LRM-1

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/03/11 09:25 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm board so I will post something I thought about wail driving.

LRM-1
Missiles fired per round (1)
Heat (1)
Damage (1)
Range
Min 6
Short 1-7
Medium 8-14
Long 15-21
Tons .5
Ammo special (12)

The ammo is internal and no additional magazines can be added.

A critical hit to the weapon is treated as an ammunition hit. All remaining ammo explodes doing standard damage. If there was no ammo left the weapon is destroyed as standard rules.

Since there is only one missile fired there is no roll to see how many missiles hit.

Now let the roast begin.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
05/04/11 08:26 AM

That, sir, is an interesting weapon. Its more versatile and flexible than a rocket launcher-10, what with the ammo choices and indirect fire, and its not nearly as lame as the one-shot LRMs. That's quite a handy utility weapon.

Can you give it different ammo types? If so, do they feed in the order they're loaded or are they all available at on demand?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
05/04/11 09:23 PM

Quote:

Can you give it different ammo types?

I see no reason why not.

Quote:

If so, do they feed in the order they're loaded or are they all available at on demand?

Since all other LRMs ammo have to be in full tons lots and cant mix, I would say no. What ever you load into it has to be all the same.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
05/11/11 12:15 PM

I have not come up with a battle value or a cost as of yet. Anyone what to offer suggestions?

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Brian_Paxt
09/29/11 03:24 PM

This weapon is pointless, you are taking up tonnage that could be given to something that has more of a punch that a single missile. On top of that you have the ammo which will take up even more room. At most it would be like mounting a machine gun, but even that does more damage.
09/30/11 07:54 AM

The LRM-1 takes up half the weight as a MG (MG .5 tons + MG ammo .5 tons)

The LRM-1 has the range of up to 21. A MG has the range of 3.

Its meant for ultra light vehicles that just don't have the weight for something bigger.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
10/01/11 12:50 AM

Quote:

Its meant for ultra light vehicles that just don't have the weight for something bigger.

Hey, I like it. Some folks will, some won't. I can see the utility - not everyone fights regiments of assault 'Mechs.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
10/02/11 05:44 PM

Is there some other way that I can explain how useful it is it its limited niche so people will understand, or did I do a good job in doing so?

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
10/03/11 11:25 AM

Quote:

Is there some other way that I can explain how useful it is it its limited niche so people will understand, or did I do a good job in doing so?

I think there might be some room for improvement in the stats to help sell the LRM-1.

For example, a direct extrapolation from an LRM-10 or LRM-20 suggests this launcher would be 0.5 tons, leaving 0.5 tons for ammo. At 120 missiles per ton of LRM ammo, that's 60 missiles versus the 12 listed. A single-tube launcher with dozens of rounds is useful in a micro-launcher sort of way, even if it cannot draw on external ammo bins. Stuck with a single ammo type, the LRM-1 is a great replacement for the basic AC/2.

On the other hand, one of the great strengths of LRMs is their flexibility: mines, flares, fragmentation, basic missiles, semi-guided missiles, etc. Without that, you've got an ultra-light AC/2 with slightly lower range and a vulnerability to AMSs. Not bad, but imagine this:

The LRM-1 is stuck being unable to use external ammo bins and only has 12-24 rounds of ammo BUT that ammo is on an endless belt-loop of ammo and can quickly cycle the belt to any LRM in the belt, like a smart revolver. Want a flare one turn? Got it. Want to fire some frag rounds into infantry caught in the open? Got it. Want to drop a light minefield over a few turns? Can do. Players who use this feature do, of course, have to designate the ammo carried before battle and keep track of it.

And if not, maybe you can tweak your opening post to show that the LRM-1 is a valid replacement for an AC/2 - with indirect fire. (Nice touch.)

10/03/11 06:33 PM

I wanted the weapon to be as light as possible. A lot of the equipment that all of the other LRMs require are missing from the LRM-1. One example would be, feed tubes that go from ammo bins that also direct the ammo into more than one missile launch tube.

How I came up with the weight was to take the LRM-5 and divide that by 5 to get 4/10. Then I took that 1/10 that was left to the 120 missiles to a ton and got 12.

To justify the light weight I restricted what else could be added to the launcher like extra ammo bins and not allowing to mix types of missiles that can be in the launcher. If I made the system one ton with a .5 ton launcher and a .5 ton ammo bin it would have defeated what I wanted, a ultra light weapon system. Also one LRM-1 missile launcher that only has 12 shots is not that much of a threat to anyone of any real size. I also have it generate one heat point instead of the zero that I would have given it just to make it more acceptable to others that would complain of its light weight.

I am thinking of creating a MRM variant that also fires one missile. I don't like the high cost of LRM ammo. I do like the cost of the MRM ammo.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
CrayModerator
10/04/11 07:14 AM

Oh, duh. I thought it was 1 ton. Okay, 12 shots makes sense now.

10/07/11 08:57 AM

What got me thinking of the LRM-1 was the locust and its weak armament. I tried to think of what could be done with the weight that it has available. That's where I started to think of the LRM-1.

Locust armament
LRM-1 left arm
2 ML center torso
LRM-1 right arm

Its not much but at least with this variant the locust can shoot something that has more range than a medium laser and it does not lose what little armor that it does have to do it.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Raverrn
10/19/11 05:10 PM

This'd be pretty fabulous as a long-range critseeker. Slap five or six on a Medium with a Gauss and call it a day.
10/20/11 10:09 PM

Quote:

This'd be pretty fabulous as a long-range critseeker. Slap five or six on a Medium with a Gauss and call it a day.

Maybe I should add a rule like the launchers create some kind of tracking interference to the tracking system to other launchers when they are used in clusters. In that way it will prevent people from doing what you suggested.

Now maybe that would not be needed since 5 LRM-1s would use 5 crits where a LRM-5 with its ammo would only take 2 crits and have twice the amount of ammo.

The idea was not to replace bigger LRM systems with the LRM-1 but to give vehicles that cant have a LRM do to weight a chance to have a long range weapon.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Protege
03/05/12 11:45 PM

I like it.
Makes Jeeps, Packrats, etc a tad more dangerous:
A machine gun Jeep with a single launcher becomes a real pain when encountered en masse.
Power Armour becomes long range support from many directions at once.
Covert Ops Power armor can used semi-guided/NARC ammo in combination with a TAGger/NARCer commando and provide long range sabotage right before an assault, or even sniper attacks against soft targets.
I've stopped being nice? When the hell did I ever START being nice?
Mattiator
03/04/14 10:30 PM

This is a great idea! Light ranged weapons are a rarity, this seems very interesting.
Retry
03/04/14 10:32 PM

Since it doesn't roll on the cluster table being a LRM 1 and firing only 1 LRM, this would be even munchier than the LRM5 had it not been for 12 rounds of ammo per ton for some reason.
03/04/14 11:20 PM

It carry 12 shots internally. There is no ammo bins they are not allowed. The weapon and its ammo weigh half a ton and take one crit space.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Retry
03/04/14 11:28 PM

Oh.
ghostrider
03/04/14 11:39 PM

I could see something like this as the only weapon on a jeep.
They use of multiples on a mech or larger vehicle would be too much.

I do like it because I hate the stupid crap of the missiles hitting tables. I've had way to many times of firing a 20 pack and only hitting with 9 or less.

And with your locust example, you should pick up a ton of weight. Half ton per launcher, while the mg weight that much itself. Then you have the ton of mg ammo.

Yes, you would need to do something to keep people from abusing it. I would say that the ammo would have to be loaded by hand, so they can not be changed while in combat. You might allow them to reload in the field by hand taking 15 minutes or so to get is set up.
This is definately something that can be worked in..

Now would you go with a shoulder mounted lrm launcher like the srm version that is currently available?
03/05/14 01:24 AM

I dont see people having 20 LRM-1 instead of a LRM-20. The more you get the less affective they are verses other bigger launchers.

There is already a shoulder fired LRM in the game.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
ghostrider
03/05/14 01:27 AM

I guess my older books are showing my idiocy in the game.

Ok. I finally seen the heat for it. Not a problem for a tank.

Makes me feel bad when they start using something like this on a savanaha master. Out of ammo quickly, but get in and out.
LegatusDavoke
04/24/14 07:56 PM

It's something I'd definitely use on a light mech or light tank/APC that needs one or two for some sort of long range damage potential. Niche weapons are awesome
There'll be the devil to pay mate. Better make it good, eh?
ghostrider
06/29/15 06:54 PM

one of the threads. Sorry I said designs...
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 17074

Contact Admins Sarna.net