changes from time

Pages: 1
ghostrider
02/23/15 03:33 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Cray's response in one of the threads got me thinking about just how much has changed in real life since the first printing of the game.

Something simple like drones. I don't think anyone outside the military really put much thought into putting missile launchers on a 'radio' controlled hobby air plane. I know the military ones are more then that, but the thought of it makes me think about why some of the things don't seem to work as well as they could anymore.

Also makes me think how much could be done with the game, though I believe it would change everything about the game. As cray pointed out, an invader would be blown to hell just having the drop ships sitting around. All things would have to be fast load shuttles or able to fly high enough to be picked up while moving.
His_Most_Royal_Highass_Donkey
02/23/15 09:04 AM

Realistically a planet cant be invaded with out using weapons of mass destruction. There is just no way to be able to transport enough troops to be able to capture an entire planet. Look at WW2 the war was mostly fought on the two ends of one continent and that had tens of millions troops. It would take billions of troops and take decades if not centuries to capture the earth taking all six continents from the defenders.
Why argue if the glass is half full or half empty, when you know someone is going to knock it over and spill it anyways.

I was a Major *pain* before
But I got a promotion.
I am now a General *pain*
Yay for promotions!!!
wolf_lord_30
02/23/15 11:04 AM

That's the beauty of battletech. With mechs, almost anything is possible. Reality was left behind we could enjoy a great game
Akalabeth
02/23/15 02:35 PM

Quote:
ghostrider writes:

Cray's response in one of the threads got me thinking about just how much has changed in real life since the first printing of the game.

Something simple like drones. I don't think anyone outside the military really put much thought into putting missile launchers on a 'radio' controlled hobby air plane. I know the military ones are more then that, but the thought of it makes me think about why some of the things don't seem to work as well as they could anymore.

Don't know about the first printing, but:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hi-Scout

Also the game remember was originally called Battledroids. Droids being short for Android or autonomous robots.

Also other books, like the Bolo series by Keith Laumer (1976) may have included reconnaissance drones being used in conjunction with the Bolos (AI super tanks). I know a book by Weber I read later on had the Bolos using drones but I've not read the originals. Bolo itself arguably gave birth to Steve Jackson's Ogre game.
ghostrider
02/23/15 04:43 PM

There were recon drones in alot of things, but how many of the old ones had some sort of projectile weapons and not exploded themselves?

Plus the drones were an example. The Hi-scout was in the original printing of the vehicle tro. They were sensor drones. Not a mobile weapons platform.
And with some exceptions, the focus is on the game.
Technically, star trek had an episode that used a drone to bring the enterprise to an alien for first contact.
Akalabeth
02/23/15 06:18 PM

The Doomsday machine from Star Trek is a drone (autonomous).

I know an early battletech comic I have features a drone battlemech designed for melee. Though of course it's non-canon.

The Star League used drone defence vessels but I don't know when this concept was introduced.
ghostrider
02/23/15 09:32 PM

I was thinking of where the short alien had the small ship he used to control the larger then the enterprise one and had the scary alien robot great people so they wouldn't think him easy to deal with. But the doomsday machine is a good example. Larger then what I was thinking, but it is still a drone..
Akalabeth
02/23/15 09:38 PM

Yes The Corbomite Maneuver, though in that episode they described the objet as a "buoy".

Dune (1965) also features an assassination drone of sorts. Though again, autonomous.
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 169 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4655

Contact Admins Sarna.net