favorite mechs of each weight class

Pages: 1
ghostrider
01/15/15 03:54 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I don't mean every tonnage available, I mean light, medium, heavy and assault.
Vehicles would be nice to see as well.
I know people have their mechs they like, but was talking canon ones for the most part, but any listed would be interesting.

I like the atlas for the ac 20, though it is short ranged and has an ammo dependent long range weapon. The awesome is a close second.

For heavies, I like the marauder, with the warhammer in close second.

For some reason, I am not thrilled with medium mechs, but I guess the griffin would be first choice with probably pheonix hawk second.

Lights the Jenner, Locust, and Panther are the ones I like most.

This would be for the early time in battle tech. More to come at a later time.
CarcerKango
01/15/15 04:09 PM

Mediums for me first. My fave is the Stealth or the Wraith, or, if clan tech, Shadow Cat FTW. If we're talking classic designs, then the Enforcer, first 'Mech I ever used in tabletop. As far as Clan Invasion goes I also like the Men Shen A. Also have fond memories of a Crab in MW2: Mercs not that long ago, running on a Macbook Pro through DOSBOX.
Lights: I like the Venom--all the selling points of a Spider and better armor and firepower to boot. I also like the Wolfhound--a good all-rounder. I have fond memories however of using a Mercury MCY-97 on BattleTech Frontierlands MUX...My first 'Mech there was an HER-2M Hermes II "Mercury"--fun fun. Panther's cool too. For Clans, I have a soft spot for the Kit Fox for some reason...
Heavies, I like the Archer -4M, very good ranged support. Catapult, the -C1, again from my MW2 days...just watch out for headshots! Thunder THR-1L is a cool "Assault Hunter", while the Dragon is just generally cool. Clan tech, I actually don't like the Mad Cat that much, I prefer the Linebacker. Grizzly's cool, so's the Summoner (Nicolai Malthus!!! AAAGHGHGHG!), but my favorite Clan heavy is definitely the Mad Dog. I found out that in the original MW2, the double-gauss version game without endosteel or ferro-fibrous, so what I'd do is add those, move the rifles to the side torsos, then install triple small pulse lasers...Fun fun. Also like Helios HEL-3D.
Assaults...Hmmm...My first Assault on Frontierlands was the Thug THG-11E. Cool brawler. Cudgel was funny for MG spam. My favorite IS assault of all time though has to be the Hatamoto-Chi...Shin's variant especially.
KamikazeJohnson
01/15/15 06:33 PM

To start off, I'm something of a "purist" when it comes to BTech...while I'm willing to play whatever's handed to me, I really identify most with the 3025 models, and stock models only, no variants. To me, those had the most individual character, which was somewhat lost in the later TROs.

Anyway, my 3025 faves:

LIGHT:
Ostscout
Spider is a close second for the same reasons, but the heavier armour on the Ostscout wins out over the second ML. Found out first hand just how much confusion and mayhem can be caused by a single hard target in behind yoyr support units...

MEDIUM:
Tough call, with the versatility of the Enforced and Centurion, the general utility of the Griffin, and the Blunt Force Trauma of the Hunchback, but I have to give this one to the Phoenix Hawk. Speed plus solid punch and overall versatility come together in a great package.

HEAVY:
No contest. You can't top the perfection of the TDR-5S Thunderbolt, although the Archer is a nice support unit.

ASSAULT:
A tie between the Battlemaster and Stalker. The B-Master majes up for it's relatively light firepower with good mobility and concentrated close-range punch. Rear-mounted MLs are a nice bonus. The Stalker is painfully slow, somewhat under-armoured, and blazing hot, but it's like the Clan Timber Wolf in concept...pick the weapons that best fit the situation.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Firestarter
01/15/15 07:50 PM

Light: Spider or Piranha
Medium: Huron Warrior
Heavy: Catapult
Assault: Albatross
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
01/17/15 02:30 PM

Quote:
Firestarter writes:

Light: Spider or Piranha
Medium: Huron Warrior
Heavy: Catapult
Assault: Albatross

Here I thought a Firestarter would have been a given.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
Firestarter
01/17/15 03:34 PM

Weell since it is in my name I wanted to put others.
CrayModerator
01/18/15 12:32 PM

Light: I've always been partial to the Panther and Valkyrie for some reason. Workhorses. I guess I'd pick the Panther if you made me focus.

Medium: The Shadowhawk has style; it appeared on so many early BT covers and, despite the popgun weaponry, really stuck with me. But the PHX Phoenix Hawk has stunning mobility. Variants like the PHX-1D are just fun to use. The Vindicator is a no-nonsense workhorse. With a little tweaking it could be great. I think I'd settle on a PHX-1D or its high tech variants if you pushed me to settle on one.

Heavy: The Warlord, as it was supposed to be 75 tons. It's supposed to be a super-Penetrator (my runner-up choice) and a lightweight version of the Battlemaster, and it manages to do that.

Assault: The Warlord, as it turned out due to a last-minute need for an assault 'Mech in that TRO. Hard to fault near-max armor, twin HPPCs, and batteries of MLs (except for the yawn factor).
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
wolf_lord_30
01/28/15 06:07 PM

For light mechs it has always been the Valkyrie. Honestly, probably because it was the first miniature I was given by my brother.
Medium, I like the Wolf Trap with its speed and firepower.
For a heavy mech, there are so many good ones to choose, but I would settle on the Crusader. Two LRM 15s for long range hurt and a couple of medium lasers and a kick for up close.
Assault mechs have never been my favorite class to choose, but I would pick the Highlander. Jump capable and mounts a gauss rifle, can get pretty nasty. Although I do like the Cyclops, but with its weak armor, I always got trashed with it.
Akalabeth
02/04/15 02:21 AM

If we're strictly talking 3025 then I'll bite.

Personally I favour medium mechs above all others as I prefer machines with 5/8 MP but in 3025 the pickings are not my favourite. The classics are of course classics (orig 12), but they're also so familiar that and I'm not such a huge fan of them anymore.

So, I'd probably go with the Enforcer. Don't like the Davions, but I Do like Large Lasers and particularly AC/10s. I'm under the impression the ammo is pretty vulnerable though. The Hunchback is another good ride.

For a Light Mech, probably go with the Locust. Tons of speed but not too optimized.

Heavies - Warhammer. Light armoured but one of the jack of all trades, particularly under the new rules with MGs. The 6L variant is a good one too.

Assaults - Never really happy with most 3025 assaults. So would go with the Stalker or the Banshee 3S. I've never ever found the Atlas appealing. And don't think I've ever driven one in all my years of playing the game.
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6317

Contact Admins Sarna.net