Quick Questions about Star Colonel/Captain

Pages: 1
MechTheDane
02/16/13 05:08 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I was just curious if a Star Captain and Star Colonel are also Star Captains? Or are they additional units that run with one of their Stars?

So lets say you had two Binaries up and running.

Do you have 20 Pilots total?

I Binary:
Alpha Star
Star Colonel (Acting as Star Captain and Commander!)
4 - Points

Beta Star
Star Commander
4 - Points

II Binary:
Alpha Star
Star Captain (also acting as Star Commander)
4 - Points

Beta Star:
Star Commander
4 - Points

OR

Would there be 23 Pilots? The 5 from Each Star + the Star Captain for each Binary and the Star Colonel?
CrayModerator
02/16/13 09:52 PM

Quote:

I was just curious if a Star Captain and Star Colonel are also Star Captains? Or are they additional units that run with one of their Stars?

So lets say you had two Binaries up and running.

Do you have 20 Pilots total?

I Binary:
Alpha Star
Star Colonel (Acting as Star Captain and Commander!)
4 - Points

A Star Colonel can also command smaller forces. As in your example, they can command their own star as well as the larger forces.

This doesn't mean they also hold the ranks of Star Captain and Star Commander, just that they give orders to smaller forces than a Star Colonel would normally directly command.

Quote:

Would there be 23 Pilots?

In the typical Clan organization for 4 stars of all 'Mechs, there'd be 20 pilots.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
MechTheDane
02/16/13 09:57 PM

Alright thanks!

So my Cluster of two Binaries would only have 20 pilots, with my Star Colonel and Star Captains fulfilling duel roles?

Edited by MechTheDane (02/16/13 10:04 PM)
CrayModerator
02/17/13 10:41 AM

Quote:

So my Cluster of two Binaries would only have 20 pilots, with my Star Colonel and Star Captains fulfilling duel roles?

Correct.

Note that Inner Sphere and Periphery forces may arrange things differently. Some Inner Sphere battalions will add a 10th command lance, where the battalion commander doubles as lance and battalion commander but not a company commander. Some won't.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Col_Green
02/17/13 07:44 PM

I.S also see's some forces as Re-enforced..depening on the rule set you are playing...or you could run the old Comstar formations :P then things get really fun
csadn
03/01/13 04:31 AM

Quote:

Yup. Here's a Visual Aid for it:

Cluster Command [St. Col.]
-- Mech
-- Mech
-- Mech
-- Mech
- Star Command [St. Cmdr.]
-- Mech
-- Mech
-- Mech
-- Mech
- Binary Commander [St. Capt.]
-- Mech
-- Mech
-- Mech
-- Mech
- Star Commander [St. Cmdr.]
-- Mech
-- Mech
-- Mech
-- Mech

Now, what's not discussed is the command-control problems inherent in the system -- specifically: The St. Col. has to ride herd on at least five 'Mechs himself, as well as passing orders to the other three Star leaders. Ideally, one of the "Mech" positions would be filled by a NCO-equivalent, to give the officer the ability to command the unit as a whole.
CF

Oregon: The "Outworlds Alliance" of the United States of America
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4903

Contact Admins Sarna.net