TRO3145

Pages: 1
Karagin
09/23/13 10:24 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay...I was looking forward to this one, WAS. Thought we would see more then the tease of the faction based PDFs that have been coming out since May...thought we would see some really good stuff for the ROTS (they need to change that name). Was hoping for some good stuff to see the Republic come on out and kick butt and we could go back to the fun of the BT universe.

Yeah no, that did not happen. In fact the book is 2/3s a reprinting of the Faction PDFs with the extra of notable pilots and then the rest is Republic stuff. So I am wondering what CGL was thinking, did they really think folks wouldn't notice they pretty much scammed us to pay for things twice? Or that for a mere 1/3 of the book of Republic toys it would be worth a $40 (plus shipping if you couldn't find a FLGS to order it for you or even carry it) price?

Then once into the book, the sections are not broken down like the older TROs, you turn the page and wait what I am now reading about vehicles, wasn't I just in the battlearmor part? Then we get pages of new rules, funny didn't FM3145 just have all of this in a nicer format? Can't wait for the next update of Core Rulebooks, at this rate we may want to start borrowing from STAR FLEET GAMES and have 3 ring binders ready to handle all of the rule changes and new versions and errata. Loved the quirks, I guess that is CGLs way of bring the fluff text into play. The one about Illegal Designs was a hoot. Most folks who use or try to use Illegal designs do so in a manner that it takes a couple of turns to catch on. Like a 65 tonner with the armor and weapons of 100 tonner. Or having that extra ton or 10 of ammo for the main gun. Or double marking damage versus normal way of doing so. Most would call that cheating in a blunt manner with a lot of adverbs and adjectives. But now it's okay as longs you can claim it all fits into the record sheet you can use it as longs as you claim the quirk. Can't wait to see how that plays out. I wonder what the quirk would be called to say NO to allowing quirks in a game run at a convention...

Then comes the super heavy mechs...while a cool idea and something fun can be done with this, yeah I think we will get to see the munchkin designs of decades old appearing soon. And while we might get a few diamonds from the pile of stocak, more then likely we will the same tired and true Munchkin Design Format hold fast super missile or energy or gun boats that have 10 times the fire power etc...but there is one cool thing, we can all try our hand at building the MONSTER from Robotech now. That should be fun to watch.

Overall this TRO was a major disappointment for me, I guess I was getting my hopes up that we were going to see a turning point and push away from the ClickTech setting and more forward push, but I am not seeing that in this one. While some may love this (and I am sure some will just because I don't like it) and others may find a nugget or six, I am sure I will find one or more mechs or vehicles that are cool, over all it was not worth the cover price for Dead Tree Format and this is coming from one who likes books, and find that it would have been better as a PDF file instead.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
lonewolf0409
09/24/13 03:26 PM

When I got a response back from CGL about the TRO 3145 they said that they were not planning on putting out a PDF format of the TRO 3145.
Karagin
09/24/13 06:36 PM

Awesome idea.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 148 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3663

Contact Admins Sarna.net