Doombringer II

Pages: 1
ATN082268
06/25/13 12:52 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Added Standard Engine, Hardened Armor and some LRMs.

BattleTech Vehicle Technical Readout
* CUSTOM WEAPONS

Type/Model: Doombringer II
Tech: Clan / 3067
Config: Tracked Vehicle
Rules: Level 3, Custom design

Mass: 200 tons
Power Plant: 200 Fusion
Cruise Speed: 10.8 km/h
Maximum Speed: 21.6 km/h
Armor Type: Hardened

Armament:
3 Rotary AC/20 (UK)s
2 LRM 20s
2 ER Medium Lasers
2 Grenade Launchers
2 Anti-Missile Systems
2 Anti-Personnel Pods
2 Anti-Battle Armor Pods*
1 Angel ECM Suite

Manufacturer: (Unknown)
Communications System: (Unknown)
Targeting & Tracking System: (Unknown)

--------------------------------------------------------
Type/Model: Doombringer II
Mass: 200 tons
Construction Options: Fractional Accounting

Equipment: Items Mass
Int. Struct.: 100 pts Standard 0 40.00
Engine: 200 Fusion 0 8.50
Shielding & Transmission Equipment: 0 4.25
Cruise MP: 1
Flank MP: 2
Heat Sinks: 10 Single 0 .00
Cockpit & Controls: 0 10.00
Crew: 14 Members 0 .00
Turret Equipment: 0 5.80
Sponson Turret Equipment: 0 .70
Armor Factor: 320 pts Hardened 1 40.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Front: 20 60
Front L / R Sides: 20 50/50
Rear L / R Sides: 20 40/40
Rear: 20 40
Turret: 20 40

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Ammo Items Mass
1 Rotary AC/20 (UK) Turret 0 30 2 22.00
1 Rotary AC/20 (UK) Turret 0 30 1 22.00
1 Rotary AC/20 (UK) Turret 0 30 1 22.00
2 LRM 20s Turret 0 30 3 15.00
1 ER Medium Laser Lf_Spon 5 1 1.00
1 Grenade Launcher Lf_Spon 0 1 .50
1 Anti-Missile System Lf_Spon 0 15 2 1.13
1 Anti-Personnel Pod Lf_Spon 0 1 .50
1 B-Pod* Lf_Spon 0 1 1.00
1 ER Medium Laser Rt_Spon 5 1 1.00
1 Grenade Launcher Rt_Spon 0 1 .50
1 Anti-Missile System Rt_Spon 0 15 1 1.13
1 Anti-Personnel Pod Rt_Spon 0 1 .50
1 B-Pod* Rt_Spon 0 1 1.00
1 Angel ECM Suite Body 0 1 1.50
1 C.A.S.E. Equipment Body 0 .00
TOTALS: 10 20 200.00
Items & Tons Left: 25 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 32,823,878 C-Bills
Battle Value: 4,362
Cost per BV: 7,524.96
Weapon Value: 7,712 / 7,712 (Ratio = 1.77 / 1.77)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 235; MRDmg = 108; LRDmg = 11
BattleForce2: MP: 1, Armor/Structure: 0 / 29
Damage PB/M/L: 15/13/2, Overheat: 0
Class: GA; Point Value: 44
Specials: if, ecm

Edited by ATN082268 (06/25/13 12:03 PM)
Rotwang
06/25/13 05:25 AM

A big juicy target that even an LRM carrier can dodge ...

It's a barely mobile strong-point. 101 of military tactics says to bypass strongpoints and to reduce them at leisure once you have achieved superiority with your mobile assets. CF the forts of the Maginot line in 1940 or the Hindenburg line in 1918. Sooner or later a mobility hit will be scored. Just let the crew starve to death.

You treat it like a tiger tank, isolate it and let it rage on a small acreage then reduce it with arty and air assets.
Karagin
06/25/13 06:03 AM

Got to agree with Rotwang, this thing is not an improvement over the others you have posted. Smaller vehicles will eat it alive and if you run into VTOLs or hovers your 200 ton crawling pillbox is dead meat in under four turns, that is allowing for this thing actually getting a chance to hit anything at all. Arty will kill it fast as will aero assets.

I suggest you work on your smaller vehicles and see that the 200 ton tanks are an oddity that are not really worth the hassles even in this game.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Rotwang
06/25/13 10:13 AM

For 30-odd million I can buy 50 LRM carriers, that's 150 LRM20 launchers. Say less than a quarter of them hit the target, and the A-M systems completely cancel out at least two launchers, I still hit with 30 LRM's, meaning that one in five hits the target, even with a very low average of around 5 missiles per hit, I can do around 150 damage in a single turn, guess how many potential crits, but let's ignore them and assume you save every one of them. Even if you get 100% accuracy every turn with the LRM's and do 100% damage and let's assume you get a complete kill with each LRM, I still have 144 LRM20. Next turn another 140-odd damage rains down.

Say you knock out 8 carriers in the four turns it takes your tank to cross the mapsheet, my LRM carriers have been nailed to the floor and they are now are in range of the dreaded AC's. Even with very low estimates I would have rained down almost 500 points of damage (150 first turn, 120 second turn, 100 third turn and 80 last turn). Say you completely wipe out 12 carriers each turn with insta-kills. I still have half of mine, that's another 100-odd damage in the last few rounds (again a very low estimate) until every last carrier has been curb stomped.

Say I really blow my dice and I only do 500 points of damage in the entire battle, I pretty much ablated most of the front armour of the Doombunny SUX-2000. That's if I don't move my tanks, roll unusually low scores, fail every single crit and give you perfect 12 on every roll.

So, if we play on a single perfectly featureless mapsheet and I give you every favour in the book, let you cheat and I consistently roll way below average, your Gloomflop 666 STILL takes a beating ...
Karagin
06/25/13 01:03 PM

Thing is he doesn't see that or doesn't under stand what you are pointing out to him. Using what he has said as a bases, and this is my opinion least I don't want him to think I am attacking him, is that his tank is perfect since it has a lot of armor, the AMS and can return fire and wipe out targets with one or two hits. And no matter how much we tell him other wise he still doesn't get it.
Karagin

ATN082268
06/25/13 07:43 PM

Quote:

A big juicy target that even an LRM carrier can dodge ...

It's a barely mobile strong-point. 101 of military tactics says to bypass strongpoints and to reduce them at leisure once you have achieved superiority with your mobile assets. CF the forts of the Maginot line in 1940 or the Hindenburg line in 1918. Sooner or later a mobility hit will be scored. Just let the crew starve to death.

You treat it like a tiger tank, isolate it and let it rage on a small acreage then reduce it with arty and air assets.

Depending upon several factors like where the Doombringer is located, where your objective is located, where other enemy forces are located, etc. etc. you may or may not be able to bypass this unit. Stuff like Artillery and Aerospace strikes can work on any other unit as well (assuming you have them available) and an opponent certainly doesn't have to use all Doombringers, for example...
ATN082268
06/25/13 07:53 PM

Quote:

For 30-odd million I can buy 50 LRM carriers, that's 150 LRM20 launchers. Say less than a quarter of them hit the target, and the A-M systems completely cancel out at least two launchers, I still hit with 30 LRM's, meaning that one in five hits the target, even with a very low average of around 5 missiles per hit, I can do around 150 damage in a single turn, guess how many potential crits, but let's ignore them and assume you save every one of them. Even if you get 100% accuracy every turn with the LRM's and do 100% damage and let's assume you get a complete kill with each LRM, I still have 144 LRM20. Next turn another 140-odd damage rains down.

Say you knock out 8 carriers in the four turns it takes your tank to cross the mapsheet, my LRM carriers have been nailed to the floor and they are now are in range of the dreaded AC's. Even with very low estimates I would have rained down almost 500 points of damage (150 first turn, 120 second turn, 100 third turn and 80 last turn). Say you completely wipe out 12 carriers each turn with insta-kills. I still have half of mine, that's another 100-odd damage in the last few rounds (again a very low estimate) until every last carrier has been curb stomped.

Say I really blow my dice and I only do 500 points of damage in the entire battle, I pretty much ablated most of the front armour of the Doombunny SUX-2000. That's if I don't move my tanks, roll unusually low scores, fail every single crit and give you perfect 12 on every roll.

So, if we play on a single perfectly featureless mapsheet and I give you every favour in the book, let you cheat and I consistently roll way below average, your Gloomflop 666 STILL takes a beating ...

Saying you can buy X units for Y units is a pointless exercise as the Battletech Universe certainly doesn't have just units with the lowest possible price. And how exactly were you proposing on training all those crews, transporting all those vehicles, etc. etc.? And last but certainly not least, how often do you get to tailor your forces and battlefield exactly the way you want against an opponent? I suggest you go back to the tactical drawing board...
ATN082268
06/25/13 07:57 PM

Quote:

Got to agree with Rotwang, this thing is not an improvement over the others you have posted. Smaller vehicles will eat it alive and if you run into VTOLs or hovers your 200 ton crawling pillbox is dead meat in under four turns, that is allowing for this thing actually getting a chance to hit anything at all. Arty will kill it fast as will aero assets.

I suggest you work on your smaller vehicles and see that the 200 ton tanks are an oddity that are not really worth the hassles even in this game.

I think it is an improvement over the first Doombringer as the second one has a Standard Engine which makes it cheaper, Hardened Armor to reduce the likelihood of a critical hit and LRMs for some long range reach. Vague or contrived tactical assessments aren't very convincing. You do realize that an opponent doesn't have to have all of the same unit, right?
Maurer
06/25/13 09:01 PM

Quote:

I think it is an improvement over the first Doombringer as the second one has a Standard Engine which makes it cheaper, Hardened Armor to reduce the likelihood of a critical hit and LRMs for some long range reach. Vague or contrived tactical assessments aren't very convincing. You do realize that an opponent doesn't have to have all of the same unit, right?

I would hardly say it is am improvement. Looking at the speed alone, I would just declare myself the winner and walk away from the table even if I field a single MG jeep and platoon of infantry. This thing is so slow, it has to basically run/flank to get up 1 elevation or move across the map. That alone is +2 to hit, unless by god you also crewed your wunderwaffe tank with super soldiers. Or or I could just call in a few artillery strikes, they will eventually hit it, as it can't freaking maneuver to avoid being hit (carpet bomb the general area). With a movement ability of literally turn 2 hex faces/move 2 hexes/move 1 hex and turn 1 hex face or turn 1 hex face and move 1 hex, this things movement pattern is extremely easy to predict.
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier

Edited by Maurer (06/25/13 09:06 PM)
Karagin
06/25/13 09:55 PM

Vague? How is anything vague or contrived? We are telling you how things will go down for your tank in the board game, YOU seem to think or feel or what ever that your 200 ton tank will prevail no matter what. The one who is vague is you.

Your LRMs aren't going to change the fact that you will be attacked from different directions and will have to deal with a mix of forces that will exploit your weakness which is your lack of speed and the fact that you aren't always going to be able to fire everything.

Again I ask have you actually used these things in a real BT game on map boards against another player?
Karagin

Karagin
06/25/13 10:20 PM

Can the Clans even use Harden Armor?
Karagin

Karagin
06/25/13 10:24 PM

Code:
UK Weapons

Type/Model: Better Mouse Trap
Tech: Clan / 3060
Config: Tracked Vehicle
Rules: Level 3, Standard design

Mass: 90 tons
Power Plant: 270 XL Fusion
Cruise Speed: 32.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 54.0 km/h
Armor Type: Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
2 Rotary AC/20 (UK)s
1 LRM 15
2 ER Medium Lasers
2 Anti-Missile Systems
2 Grenade Launchers
2 Anti-Personnel Pods
1 Angel ECM Suite

Type/Model: Better Mouse Trap
Mass: 90 tons

Int. Struct.: 45 pts Standard 0 9.00
Engine: 270 XL Fusion 1 7.50
Shielding & Transmission Equipment: 0 4.00
Cruise MP: 3
Flank MP: 5
Heat Sinks: 10 Single 0 .00
Cockpit & Controls: 0 4.50
Crew: 6 Members 0 .00
Turret Equipment: 0 3.50
Armor Factor: 240 pts Ferro-Fibrous 1 12.50

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Front: 9 72
Left / Right Sides: 9 48/48
Rear: 9 32
Turret: 9 40

2 Rotary AC/20 (UK)s Turret 0 20 3 36.00
1 LRM 15 Front 0 16 2 5.50
2 ER Medium Lasers Front 10 2 2.00
2 Anti-Missile Systems Turret 0 24 3 2.00
2 Grenade Launchers Turret 0 2 1.00
1 Anti-Personnel Pod Right 0 1 .50
1 Anti-Personnel Pod Left 0 1 .50
1 Angel ECM Suite Body 0 1 1.50
1 C.A.S.E. Equipment Body 0 .00
TOTALS: 10 17 90.00
Items & Tons Left: 6 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 19,605,150 C-Bills
Battle Value 2: 3,539 (old BV = 3,002)
Cost per BV: 5,539.74
Weapon Value: 4,024 / 4,024 (Ratio = 1.14 / 1.14)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 154; MRDmg = 69; LRDmg = 5
BattleForce2: MP: 3T, Armor/Structure: 0 / 10
Damage PB/M/L: 16/14/1, Overheat: 0
Class: GA; Point Value: 35
Specials: if, ecm

Lets see all BUT one of the UK RAC, and a smaller LRM but wait I fit every thing else on to a 90 frame for 20 million LESS then your 200 ton tank and the 90 tonner is FASTER. I don't think the Clans can use Harden armor unless the rules have fully changed and you did not list your monster as a mixed tech vehicle...
Karagin

Rotwang
06/26/13 09:55 AM

Quote:

Saying you can buy X units for Y units is a pointless exercise as the Battletech Universe certainly doesn't have just units with the lowest possible price. And how exactly were you proposing on training all those crews, transporting all those vehicles, etc. etc.? And last but certainly not least, how often do you get to tailor your forces and battlefield exactly the way you want against an opponent? I suggest you go back to the tactical drawing board...

Allow me to retort that it isn't exclusively filled with only the most expensive units either. I propose that the units are acquired and trained the same way they have been for most of history. As you said LRM carriers are fairly cheap and I'm sure the average BT planet with several million people can afford to train a few hundred people to operate them. They are not the best option, but then again look up the word "Tankette" and look how many countries thought they would win the next war with shoddy, low budget, tin-plated machinegun carriers.

All I did was pick a fairly wee BT design rather than the many more capable fully legal ones from the TRs. I nailed my force to the floor, I did not allow my units to move, I allowed your tank to get in close on flat terrain on a map that was smaller than a standard BT mapsheet. All I did was shoot back, making abysmally low rolls and you accuse ME of taking advantage ????

If I were really "dishonest" I'd pick some Arrow IV carriers and set them up six MAPSHEETS away, or pick designs like the Saladin or the Savannah Master, fast Clan mechs with Large Pulse lasers, thunder LRM's and other long range weapons that outrange the LRMs, swarm you with infantry in a city, put a river between you and me. I could have a large planetary campaign and have a whole armoured regiment manoeuvre over your tank if you don't move it out of the way quickly enough.

You forget one fundamental rule, that's that every unit in BT gets worse every time you use it. It loses ammo, the armour diminishes and the longer this goes on the worse it gets. Even if you play tailor made cage deathmatches with zero regard to any continuity or greater scope and rigidly stick to BV, cost and other purely arbitrary conventions you could abuse to rule lawyer yourself into the greatest possible advantage, the Flufffunny 007 will go down once in a while if your opponent is skilled enough or through sheer dumb luck kill it. Battle value and cost only work if both players mutually agree they are a good way to work out a fair or interesting battle, it's not your personal warhammer to knock people over the head with and show off your superiority.

Son, let me give you some advice, life is hard, if you want some release from the drudge of your daily reality and create preprogrammed power fantasies where you are an invincible GOD OF WAR and crush everything that stands in your way, that's fine, we've all been guilty of this at some point or another, it can be very therapeutic, but for Hanse Davion's sake, please keep it to yourself before you really embarrass yourself in public.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
06/26/13 02:33 PM

A single trooper with an inferno SRM launcher can destroy this thing. Not that I agree with the inferno verse vehicle rules.

One trooper can destroy a tank that costs as much as an advanced tech assault battlemech
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Maurer
06/26/13 03:15 PM

Quote:

Lets see all BUT one of the UK RAC, and a smaller LRM but wait I fit every thing else on to a 90 frame for 20 million LESS then your 200 ton tank and the 90 tonner is FASTER.

My turn, my turn!

Code:
VALIDATED

Type/Model: Bosozoku Hoverbike
Tech: Inner Sphere / 3060
Config: Hovercraft
Rules: Level 1, Standard design

Mass: 5 tons
Power Plant: 25 I.C.E.
Cruise Speed: 140.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 216.0 km/h
Armor Type: Standard
Armament:
1 SRM 2 (OS)

Type/Model: Untitled

Int. Struct.: 4 pts Standard 0 .50
Engine: 25 I.C.E. 0 1.00
Cruise MP: 13
Flank MP: 20
Heat Sinks: 0 Single 0 .00
Cockpit & Controls: 0 .50
Crew: 1 Members 0 .00
Lift Equipment: 0 .50
Armor Factor: 16 pts Standard 0 1.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Front: 1 5
Left / Right Sides: 1 4/4
Rear: 1 3

1 SRM 2 (OS) Front 0 1 1.50
TOTALS: 0 1 5.00
Items & Tons Left: 5 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 40,792 C-Bills
Battle Value: 27
Cost per BV: 1,510.8
Weapon Value: 2 / 2 (Ratio = .07 / .07)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 3; MRDmg = 0; LRDmg = 0
BattleForce2: MP: 13H, Armor/Structure: 0 / 1
Damage PB/M/L: -/-/-, Overheat: 0
Class: GL; Point Value: 0

I can field almost 8 regiments (I think) of these cheap, loud hoverbikes for the cost of one of ANT's tanks.

Edited by Maurer (06/26/13 03:21 PM)
06/26/13 03:48 PM

I still beat your bid with my one trooper with a SRM launcher loaded with infernos

Quote:

Quote:

Lets see all BUT one of the UK RAC, and a smaller LRM but wait I fit every thing else on to a 90 frame for 20 million LESS then your 200 ton tank and the 90 tonner is FASTER.

My turn, my turn!

Code:
VALIDATED

Type/Model: Bosozoku Hoverbike
Tech: Inner Sphere / 3060
Config: Hovercraft
Rules: Level 1, Standard design

Power Plant: 25 I.C.E.
Cruise Speed: 140.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 216.0 km/h
Armor Type: Standard
Armament:
1 SRM 2 (OS)

Type/Model: Untitled

Int. Struct.: 4 pts Standard 0 .50
Engine: 25 I.C.E. 0 1.00
Cruise MP: 13
Flank MP: 20
Cockpit & Controls: 0 .50
Lift Equipment: 0 .50
Armor Factor: 16 pts Standard 0 1.00

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Front: 1 5
Left / Right Sides: 1 4/4
Rear: 1 3

1 SRM 2 (OS) Front 0 1 1.50
TOTALS: 0 1 5.00
Items & Tons Left: 5 .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 40,792 C-Bills
Battle Value: 27
Cost per BV: 1,510.8
Weapon Value: 2 / 2 (Ratio = .07 / .07)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 3; MRDmg = 0; LRDmg = 0
BattleForce2: MP: 13H, Armor/Structure: 0 / 1

I can field almost 8 regiments (I think) of these cheap, loud hoverbikes for the cost of one of ANT's tanks.

Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Maurer
06/26/13 04:24 PM

Why do it on foot, when you can shoot that same missile while speeding at a over 200 km/h....over 800 times!

Rotwang
06/26/13 09:04 PM

Quote:

Building a custom design to beat his custom design, now that is really unfair !!!! You don't get to pick the units you want. You have to stick to vanilla designs like Scorpion tanks, Centurions and Manticores like a good boy and allow yourself to be shot to pieces as God intended all along.
Karagin
06/26/13 09:09 PM

Actually we can build custom to defeat his super tanks, since he can't seem to get it that a boy scout with a BB gun could stop his tanks. But if you want to go all canon and such then I will take the Jet Sled from the original MW RPG:

Code:
VALIDATED

Type/Model: Jet sled MG varient (F/A)
Tech: Inner Sphere / 3025
Config: Wheeled Vehicle
Rules: Level 1-FA, Standard design

Mass: 3 tons
Power Plant: 10 Vlar I.C.E.
Cruise Speed: 86.4 km/h
Maximum Speed: 129.6 km/h
Armor Type: ArcShield V Standard
Armament:
1 Machine Gun
Manufacturer: ScolTeck Associates
Communications System: StelthMat-Q w. MultiTrack
Targeting & Tracking System: Tar Tec Mini-Find

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
==Overview:==
The Jet sled is a runnered, ICE-powered, one- or two- man vehicle that looks
like a streamlined version of the 20th-century snowmobile, and is the primary
mode of transport in artic climes.Jet sleds can reach speeds of up to 125
km/hr and provide good crash protection. In rare instances jet sleds have
been outfitted with weapons for military applications (one to two MGs or small
lasers mounted on the front of the vehicle).

Type/Model: Jet sled MG varient (F/A)
Mass: 3 tons
Construction Options: Fractional Accounting

Int. Struct.: 4 pts Standard 0 .30
Engine: 10 I.C.E. 0 1.00
Cruise MP: 8
Flank MP: 12
Cockpit & Controls: 0 .15
Armor Factor: 8 pts Standard 0 .50

Internal Armor
Structure Value
Front: 1 3
Left / Right Sides: 1 2/2
Rear: 1 1

1 Machine Gun Front 0 100 2 1.00
TOTALS: 0 2 2.95
Items & Tons Left: 3 .05

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost: 15,732 C-Bills
Battle Value 2: 42 (old BV = 20)
Cost per BV: 374.58
Weapon Value: 1 / 1 (Ratio = .02 / .02)
Damage Factors: SRDmg = 1; MRDmg = 0; LRDmg = 0
BattleForce2: MP: 8W, Armor/Structure: 0 / 0

Karagin

06/27/13 09:12 AM

Quote:

a boy scout with a BB gun could stop his tanks.

Hummmm a bid of a Boy Scout with a BB gun...

OK, I am going to admit that is going to be hard to beat.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 225 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7253

Contact Admins Sarna.net