Donkeys responce to Dark Age era Upgraded Heat Sinks and going off topic

Pages: 1
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
05/23/14 07:07 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
The double heat sink should never had been allowed that is going even farther in the wrong direction.

How I would have done it was IS get one free heat sink per 25 point engine rating and clans get one free heat sink per 20 point engine rating. That would have made ACs and missiles a lot more attractive.

I would also had the hit result a modifier in the missile hit table. I would have also expanded the missile hit table so even if you get a really bad hit roll with a LRM20 you still might hit with a missile or two. I would also have had the IS missile launcher at the weight of the Clan launchers then have the clan launcher at three forths the weight of the IS launcher and not at half.

As for the ACs I would drop the heat that they create to AC/2 = 0, AC/5 = 1, AC/10 = 2, AC/20 = 4

This would stop lasers from being the all powerful weapon that they are in BT
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Karagin
05/23/14 09:21 PM

I see what you are saying but most folks like the big damage ammo weapons over energy weapons.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
LegatusDavoke
05/24/14 01:39 AM

I like your AC and Missile ideas, I might House Rule that once I start GM'ing for some friends.
There'll be the devil to pay mate. Better make it good, eh?
ghostrider
05/24/14 04:24 AM

The energy weapons are dominant for several reasons.
The weight/damage/crits is out of whack for lot of ammo weapons.
The running out of ammo and it being so damn expensive to keep restocking.
Energy weapons don't explode when hit.

I do agree that to bring ammo weapons back in line with energy weapons something needs to be done. The double heat sink isn't that bad. They should have stuck with 3 spaces for them, and kept the clans with 3 as well. Makes you choose weight or crits.

Honestly, I think all heat sinks should be allocated and non hidden by the engine. The engine takes the same amount of space if its a 25 or a 400 rating. The light and xl are the only difference there. Why would something the size of a small car hide more heat sinks just because it is rated more?

We had a small discussion about the missile hitting numbers before, and I agree the tables make it so they are not worth using as much. Lrms have range and that's about it.
Its bad enough trying to hit, but then having half the missiles miss? That's complete crap.
05/24/14 10:18 AM

Yes double heat sinks are they make the over powering energy weapons even more over powering.

Lets make out a second line Clan mech with double heat sinks that has a weight of 23 to use

ballistic
Ultra AC/10 weight 10
Ultra AC/5 weight 7
needed heat sinks weight 0
ammo 3
ammo 3

Damage 15-30
Limited ammo supply
Ammo can explode if crit

Missile
5 LRM 15s weight 17.5
ammo 5

Damage *45 (give or take)
damage reduced by AMS
limited ammo supply
ammo explodes if crit
takes up a lot of crit spaces
over heats by 5 each turn if all are fired

Energy
ERPPC weight 6
ERLL weight 4
Large Pulse Laser weight 6
7 double Heat sinks weight 7

Damage 35
unlimited firing will fire even if a roll of 12 is needed to hit
only loss of use of weapon if crit
takes up very little crit space
PPC & LL out ranges all other weapons
LPL -2 to hit
most DHS are hidden in engine and uses few crits
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
LegatusDavoke
05/24/14 12:50 PM

Yeah...to me the LAC's seemed like they should've been the "real" weights for autocannon. And its pretty funny how the LRM5 on the Bushwacker has always looked larger than the AC/10, yet the AC/10 is bigger every which way. AC's need to be shrunk. Something like a 3 slot AC5 at 6 tons, a 5 slot AC/10 at 10 tons, and a 9 slot AC/20 at 13 tons. Simply because now you can XL IS mechs with an AC/20.
ghostrider
05/25/14 02:21 AM

you can now. Just have to forget having a moving arm on one side as the crits are shared between the 2 locations.

ac 2 and gauss have longer ranges then the ppc/ll. I think that is true with the er versions as well, but been a while since I looked. Still. The old weapons means the little pop gun 2 wasn't worth it since the only thing you were looking for with it is a crit. You are not going to take out many heavy/assault mechs with it otherwise.

You could go the other direction with energy weapons. Make them produce more heat due to coolant warming up. Maybe decrease the sink efficiency each round. Could really be nasty and have it compound. x round increases more rapidly.

Or have the weapon start shutting down after so many consecutive shots, like the masc system.
Targeting issues with them as well.
LegatusDavoke
05/26/14 01:21 AM

That mechwarrior PPC effect? That could be fun if they acted like an ECM to the firing mech if more than four shots of PPC's total were fired in 3 turns or less. Then have an electronic damper that costs extra weight and space to negate that effect if you mount a lot of PPC's
05/26/14 02:02 AM

If you can have up to 16 standard heat sinks with a 400 rated engine you cant mount four PPCs and realistically fire them all without massive over heating.

As for clans they could have 20 free heat sinks in their 400 engine but with 15 heat from their ERPPC they can only realistically fire one each round

But I got a promotion.
Yay for promotions!!!
LegatusDavoke
05/26/14 02:09 AM

I was thinking in DHS terms, but considering its a 3 turn(rather than one turn) period, it makes more sense.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 334 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4882

Contact Admins Sarna.net