Redemption of large-bore Rotary Autocannons

Pages: 1
CarcerKango
04/01/15 09:53 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Had an interesting idea based on a discussion a while back of Rotary guns larger than a -/5. I realized that while they were clearly too impractical to put on a 'Mech or vee...What if you put them on a fortress?
Ammunition's not as much of a problem since you can store much, MUCH more in a building than you can in the relatively limited confines of a BattleMech or tank. Heat isn't a problem because I don't think building weaps generate any heat. Tonnage isn't very limiting considering how big buildings are. Crit space, same thing.
So what I'm saying here is, has anyone else considered the feasibility of the application of large-bore rotary guns in static defense? Seems like it'd be the ultimate area denial weapon to me...Of course, it'd quickly become a priority target for long-range fire, but that's why you'd supplement it with a battery of longer-ranged, lighter cannons or missile racks for backup.
Just an interesting thought. Maybe rotary ac/10's and /20's aren't as useless/broken as they sound. Especially if they were limited to building or Dropship mounts....
ghostrider
04/01/15 02:36 PM

That would give defending forces a chance to repel advancing units.
This is similar to people wanting to put a long tom artillery piece on a mech. It looks like if it won't fit on a mech, they don't want it in the game.
Warships seemed to have been sidelined because they do have items that can't be carried by a mech. And yes, having it so a ground force doesn't reach the ground tends to kill a game based on ground combat is a fast way to kill your profits..

And honestly, why would it be impractical to put the rotary 10/20 on a vehicle? Granted it would not have alot of weight for ammo and such, but it would still be useful guarding instillations. Pop up, fire, back into shaft.
Honestly, pillboxes would be awesome for the larger rotaries. Set up so you HAVE to be in their range in order to hit them. Yeah, some would say artillery.

Simply put, a pair of the 20s inside the door to a factory that you want to keep in tact would be a horrible surprise.
wolf_lord_30
04/01/15 06:02 PM

I wouldn't be against the idea. Would be kind of fun to see if your can break the defenders from their entrenched position.
Personally, I'd send my scouts in first, as they would get shot to shreds and retreat, but they would find out where the building was at that housed the rotary autocannons,I would then send in the assault and heavies to punish the building, leaving what remained of the scouts to protect the flanks of the assaulting force.
Sounds like it could be some good fun.
You should see if you could do that in MegaMek then look me up, I'd be willing to try to assault it.
Retry
04/01/15 06:11 PM

They're impractical on mechs in the same way artillery is impractical on mechs, in that they're crit consuming and very heat intensive. Vehicles can mount Improved Heavy Gauss Rifles that weigh 19 tons(although not on a turret) , so in that regards it's unlikely that a theoretical RAC/10 or RAC/20 wouldn't fit on a tank. I bet I could fit a RAC/10 with a decent ammo supply on a hovercraft if I tried REALLY hard.

In fact, the potential of a tank mounted with either a RAC/10 or RAC/20 (especially clan models) is one contributing factor to why they don't get to exist. No other standard vehicle-scale weapon is able to deal 120 points of death in a single turn. And if you're a vee, you don't have to sink any of the feasible 36 or 42 or even 48 points of heat from firing the RAC/20 full auto.

Add in the ability to install these babies on large conventional fighters, where range isn't an issue in ground strike. Stealth armored, fusion engined, RAC/20 Mechbuster? Someone's going to be crying by the end of the game. Even a RAC/10 variant would be more devastating than any current 'Mechbuster variant available.

When considering rotaries, I don't think "useless" is the first word that comes to mind when considering theoretical RAC/10s and RAC/20s. But are they as "broken" as they sound? Try "The End of Big Mechs as We Know Them."
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4006

Contact Admins Sarna.net