What is the best Battletech weapon?

Pages: 1
ATN082268
08/10/13 06:59 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
What is the best Battletech weapon? Choose one.
What is the best Battletech weapon?
You may choose only one
Clan Large Pulse laser
Clan Medium Pulse Laser
Clan Gauss Rifle
Clan ER PPC
Inner Sphere Medium Laser
Other (please specify)

Votes accepted from (08/10/13 05:58 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Karagin
08/10/13 01:51 PM

A player who understands the limits of their platform of choice, be it a mech or vehicle or fighter etc...and know how to use them.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Maurer
08/11/13 06:19 AM

Other, clan tech is so uber, it makes Inner Sphere tech look stupid and I don't really want to debate it (rather come up with IS mech designs and fluff nowadays). Until the clans really pay a price for their mech construction or weaponry be it in weight, range, or damage, nothing can beat it. (The Clans only weakness are Honor based rules and supposedly limited resources during the inital invasion, but that doesn't really mean a dam when a single omnimech is supporting more firepower then a IS mech on a game board)
"Captain! We're completely surrounded on all sides." - Kiff, Futurama
..."Excellent, then we may attack in any direction." - Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"A fool fights a war on two fronts; only an idiot defends on one." - Fusilier
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
08/11/13 09:02 AM

I agree whole heartily!
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Accords12
09/05/13 01:25 AM

IS Medium laser is where its at, I never leave my ride without at least two of the blighters mounted on
Shadrak
09/18/13 01:14 PM

20 ton 3025 stinger with DHS and 4 Heavy Medium Lasers...so long as he is operating in an urban environment he can take down a 3025 Awesome single handedly
Accords12
09/21/13 06:30 AM

I dont really go for massed batteries, I just think that there is no IS mech that couldn't use a couple med las to back her up if it breaks down to cqc
ghostrider
09/21/13 03:25 PM

Well, the stinger thing depends on who wins initiative. A bad move and the awsome just pounds the hell out of the stinger. I do agree that its always a good idea to have atleast one or more energy weapons to use.

I like the ultra ac 20. Always had issues with missles, since when i hit with them, I rarely seemed to roll more then an 8 on the number of missles that hit. Love ppcs as well. Guess it goes to the head hits. PPC will go crit while a fresh armored head will survive a large laser hit.

Also tend to like physical attacks, so the ac 20 is good for it. Combined ppc/ac20 means a sneaky damage machine. Try to get under the range of the ppcs only to get the 20s. Targetting computers with dual ultra 20s, if you hit the same spot, even an atlas gets some horrible internal damage to it.
Ironnerd
09/22/13 12:54 PM

PPC

10 ht, 10 dmg, rng: 3/6/12/18, 7t, 3 crits

Compared to the A/C 10
3 ht, 10 dmg, rng: 0/5/10/15, 12t, 7 crit, 10 rounds/ton of ammo

Looks like the A/C has a lot going for it, less heat, no minimum range, same damage, but let's make it a little more "Apples-to-Apples"

The PPC weighs 5 tons less than the A/C-10, that means you can add 5 HS to the mech, without adding more weight than the AC. That makes the "12ton PPC's" Heat "5". Of course the A/C needs at least 1 ton of ammo. We'll assign that ton for another HS, making our 13ton PPC's effective heat 4.

So for the same weight, the PPC creates one additional point of heat, takes up 2 additional criticals, but has 3 hexes greater range, and never runs out of ammo or suffers an ammo explosion. The minimum range of 3, can be sen as a detractor, but it also tends to keep the mech out of range of MG's and SM Lasers. Since energy weapons don't suck up ammo, players also tend to go for the "Hit on 12" shots.
Shadrak
09/22/13 03:50 PM

Quote:
PPC

10 ht, 10 dmg, rng: 3/6/12/18, 7t, 3 crits

Compared to the A/C 10
3 ht, 10 dmg, rng: 0/5/10/15, 12t, 7 crit, 10 rounds/ton of ammo

Looks like the A/C has a lot going for it, less heat, no minimum range, same damage, but let's make it a little more "Apples-to-Apples"

The PPC weighs 5 tons less than the A/C-10, that means you can add 5 HS to the mech, without adding more weight than the AC. That makes the "12ton PPC's" Heat "5". Of course the A/C needs at least 1 ton of ammo. We'll assign that ton for another HS, making our 13ton PPC's effective heat 4.

So for the same weight, the PPC creates one additional point of heat, takes up 2 additional criticals, but has 3 hexes greater range, and never runs out of ammo or suffers an ammo explosion. The minimum range of 3, can be sen as a detractor, but it also tends to keep the mech out of range of MG's and SM Lasers. Since energy weapons don't suck up ammo, players also tend to go for the "Hit on 12" shots.

Are you restricting yourself to 3025 weapons alone?

If so, and you are balancing range, damage, heat, weight, and crit (not to mention $), then it is medium lasers.

To the OP...it all depends on the competition and your force build...a VTOL with a Clan ER LL that move 8-12...well, in that case a Clan ER LL is probably the best weapon (light guass comperable, but heavier, less damage and ammo dependant).
ghostrider
09/23/13 12:24 AM

Everything depends on what the enemy has. In the design area of these forums, someone came up with a 10/15 mech. Using clan er medium lasers, in normal open terrain, the vtol will be caught and probably wiped out by the mech.

Granted, most mechs wont be able to catch the vtol. An ac 10 has the damage to heat down pretty good, but still isnt as good as a gauss rifle for damage to range. I dont know the whole reason behind it, I just like the ppc for longer range weapons.
I like the ultra 20s for short range.
But thats using the older tech. The clan erppc is a great upgrade. Yes, they are heat hogs, especially compared to other weapons. The ultra 10 can do more damage with a double hit, and still use alot less heat. The gauss rifle is better heat, with better damage if only one part of the volley hits.

In a confined area, a multitude of medium lasers rule. Potential 15 points for 9 heat with no minimum is better. Even the chances to hit are better, since you get three chances vs 1 with a ppc.

And more then a few battles have been won/loss on a lucky hit. Even without head shots, a single point going internal can kill a mech. Its very rare and hard to do, but it has happened.
Shadrak
09/24/13 04:35 AM

Quote:
Everything depends on what the enemy has. In the design area of these forums, someone came up with a 10/15 mech. Using clan er medium lasers, in normal open terrain, the vtol will be caught and probably wiped out by the mech.

Granted, most mechs wont be able to catch the vtol. An ac 10 has the damage to heat down pretty good, but still isnt as good as a gauss rifle for damage to range. I dont know the whole reason behind it, I just like the ppc for longer range weapons.
I like the ultra 20s for short range.
But thats using the older tech. The clan erppc is a great upgrade. Yes, they are heat hogs, especially compared to other weapons. The ultra 10 can do more damage with a double hit, and still use alot less heat. The gauss rifle is better heat, with better damage if only one part of the volley hits.

In a confined area, a multitude of medium lasers rule. Potential 15 points for 9 heat with no minimum is better. Even the chances to hit are better, since you get three chances vs 1 with a ppc.

And more then a few battles have been won/loss on a lucky hit. Even without head shots, a single point going internal can kill a mech. Its very rare and hard to do, but it has happened.

It is all going to depend on the situation and, as you said, what the enemy has. That mech moving 10/15, if the opponents start out at, two map sheets apart, is going to have to weather three to four turns without being in range to fire (fire first round at 34 hexes apart, move 12 hexes laterally with VTOL should keep the VTOL just outside of the range of the ER MLs. Depending on Mech response and size of mapsheets, the VTOL can circle or move back to original positioning). If the mech makes it inside of 15 hexes, though, the VTOL is probably going down in 1 or 2 turns. And this is assuming that that pilots are good enough to hit the targets (when the mech is in the VTOL's medium range, the VTOL will need to hit +8 (medium range, attacker moves flank, target moves 15) but the Mech will need to hit +11 (Attacker run, Long Range, Target Jumping/Airborne, Target moves 12). That 3 point difference will persist at hex distance 6-8, 11-15, and the VTOL is un-targetable at ranges outside of 16 hexes.
And that is assuming that they are operating in clear terrain.

Unfortunately, the rules for VTOL side-slipping, doesn't seem to indicate how long a VTOL can hold a slide slip, so I am assuming they can side-slip at flank speed forward-lateral for full flank MP and rear-lateral for full cruise MP. A 1 pt facing change, 10 pt side-slip, and 1 pt facing change (based on my understanding of rules, this should be allowable), could probably keep the mech in the VTOL's range sweet spot indefinitely.
TigerShark
12/01/13 06:18 PM

There's no real "best" weapon.

When people talk about the Clan Large Pulse being "broken," it's usually under the BV system where true balance isn't being taken into account. Some weapons are under-valued (LPL) and some are over-valued (UAC/20). If you change the numbers around a bit and compensate for the pulse bonus a bit more, you end up with an average weapon.

Example: Take the CLPL and re-calculate its value near that of a Clan ER PPC. Find out what the new BV of your 'Mechs are and see if it's overpowering still.
TigerShark
12/01/13 06:23 PM

Even the "bad" weapons aren't really terrible; they're just over-valued. The AC/10 and AC/5, for example, are grossly overvalued, as are under-fed ammunition designs like the BNC-5S. There's a work-around for this, but I doubt it will be updated in a timely fashion.
ghostrider
12/09/13 05:45 PM

Any pulse laser is great to use. The lesser range kinda throws people off, but the -2 to hit does make up for it. I dont think bv takes that into account. By itself, it came change the to hit number to a shorter range, ie medium to short because of the bonus, if you want to look at it that way. Might even turn an automatic miss into something you can hit.

The Heavy laser series does something similar, though it isnt less range then the normal lasers. Now if a large laser had only a max range of 9, then it wouldnt be used as much.
Yes, there are ways to negate problems, but that can be said with all issues.
Retry
12/09/13 07:02 PM

Once you find a way to get around the large naval vessel and airship support rules to actually create a valid, not overtonned military vessel, give me a holler.

I haven't tried it much, but VSP lasers + targeting CPU on aerospace or conventional fighters seems to murder any fast recon mechs.
Clan LPLs are so good an idiot can use it(can refer to either the pilot or the actual player). Where they get their accuracy from compared to non-pulse lasers, I have no clue.

IS pulse lasers seem to be awful anywhere except on fighters, which has simplified range brackets.

If you unofficially house rule UACs to roll twice for to-hits instead of once to-hit and another on the cluser table, it becomes a killer urban or strafing weapon.(Don't ask how you can fit a fighter with 200 millimeter high-end tank/mech main guns). The clan UAC 10 will actually be able to compete well with other main guns such as the cERPPC and cGauss, which is very nice.

But none of these weapons even come close to comparing against the Santa Ana nuclear warhead, ofc
ghostrider
12/10/13 01:55 AM

Pulse weaons are supposed to get their bonus due to multiple shots being fired, allowing the comp to change the aim like firing a full clip on an mg instead of just popping a single shot.

I dont not have the newer books, and only rarely touched making home made fighters years ago.

I just liked the idea of having duel uac 20's with targeting computers, and hoping I can hit with all shots. Would internal any mech out there if all shots hit same spot, including the center torso armor. Really bites when all miss. Almost destroy any legal (no over 100 ton) mech.
TigerShark
12/10/13 02:33 AM

Except UAC/20s are incredibly short-ranged. They are cumbersome and only good in artificial environments (like a game taking place on a single map sheet).
ghostrider
12/10/13 12:48 PM

if i remember, the ultra series has a slightly longer range then the normal cannons.
Even if Im wrong, which is probable, it is the same range as a normal medium laser. As well as a normal srm pack. Granted they are short compared to the gauss rifle, and such.
I grant you it is NOT for long open areas, but that is why you carry other weapons. I had it combined with dual er ppcs with a pair of lrm 5's. Yes, it is not designed as well as alot of other mechs, The nice thing about them, is if in an omni mech, you can easily swap them out for guass rifles, (older versions) which are the same weight.

I have always had problems with missles. When I did hit, I seemed to roll low alot. More often then not, I would hit with less then half the missles in the pack. Not saying they are bad, just had bad luck with them. Long or short, it didnt matter.

Ive seen someone use a 55 ton 5/8/0 mech with 18 machine guns and 2 medium lasers, that used it to good effect. He would run it behind any mech that got close enough. It was a crit making machine. And we used the canon map sheets. I countered him with one that had 10 small lasers. Its just the way the game played out.
Retry
12/10/13 07:07 PM

Clan ultras, at least, have a range of 4/8/12
It makes a nasty secondary weapon if you can fit it.
If you have LRMs w/o streak or Artemis, make the maximum use of special munitions. That helps to fight the cluster hits table issues.
BobTheZombieModerator
12/15/13 10:28 AM

I would personally have to say the LBX AC-20 is probably my favorite, but not (technically) the best weapon. Slap three of those on an assault, and you're pretty devastating.
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
Retry
12/15/13 11:54 AM

Yeah... at point blank.
And then I bring dual HAG/40s to make you and your mech jelly
BobTheZombieModerator
12/31/13 09:15 PM

Yeah, that's the main problem... range.

If it is open enough, my favorite has to be ERPPCs; get four of those and I'm set. Back in the day I spent many a hour on MW4 practicing with PPCs.
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
YSIM
01/22/14 09:36 AM

As I only play 3025-26, IS Medium Laser.

Accept no substitutes.
BootDisk
01/10/18 12:06 AM

I was just playing around in Excel, and I calculated the following data for each of the Inner Sphere energy weapons:

Average damage per hex (DPHex)
DPHex, adjusted for heat
DPHex, adjusted for weapon tonnage
DPHex, adjusted for the number of critical slots
...and the product of those four results.

[example: a PPC has a minimum range of 3, and does "full damage" of 10 until hex 6. From hexes 7 through 12, I simulated a plus two modifier by reducing the damage to 6.666666667 (4/6*10) and from hexes 13 through 18 I simulated a plus four modifier by reducing the damage to 3.3333333333 (2/6*10). This gives an average damage per hex of 5.55555556. Then I divide by 10 heat, divide by 7 tons, and divide by 3 crit slots. This gives a final rating of "4.5". Compare that to the other energy weapons' final values:

41.2 Medium Laser
32.0 Small Laser
32.0 Medium Pulse Laser
24.7 ER Medium Laser
23.4 ER Small Laser
10.1 Large Laser
9.3 Large Pulse Laser
8.3 ER Large Laser
8.0 Small Pulse Laser
5.2 ER PPC
4.5 PPC
1.1 Flamer

I voted for IS Medium Laser, obviously. I've never played Table Top BattleTech before, so if you think I messed up the formulas, I'm all ears.
ghostrider
01/11/18 11:21 PM

The board game uses the same to hit and damage as the table top. Just visually seeing how things work seems to be the difference.
Now time to throw in another issue. Clan weapons.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 15685

Contact Admins Sarna.net