should I try to make it what you see is what you get or is the model out of the box fine?

I use scraps of paper and bottle caps when I run short of the aged cardboard cutouts I got in BT boxed sets from the 1980s. So long as everyone knows which symbol represents which 'Mech and you're sharing record sheets, you'll be fine. Many people are proud of their minis in BT, but BT isn't a "miniatures-required" or "What you see is what you get" game.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Karagin
01/22/11 10:31 AM

You can make your own mechs, going to the munchkin side of things is frowned on, but it happens, heck several canon mechs fit the munchkin bill too some point. You can field what ever you want in your games. If you build your own mechs, then they are usable unless the game is a tournament and then again most folks aren't going to play tournaments every time they play so you need not worry about that. Just ask if it is okay to use a home made mech and then go from there.

Battletech unlike Warhammer is flexible, you can use anything you want to be a counter or miniature, the record sheet is the main focus and where you will be writing and recording things.

You don't need the TROs on hand, you print out the sheets, and go have fun. HMPro is normally correct and since it is the OFFICIAL software for Battletech to print out mechs, then that is all you will need.
Karagin

His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
01/22/11 12:07 PM

Philopoemen about,
Quote:

Quote:

As far as questions I am going to assume that fielding a lance or star of all one unit, or creating your own over powered 'Mech is looked down on.

"You can make your own mechs, going to the munchkin side of things is frowned on, but it happens, heck several canon mechs fit the munchkin bill too some point."

I have been accused of being a munchkin here lots of times. What I say about that, "That's your problem, not mine!" I look at the game more like real life generals and politicians than most other players. I want to get the most bang out of my C-Bill as I can. That's why I lean heavily on lasers and frown on ACs and missiles on my entire reinforced company of customized designed mechs.

Even my non cannon history has been accused of being munchkin since claim that I rule a solar system that is a Bandit Kingdom that is just out side of the border of the Federated Suns in the Periphery. I lean heavily on light vehicles for the defense of my world. I use the quantity side of the quantity versus quality strategy. I might lose a lot of troops but I can salvage a great amount of very expensive equipment when I crush my opponent by shear numbers.

The way I see being a munchkin is being on the line of cheating or going over the line if you think that you can get away with it than trying to get the most out of your mechs designs as you can. If you want to see a good example of such a person look for a guy named newtype here in the forums.

Don't worry about what others think overly to much. Yes if you go over board you will be hard up to find people to play with but also on the other side you don't want to be a door mat for other players either.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
01/22/11 02:03 PM

True you don't have to worry about what we say on any of the boards, but if you are going to use nothing but munch well as you said folks might not be that willing to play in a game against you because it is no longer fun for them, it's a two way street, you may not have to be the door mat, but you do have allow them to enjoy the game as much as you do.
Karagin

His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
01/22/11 03:22 PM

The most fun that I had was going head to head with a friend of mine. I design a mech and he does so also and then we fight. I normally lost not because of the designs but because he was a great deal better tactician than I was. Did that stop me from challenging him to a fight time after time, no, because like you said I may lose but I was having a lot of fun playing the game.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
fearfactory
01/22/11 05:41 PM

Well, if you're learning the game using nothing but energy weapons can make it boring. Using things like autocannons and missiles teach you the ropes like the importance of mobility, critical seeking, firing arcs, etc. Games with pure energy full armor designs tend to run a lot longer than they should which is why I don't prefer a lot min/maxing. I like to min/max with a bunch of inefficient choices... aka Succession Wars or 3050 tech.

I mean, come on, if the opfor had nothing but fast designs with medium laser spam supported by assaults with a boat load of heavy PPC's would you really stay interested? To me, that's boring because BattleTech is capable of so much more.

EDIT: To answer the initial question... when starting I recommend sticking with the boxed set designs. Only because they are well balanced against one another and will allow you all to develop preferences.
"The infection has been removed... the soul of this machine has improved!"

Edited by fearfactory (01/22/11 05:42 PM)
Philopoemen
01/27/11 09:38 PM

I have a pre order in for the new box set but I like the fluff for clan wolf in exile so in the meanwhile I am picking up some clan mechs from local game stores. So far i have a Mad Dog, a pouncer, a snow fox, a solitaire, and tow vedettes. I am reconciling the snow for and solitaire as wins in bids for possession. As for the vedettes, well wolf in exile arein IS space now and I figured their support vehicles are probaly acquired from there once the ones they brought were destroyed.

I am trying not to min max and I am really excited for the new Intro box, but until then I am just throwing stuff at the wall (my buddy who had 70 dollars to spend and bought about 4 times the mechs I did) and seeing what sitcks.
CrayModerator
01/28/11 08:04 AM

Quote:

I am trying not to min max and I am really excited for the new Intro box, but until then I am just throwing stuff at the wall (my buddy who had 70 dollars to spend and bought about 4 times the mechs I did) and seeing what sitcks.

That's a good way to start. Start with the boxed set, play around with varied units, and see what happens. When you get some experience you'll have a better idea of what you want for the future.

Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 138 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7707

Contact Admins Sarna.net