initiative

Pages: 1
wolf_lord_30
02/19/15 06:54 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I recently played a game where my opponent would almost always disengage from the fight if he lost initiative. Now I understand there are times where that is a viable option and a good tactic. But it gets annoying when you are forced to chase them down because they won't even attempt to just maneuver a little differently and fight. In the end,I lost because he got a lucky shot on one of my faster mechs head, destroying it, and my charger lacked the range to effectively track a jumper around mountains. My last mech was a fast jumper but every time I tried to close the gap, he would run away if he lost initiative. He wouldn't even get close to the crippled mech if he lost initiative. So I got so sick of it, that I just charged forward until I was eventually shot to pieces. If I had jumped away like him,we never would have shot at each other. The game lasted 30 turns and took over 4 hours to complete. It was only a bv of 2800.

Has anyone else has trouble with this and what's the best way to deal with it and turn their cowardice against them?
ghostrider
02/20/15 02:30 AM

Hate to say it, but the only way you can counter it is do the same thing. After a while the game gets so boring, because the only way you get to shoot anything is snipers and pot shots. Or so the games I have played went. But then that is why we favored the heavy and assault fights. Not like you can get away once you are in range it a relatively open terrain map.

It may be, you will have to focus on luring one of their mechs into a trap that even if they lose initiative, they will still lose the mech without back up. Hard as hell sometimes, but then you could just make an agreement before the game. Only time you can pull back is if you have x damage or internal damage. Then the unit that pulls back must leave the field without firing another shot.
That is one advantage to arena style fighting. It limits some options.
wolf_lord_30
02/20/15 09:05 AM

That's true. It was just frustrating to me, I had the advantage and was well on my way to winning. Then he pulled that stunt. I think what was more annoying though, was the fact that his other mech which was undamaged, would not move forward to help his other unit out and he did not try to draw me in into the range of that mech. If he had been retreating back to his line and firing full on with his Vulcan, that is a valid tactic. If I can't catch up to a mech, he shouldn't charge at it, that's stupid. But to not draw me in, was so boring. I went after the other one on my own free will just to stop chasing the other one around the board. We went around 3 different edges.
You're right about playing the same. But then in my mind, it is just a game that needs to end, I am not one for playing a waiting game. Especially when it take s them a good couple of minutes to figure out a move.
Oh and I tried to lure him in. Exposed the back of my heavier mech first and then the light mech, he would still retreat if he lost initiative.
I guess what you're saying though, is against this type of opponent, if you don't have ranged fire, you're going to be in for one long game.
At the end of the day, though, it is still a game, let it go. And venting is a way to let it go.
ghostrider
02/20/15 09:29 AM

yeah it sucks when you want to play, and someone else wants to have you roll over and die.
I do suggest that you make up some guilde lines if you play them again. Tell him no stalling missions allowed. This is not a campaign where they are trying to keep forces from reaching another battle.

Hell I've seen a few times where losing the initiative turns out to be a good thing. Move a mech into cover the enemy wanted dead, and he positioned one of his long range mechs into a spot I was able to concentrate on it.

Hopefully you won't have to deal with that again.
CrayModerator
02/20/15 11:05 AM

I had that done to me when I played with a 3/5 100-ton 'Mech and the opponent played with a pulse-armed LAM. There was nothing I COULD do in the situation. I had a blank spot in my firing arcs and mostly BFGs, so I only had a few guns to fire per turn when I did have a shot. But with a LAM, he was jumping 15 hexes per turn: my to-hit numbers were crazy when I had a shot and if I lost the initiative, he jumped away behind one of several hills on the map. Obviously, I could never catch him. My ultimate 'Mech was gutted by a little, lightly-armed punk that wouldn't stand still and fight like a real MechWarrior. Very smart of him, I had two Gauss Rifles and a UAC/20 waiting to obliterate him.

My solutions have been several-fold:

1) If possible, at least have some weapons on both arms so you can always get at least one set of weapons aimed into your rear arc (without wasting tonnage on actual rear arc weapons)

2) Carry more weapons, if possible. Medium laser spam is a dull weapons choice from a player's perspective, but very effective and gives you a lot of chances to hit nimble little punks

3) If possible, avoid very slow 'Mechs compared to what your opponent is bringing. This is harder in campaign play where you're stuck with certain 'Mechs. But if the other guy has a 6/9 'Mech, rethink your 2/3 or 3/5 'Mech. This is a really terrain-dependent decision. Speed doesn't matter so much in open terrain where there's no place to hide.

4) If possible, bring multiple 'Mechs and use them in wingman/lance arrangements. It only takes a second 'Mech to cover your rear or help flush opponents out of cover.

And like Ghostrider said, two can play at that game (unless you're really slow compared to the other guy). You can always back up into serious cover, too. And there are weapons that work well from cover, like LRMs.

Note all of the above are "if possible." There's no hard and fast tricks to stop this tactic if your 'Mech can't counter it.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5072

Contact Admins Sarna.net