The Long Cold (heavy Clan long range fighter)

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
08/07/13 10:49 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Class/Model/Name: The Long Cold
Mass: 100 tons

Equipment: Mass
Power Plant: 300 XL Fusion 9.50
Thrust: Safe Thrust: 5
Maximum Thrust: 8
Structural Integrity: 10 .00
Total Heat Sinks: 30 (60) Double 20.00
Fuel: (800fp) 10.00
Cockpit & Attitude Thrusters: 3.00
Armor Type: Ferro-aluminum (403 total armor pts) 21.00
Standard Scale Armor Pts
Nose: 120
Left/Right Wings: 100/100
Aft: 84

Weapons and Equipment Loc Heat Mass
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extended Range Large Laser Nose 12 4.00
Medium Pulse Laser Nose 4 2.00
Anti-Missile System Nose 1 1.5

Extended Range Large Laser Left Wing 12 4.00
Medium Pulse Laser Left Wing 4 2.00
Medium Pulse Laser Left Wing 4 2.00
Anti-Missile System Left Wing 1 1.5

Extended Range Large Laser Right Wing 12 4.00
Medium Pulse Laser Right Wing 4 2.00
Medium Pulse Laser Right Wing 4 2.00
Anti-Missile System Right Wing 1 1.5

Extended Range Medium Laser Aft 1 1.00
Extended Range Medium Laser Aft 1 1.00

Everyone likes to do 100 ton designs so I said what the **** why not do one my self.

This is a long-range patrol fighter. It is not expected to have any reinforcements available if it ever gets into trouble so it was given massive amounts of armor, some heavy hitting long range weapons that does not rely on limited ammo supplies, and double the amount of fuel that most fighters carry. Its one weakness is its limited supply of Anti-Missile System ammo. If it gets into more than one fight during a patrol it might not have any ammo in its AMS left to defeat incoming missiles.

When it leaves on patrol it is filled with external fuel tanks to extend its patrol range. If it comes under fire it can jettison the external fuel so it can fight at its full ability. After the fight it can turn to its base or call in a fuel carrier to refuel it.

Because of the rarity of seeing any action its not uncommon to see this fighter to be piloted by a freeborn pilot. Most Trueborns would rather not be stuck in a fighter for up to a week just looking at empty space and having little chance of seeing any action its better in there opinion to dump lesser pilots to do such work and leave them free to do real work like being sent on real combat missions.

The ships main weapon system is five extended range large lasers. It is not uncommon for any pirates that see an incoming patrol to attempt to run so the fighters where given weapons that could fire at very long distances at retreating foes that can out run the fighter.

It was armed with five medium pulse lasers as back up to the main weapons if someone tried to duke it out and get into close range where the large lasers are not as affective as shorter range weapons are.

The two extended range medium lasers where added in the aft just in case the pilot needed something to fire to the rear. The designers did not expect the pilot to need rear firing weapons on a patrol fighter so only two tons was devoted to the rear.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
08/07/13 06:41 PM

And this is why I am all for SAM systems and AAA guns and other fighters.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
08/07/13 07:40 PM

A SAM would be useless because of the fighters AMS.

I am not sure of your point.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
08/07/13 08:25 PM

Layered defense and no SAMs would not be pointless since you would not be facing a single shot style and eventually one or more would get through.

There are ways to beat BOTH versions of AMS.

RACs and LBX guns can bring down your super fighter, as can several hits from the different ammo types from the normal ACs. Also I have seen folks use the Arrow IVs as SAMs.

Let me ask this you have missiles coming at you, say 8 SRMs and 15 LRMs are the results of the total to hit hit, which ones are you going to engage with your AMS systems? Then wait here come the next group and the next, your heat goes up or you start to run out of ammo even with the changes to how that works...again layered defense.
Karagin

08/07/13 10:03 PM

Arrow IVs are guided missiles so should be affected by AMS.

This is a patrol fighter not an air superiority fighter. If they are out gunned they turn tail and report their findings. Anyways I doubt that asteroid pirates would have that kind of aerospace defenses anyways. Their best defense would be not to be found in the first place.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
08/07/13 10:22 PM

You are again going with the idea that the player would fire a single salvo of ONE missiles, no one is going to do that. And this is BT, where even pirates can make their own mechs and have this nack for finding working relics of SL tech all over the damn place.
Karagin

08/08/13 06:18 AM

True. Only so many mechs can be built every year and they are being destroyed every time you turn around but everyone and there brother has a battlemech despite how rare they should be even to the great houses.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5158

Contact Admins Sarna.net