damage to infantry

Pages: 1
ghostrider
03/04/14 07:09 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
How many trees in heavy woods do you need to destroy to make it light woods?
How many trees are in light woods?
How do you destroy that many with a single shot of a weapon?

once you answer that, tell me how a tree that can take more damage the a human being, can have multiples of them destroyed to reduce or remove the woods with one shot?
skiltao
03/04/14 02:08 PM

Originally:
Light woods mostly consist of 1.5-3 trees with additional ground clutter.
Heavy woods seem consist of 4-5 trees.
These trees are only 12 meters tall with 10 meter spreads; they're not very big. (CityTech trees are ~20% smaller.)

The new quickstart map reverses it:
Light woods seem to consist of 4-5 small trees with no ground clutter.
Heavy woods seem to consist of a single large tree.

If you can knock a bunch of branches off, or cut a few key branches, or knock one tree partially down with another tree, that should be enough to degrade the woods hex. (Cutting two trees down completely would be ideal).

Uprooting a tree doesn't seem out of the question for many or most 'Mech-scale weapons. Cutting a lane through branches doesn't seem out of the question for most 'Mech-scale lasers.

The old "clearing woods" rules gave different weapons different chances to uproot or cut through such trees, in proportion to their firepower. This was in line with how the old rules affected infantry.

New rules give infantry better armor, I guess? Maybe the new trees are armored too.

Edited by skiltao (03/04/14 02:09 PM)
Retry
03/04/14 03:19 PM

Trees are big targets and don't move.
ghostrider
03/04/14 03:48 PM

retry. To clear the woods with a single weapon. How do you do it if you need to shoot multiple targets with the same weapon. Remember. They are not moving, so the likely hood of having several in a line is not that high.

Also remember, that an mg can not clear the hard trees. Yet is it designed to fire multiple rounds.
CrayModerator
03/04/14 06:51 PM

Quote:
once you answer that, tell me how a tree that can take more damage the a human being, can have multiples of them destroyed to reduce or remove the woods with one shot?

Trees have trouble dodging, taking cover, and hugging the ground.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
ghostrider
03/04/14 06:55 PM

The difference between how much damage a tree can take vs a human is part of the issue with damage. But when retry was saying it is hard to hit more then on human with a laser, I thought about the woods example. They take more damage then a human. You don't need a tightly focused beam to wipe out a human.

A simple sweep of the beam should be enough to eliminate the weak skinned humans.

And you would be surprised how many trees have jumped out onto the roads and grabbed cars.
Retry
03/04/14 06:56 PM

That's what I've been trying to tell these people(and failing to do so)
ghostrider
03/05/14 12:26 AM

well I guess they had to do something to get people to play infantry. Otherwise they character creation books had a bunch of unnecesary sections in it.
Make is so they can survive. At the old rate only the nobles could be an infantry colonel.
Sheesh.
skiltao
03/05/14 12:25 PM

In fairness, it now takes 40-50 points of damage to knock down a couple trees. So at least they're being consistent.
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4912

Contact Admins Sarna.net