Clash of the TITANS!!!!

Pages: 1
KamikazeJohnson
10/05/14 01:59 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Play-by-Play Announcer: It's time, Ladies and Gentlemen, for our MAIN EVENT! For the first time ever, two of Johnson 'Mechworks, Inc.'s premiere designs will face off for the title of Most Lethal War Machine In All Creation, Past, Present, Or Future!

Colour Commentator: That's right, Ted. And we all know how prestigious that MLWMIACPPOF title is. There's a lot of excitement out there in the stands tonight.

PPA: And here comes our first combatant! Entering in through the Challenger's Gate, weighing in at 70 tons, he's Fast, he's Furious, he carries a Big Boomstick(TM)! It's the ABF-8G ATOMIC BULLFROG!!!!!

CC: He has to be feeling like quite the underdog here tonight Ted. The Heavyweight category for this title runs from 70-100 tons. It takes a lot of nerve to step into that arena knowing that the other guy is almost certain to be bigger, possibly by over 40%.

PPA: Size isn't everything, Al...it's how you use it. Look at that: the crowd loves him!

CC: So who's he gonna be facing, Ted?

PPA: We're about to find out, Al. The Champion's Gate is opening. Here he comes...

CC: Holy Mother of God...What the Hell is THAT!!!!!

PPA: I'd heard rumours, Al, but I never took them seriously. I can't believe my eyes, but there it is! It's the Great Boated Hulk, the Living Nightmare. The Thing That Goes Bump In The Night! The UNG-4N UNGOLIANT!!!!!!!!! What do you think about this matchup, Al? Al?

CC: *Gurgle...*

PPA: AL!!!

CC: *Choke* Sorry, Ted. I gotta say, the Ungoliant HAS to be the favourite here. He's 20 tons heavier, better armoured, and he carries more than THREE TIMES the fire power. But we really can't discount the ABF's mobility. He's gonna be pretty tough to hit out there in this wooded terrain. And we all know he gets the higher-seeded pilot, due to the lighter weight class.

PPA: There you have it folks. Finesse against Brute Force. Two 'Mechs Enter, One 'Mech Leaves. Who will it be? Find out, on this installment of...

Clash
Of
The
TITANS!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------
MY BLURB
This fight took place last night: two of my contenders for the upcoming Arena Tournament in November. Both 'Mechs hitting the board for the first time. I ran the Ungoliant, while the Atomic Bullfrog was controlled by the same player who won the previous Arena Event with JMinc.'s prototype Anvil design.

Single map, scattered woods, flat terrain. A per tournament rules, the Ungoliant, at 90 tons, had a 3/3 pilot, while the lighter ABF had the advantage of a 2/2 pilot.

Any speculation on how this played out? How would you place your bets on this matchup? I'll post actual results in a couple days.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
10/05/14 09:47 AM

oh no. What was the outcome?

Someone had fun.

Wait. Are we talking about people the post on this board?

KamikazeJohnson
10/05/14 10:34 AM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

oh no. What was the outcome?

Before I post the results, I'm curious what people would expect to happen in thin this fight.

Quote:
Someone had fun.

Yes. Yes I did.

Quote:
Wait. Are we talking about people the post on this board?

The other player will probably be joining the site soon, but no, he's not one of the regulars.
--Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
10/06/14 12:10 AM

No comments, pre-game analysis, or off-site betting? I was hoping to get a bit of debate going before posting the actual results. Ah well. I'll spill the details tomorrow.

I wonder...should this be in the Board Game section instead?
--Thomas Jefferson
BobTheZombieModerator
10/06/14 12:21 AM

I was quite amused by the "commentators" banter, so I took that as the pre-game analysis...
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
KamikazeJohnson
10/06/14 12:32 AM

Quote:
BobTheZombie writes:

I was quite amused by the "commentators" banter, so I took that as the pre-game analysis...

That was my analysis...I was wondering what everyone else thought.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
10/06/14 04:15 AM

someone had fun was the outcome.

As for the winner of the battle, I am going to assume bullfrog only because it sounds like you ran it, and wouldn't put the hype into it had you lost

I guess I should read a little better. You have the other mech. oh well not gonna edit out the statement. Good to show I am wrong on occasion. Makes others feel good about themselves.

Edited by ghostrider (10/06/14 04:18 AM)
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
10/06/14 12:05 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

I guess I should read a little better. You have the other mech. oh well not gonna edit out the statement. Good to show I am wrong on occasion. Makes others feel good about themselves.

Oh don't worry on that account we are fully aware that your wrong a lot.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
KamikazeJohnson
10/07/14 02:35 AM

Play-by-Play Announcer: Hello again, good to have you back! Good to see you, Al.

Colour Commentator: It's good to be back, Ted. What's tonight's Top Story?

PPA: Last night's highlights, of course. It was quite the spectacle, two prototype from the notorious Johnson MechWorks, Inc. squaring off in a fight to the death. Expectations were high, and I have to say Al, the competitors really delivered.

CC: That they did, Ted. Which one do you want to talk about first?

PPA: The Ungoliant, of course. First time it's ever been seen outside the privacy of the JMInc. compound. Until yesterday, no one even knew for sure there was a working prototype. The whole project was shrouded in so much secrecy.

I have to say, I completely lost it when that...thing walked out through that gate. Never seen anything like it. Not even remotely.

PPA: Makes quite an impression, doesn't it? All right, down to details. 90 tonner. Quad design. Average speed, which makes it fast for its size. Four legs make it more manoeveable and more stable, but without arms or an articulating torso, its firing arcs are limited.

CC: I still can't get over the firepower on that monster. LRMs for ranged work, and masses upon masses of lasers in close. I nearly soiled myself the first time he lit them all up. Pretty sure they saw that display from orbit.

PPA: And the bookies reports confirm what we suspected: the Ungoliant was about a 5:2 favourite with the odds-makers. Now the opponent: interesting concept, and a delight to watch in action. Don't you agree, Al?

CC: Absolutely agree, Ted. 70 tonne Biped, and fast, too. Improved Jump Jets as well. Could have heard a pin drop in the stands the first time he lifted off. If those jets weren't making so damned much noise, that is. Battle analysis sheet sheer says the Bullfrog was pulling off 240-meter lifts. Not many Light 'Mech pull that off.

PPA: And he wasn't just a Circus act either. True, he had only a third of the Ungoliant's total destructive potential, but that Heavy PPC is a sight to behold. Nasty on it's own, but with that capacitor charged up, that weapon blasts of well over a tonne of armour with a single hit. No one takes that lightly.

CC: What I found interesting was that the Ungoliant was an older model, no equipment on it that wasn't available in 3050, while the Atomic Bullfrog was state-of-the-art, a lot of it's gear is still experimental. So let's get to the details of the match.

PPA: Right on, Al. A lot of careful manoevering early on. The Bullfrog trying to line up a prime shot, waiting for the perfect opportunity to discharge the capacitor, and the Ungoliant trying to close to laser range. He did score a nice hit with the LRMs though...landed a pair of difficult shots, most of it hitting the Bullfrog dead center. Followed it up with a rush in close to light up those lasers. Didn't accomplish much with that though...that Atomic Bullfrog was jut too hard to hit.

Bullfrog answered with a couple nasty hits. Scanners showed his climbed up pretty high a couple times, but nothing crippling. That jump range was truly a sight to see, and combined with a top-ranked gunner working with a Targeting Computer, he rarely had a bad shot.

CC: That was kinda the story of the fight. Bullfrog bouncing around, taking potshots with the big gun, and the Ungoliant prowling the middle part of the arena, always looking for the chance to unleash hell. I can't help but feel like the Quad design was poorly suited to the arena environment, at least without mini-turrets or sponsons. More than once, the Bullfrog got into position to dish out some unanswered hits.

PPA: That really was the crux of it, Al. The Atomic Bullfrog was just too manoeverable for the Ungoliant to track. HIt by hit, one chunk at a time, the larger 'Mech was just getting picked apart. Not that the fight was completely one-sided. More than half the hits the Ungoliant delivered were to the chest, and it wasn't long before the Bullfrog had to be concerned about taking internal damage.

CC: The Ungoliant manoevered well, all things considered. I think against a slower opponent, there would have been little doubt about the outcome.

PPA: In the end though, the Atomic Bullfrog was just too hard to hit. Consistent hits to the front legs took there toll, first damaging some actuators on the Left, then removing the Right Front Leg completely. Once the bigger machine was reduced to a staggering crawl, that big back arc was a playground for the Bullfrog. Didn't take long to finish the fight. Surprising upset for the lighter 'Mech.

CC: Really shows how picking the right equipment for the fight makes all the difference. On a true battlefield, or against a ground-based opponent, the Ungoliant would be a force to be reckoned with. But the Atomic Bullfrog's jump range gave it the ability to exploit the Ungoliant's blind spots and lack of concentrated long-range fire. Great fight, exciting right to the finish.

----------------------------------
MY BLURB:
Any comments about the fight? Surprised by the result? Anyone want to see more of these battle reports?
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
10/07/14 03:42 AM

You are not supposed to have fun playing a match. What do you think you were doing? Playing a game?

I know it's gonna sound stupid, but do you think the extra gunnery affected the outcome that much?

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be interested in seeing the round by round story. Obviously the jets allowed you to avoid being hit while getting some decent positioning shots out, but if the enemy had a biped, would it have changed anything? Same thing with jets on the quad.

Now one question for those that like odd rules.
Should a quad be able to perform a kick to the rear arc, like a mule kick?
I know this is going to distract from your fight, so I apologize now. If its threadjacking, then move this part to another thread.
KamikazeJohnson
10/07/14 09:37 AM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:
I know it's gonna sound stupid, but do you think the extra gunnery affected the outcome that much?

The gunnery was definitely a factor. The fact that with gunnery + movement + TC, the ABF was able to generate a 3-point to-hit advantage over the Ungoliant (even more if it landed in trees, and left the UNG stuck out in the open) was a tremendous advantage. In fact, I don't think the Bullfrog missed with the PPC even once throughout the match.

Quote:

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be interested in seeing the round by round story. Obviously the jets allowed you to avoid being hit while getting some decent positioning shots out, but if the enemy had a biped, would it have changed anything? Same thing with jets on the quad.

The Ungoliant would have had a much better chance with the ability to torso-twist...3 times, the Atomic Bullfrog was in position to deliver unanswered damage, when a single-hex facing change would have been enough. Even so, with target numbers of 10+, it's hard to guess how much damage would have been done. That said, the ABF finished the fight with 69 points of armour damage...35 of those to the Center Torso. A single additional point to the CT would have been internal, possibly enough the end the fight.

Quote:

Now one question for those that like odd rules.
Should a quad be able to perform a kick to the rear arc, like a mule kick?
I know this is going to distract from your fight, so I apologize now. If its threadjacking, then move this part to another thread.

According to TW, section on Physical Attacks, Quads can kick to the rear arc with a +1 penalty. Only 1 kick per turn (can't kick Front and Rear in the same turn). Unfortunately at physical attack range, "Rear Arc" is only the single hex directly behind, not the 3-hex set like in the Front arc.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
10/07/14 10:52 AM

Don't remember that in total warfare, but then was never a fan of quads.

Any internal on the center torso always has the chance to end the fight. But it is interesting that it came down to it. 2 extra lrms in the center or a single medium laser. A few people never understood that a single point can make that much difference. Doesn't mean it would have taken out the mech, but the chance of it is the threat.

As long as it isn't 13+ rolling could still very well get the hit you need to end a fight. Ppc to the head of a non hardened armor at 10 points goes internal. That could very well end the game like the floating crit on torsos. Even without the cockpit hit, sensors could very well end your day.

Maybe a short story from the pilots point of view would make some decent reading.
KamikazeJohnson
10/11/14 09:27 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Don't remember that in total warfare, but then was never a fan of quads.

The lack of arm firing arcs and torso twists leave quads with a huge blind spot, even with rear-firing weapons. Slightly higher max armour, piloting bonus, Sidestepping, and Mule Kicks help compensate though.

Quote:
Any internal on the center torso always has the chance to end the fight. But it is interesting that it came down to it. 2 extra lrms in the center or a single medium laser. A few people never understood that a single point can make that much difference. Doesn't mean it would have taken out the mech, but the chance of it is the threat.

As it turned out, the Ungoliant's final hit to the Bullfrog was a 9-point LRM hit. The 5 points hit the arm, and the remaining 4 took off the last four points of CT armour. If those hit location rolls had come in reverse order, that could potentially have affected the outcome. Although it probably would have required a killing crit (2 Gyro or 3 Engine) to prevent the ABF from finishing it the following round anyway.

Quote:
Maybe a short story from the pilots point of view would make some decent reading.

Not a bad idea. Gonna work on that when I have some time. Thinking about posting the "transcript" of the pilot's radio transmissions during the match.
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
10/12/14 02:01 PM

add in announcers commentaries, like the crowd going nuts from a flashy ppc hit and such would add to the story. If you really wanted to, add in things like pilots taunting each other.
KamikazeJohnson
10/12/14 04:48 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

add in announcers commentaries, like the crowd going nuts from a flashy ppc hit and such would add to the story. If you really wanted to, add in things like pilots taunting each other.

No fair..now you're makng me work...
--Thomas Jefferson
ghostrider
10/12/14 11:05 PM

suggestions. You don't even have to respond to this post if you don't want to.
I still have not seen anyone else post a suggestion or even agree/disagree with the story. So you can put it down as no one other then me is interested in a story. So that should ease your mind that you do not have to even think of doing a story.
BobTheZombieModerator
10/13/14 01:46 AM

I think a story of sorts would be cool, but only do it if you want to/have the time. Seeing as how entertaining it's been so far, I'd for one like to see it fleshed out some
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details
Mekslayer
10/30/14 10:25 AM

Nice story... sounds like fun.

Can these mechs and pilot be challenged by similar mechs and pilots in megamek?

-Mek
KamikazeJohnson
10/30/14 11:49 PM

Quote:
Mekslayer writes:

Nice story... sounds like fun.

Can these mechs and pilot be challenged by similar mechs and pilots in megamek?

-Mek

Never used MegaMek, personally, but feel free to use the designs in your own matches. Let me know how they do!
--Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 8094

Contact Admins Sarna.net