remote sensors

Pages: 1
ghostrider
02/08/15 09:15 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I'm not sure if here or another section would be good for this, but had something come up in another conversation.

Would it be worth discussing remote sensors such as a portable ecm unit that could be deployed by units moving out, similar to a narc pod?
Make it last so long and only cover the hex the unit it is on?
This would be great to silence a command mech or break up a c3 network. Might be able to cover a downed friendly unit for a short while.
Could make it so you could drop a remote probe while retreating so you could gather intel like units moving by it in a small range or even use it to sight artillery?

Going further, and getting munchier, have a way to drop land mines while doing so as well?

Just ideas, haven't thought about specifics yet.
Retry
02/09/15 12:41 AM

I'm not sure an ECM sensor exists. It'd probably have some use though, like breaking up a C3 network as you say. There might be a slight reliability issues with this tactic, however...

The ECM can itself be broken up with other units that have ECM. It can also be broken up by a small laser to the face, or even by trampling it with another mech(Only costs them 1 MP)

Remote probes can be used to spot for sight artillery and IDF such as mech mortars or LRMs. They have a targeting penalty applied though, being sensors and not an actual unit. Of course, if the other side can see your sensors, they won't be sensors for much longer.

Land mines? You could fire thunder LRMs while you are setting sensors down, I suppose. Not sure how that is a munchy feature.
ghostrider
02/09/15 12:57 AM

Thought of something like trying to find it, or having them find out the hard way by having their comms and such get jammed. Finding and using it could be an action itself, like causing the unit looking to miss it's fire phase.
Yes it would be easier to move out of the jammed area.

Land mines, I had more of an idea of using emps, not just conventional. Though dropping one while you have someone chasing you would really screw up their day, like causing them to fall when running after you.

Now defenders have the option to place remote scanners and such, but the attacker doesn't have any. These ideas might make a recon run in a campaign more playable. It could also allow more flexibility as well. Dropping a sensor that would allow lrm units to use it for idf might make it more workable and less static for units that have a great position, since it would not open up a unit to sight for more time then to drop the sensor.

This is more to see if it would be worth trying to come up with rules for something like this. That is IF it is worth looking into.

And if you are wondering, I think there are portable ecm units in the 2750 tro. At least the older ones had it. They may have pulled them out of the newer versions.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3735

Contact Admins Sarna.net