piloting mechs

Pages: 1
wolf_lord_30
01/31/15 10:30 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
So I've always just been curious how mechs are really supposed to be piloted. If you look at the cover of mechwarrior 2nd edition, that's how I always thought the cockpit should look like in a mech. But thinking over it now, which means I probably have too much time on my hands, I don't think that would really be the case. How would the pilot kick? When he misses how does he fight with his machine to keep it upright? How do they manipulate their hands to pick up the arm of a mech to use it as a club? When it calls for piloting skill rolls, what exactly would that entail for the pilot to do. A joystick in a cockpit and a throttle just doesn't cut it. And neither does a lot of buttons to push either. So, any thoughts?
CrayModerator
01/31/15 11:52 PM

All those questions are answered in great detail in Tech Manual, p. 31-43. The discussion on controlling a 'Mech is concentrated in p. 39-43.

The basic version is, the BattleMech does a lot of the work. They're fairly smart robots (except for the thinking-talking part.) A 'Mech doesn't make the final decisions on what to shoot, or where to walk, or when to kick. But it handles everything else that makes it possible to command the 'Mech with a few hand and foot controls.

Walking and running, for example. The MechWarrior simply pushes the throttle forward and the 'Mech handles all the details of moving the legs. Even when it hits rough, uneven ground, the "Diagnostic Interface" computer watches the ground, feels the feedback through the feet and joints, and adjusts its commands to the legs accordingly. The DI computer also uses the gyroscope (actually, "reaction wheels" - google'em) to stay balanced. With foot pedals, the MechWarrior steers. Reverse is just a matter of pulling the throttle backwards.

Targeting is handled by one or two joysticks, depending on the model of 'Mech. The MechWarrior uses a joystick to move crosshairs on their display screen to aim at the target and then pulls the trigger(s). The DI computer, meanwhile, handles also the details: if the MechWarrior was aiming with arm-mounted weapons, then the computer will aim and point the arms. If the MechWarrior was aiming torso-mounted missile launchers, the DI computer will send targeting data to the guided missiles, pivot the torso a bit, and let fly. Typically, those joysticks are backed with buttons so the MechWarrior can individually fire weapons or group them.

Punching and kicking are the same: you aim the crosshairs and pull a button. The 'Mech handles the rest.

There's a limit to what you can accomplish through buttons and joysticks and depending on robot intelligence, and thus there's the neurohelmet. The neurohelmet is no fancy cyberpunk direct neural interface that lets the MechWarrior "become" the 'Mech. Rather, it's a fancy EEG that lets the MechWarrior communicate some clarifications to his peddle-joystick-button commands to the 'Mech, and get a little sensory feedback.

For example, BattleMechs are big, tottering, top-heavy robots and thus the default "reflexes" of the 'Mech is to stay upright and avoid collisions. However, when a MechWarrior begins steering toward another 'Mech and wants to throw his into a deliberate collision, the MechWarrior can back up his foot peddle steering and throttle commands with a yes/no communication through the neurohelmet: "Yes, I want to get stupid and collide with that other 'Mech. Ramming Speed!" And the BattleMech will stop trying to stay upright and instead throw itself into the ramming action.

Likewise, kicking. Consider that as a BattleMech runs past an enemy, the MechWarrior has an "easy" time making a kick. He just points and clicks. Why does he have trouble staying upright? Because the DI computer was busy keeping the 'Mech upright and placing the feet of the running 'Mech, keeping those 20 to 100 tons thundering along at 30 to 150kph. The DI computer was having a fine old time until some fleshy munchkin in the cockpit commands one of its legs (which it needed to stay upright and running) to start flailing around at solid objects. (How would you like it if you were running a race when some CIA mind control satellite made one of your legs start kicking at other runners? You'd probably end up on your face.) A good MechWarrior will work with the 'Mech, feeling its gait through the neurohelmet to properly time the kick and give some warning to the 'Mech. After the kick, the DI computer will go into the routine of planting its feet for stability and using the gyroscope's reaction wheels to stay upright. The MechWarrior might help by doing some things like backing off on the throttle and refraining from firing high-recoil weapons while the 'Mech fumbles after the kick.

Controlling hand actuators is fairly simple. Again, the 'Mech is fairly 'smart' for certain definitions of robot intelligence. You can move your crosshairs over a tree or fallen 'Mech arm, pull the trigger, and your 'Mech will grab it - it's smart enough to recognize a club. You can do the same with people on the ground. The 'Mech is able to recognize small objects and that the MechWarrior wants to grab them. However, beyond "grab" and "drop" and "swing" commands, more sophisticated finger work requires a better interface. The two common methods are waldos (google'em) in the cockpit dash: you stick your hands in those and the 'Mech starts imitating your finger wiggling. Newer 'Mech models give the MechWarrior gloves with sensors in them and, with a button push, the 'Mech will start duplicating the hand and arm motions of the MechWarrior. (Within some limits - 'Mech cockpits don't have a lot of room to swing your arms.)

Sometimes neurohelmets are handy for hands, too. You can point-and-click to grab a human from the ground, but it'd be nice (for the human) to give your 'Mech a little warning that, "That object is squishy, be gentle."

Again, there's a lot more detail to be found in Tech Manual.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
wolf_lord_30
02/01/15 12:04 AM

Thanks. I never owned the tech manual and I'm trying to rebuild my collection off of memory and eBay searches. Now I know what else to look for.
CrayModerator
02/01/15 07:05 AM

Quote:
wolf_lord_30 writes:

Thanks. I never owned the tech manual and I'm trying to rebuild my collection off of memory and eBay searches. Now I know what else to look for.

Tech Manual would give you the ability to build most common battlefield units. "Total Warfare" would give you the ability to play the game with the latest rules, though you might look into a boxed set for maps and minis.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 226 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4189

Contact Admins Sarna.net