Would you ask to receive the shots?

Pages: 1
ErichRaulfestone
10/26/01 03:44 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Stockpiles of the anthrax vaccine cannot now be used because the Food and Drug Administration has not
certified the plant of the sole manufacturer, BioPort Corp. If that vaccine were made available anyway - on a voluntary basis - would you ask to receive the shots?

God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before!
The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted.

--unknown
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8

......and I went......
SoyBigHead
10/26/01 03:50 PM

you receive them over a course of 18 months, then you need boosters so often it becomes impractible. I figure that if i got it, id just have to get detected early enough for the antibiotics to kill it; anthrax is NOT that good at killing you if they detect it ASAP... what vaccine they need to start out again is smallpox.

"no one, ever has the time, to listen to me, see right thru me, this is getting hard to face no one ever sees me fall, and no one cares at all, this will only make you strong" River City High, "No One Cares"
"There are three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."
-Mark Twain
ErichRaulfestone
10/26/01 03:54 PM

I agree 100%. Nerve agent or something simular would have been deadlier.

God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before!
The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted.

--unknown
Erich Raulfestone

Rangers, Lead the Way!
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
Isaiah 6:8

......and I went......
CrayModerator
10/26/01 03:57 PM

Depends:

Right now, no. I'm not worried enough about the anthrax threat. Right now, I'm more likely to be killed by lightning than I am to die of anthrax.

And, considering how lethal anthrax does not seem to be, I think I'll stick to antibiotics. SoyBigHead made a great point about the vaccine's injection schedule.

OTOH, If I was in the US military and had to get the vaccine, I certainly wouldn't protest. It only seems to be a few, rare women who develop serious reactions to it (autoimmune disorders). Not being female, the odds are in my favor.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Black_Phoenix
10/26/01 04:07 PM

I've heard that even if they find it too late there is still a slim (10-15%) chance of survival. While it may not seem to be much, it is better than the alternitive.

*There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved by a suitable application of Diplomacy, Compromise, and High Explosives or Tactical Nuclear Strikes.*
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

CrayModerator
10/26/01 05:25 PM

I saw some figures...IIRC...that indicated untreated anthrax victims have a 70-80% survival rate, for the skin form anyway. Probably something easy enough to look up on the web. I did (but don't recall now), while refuting a claim on an ABCNEWS forum who claimed that anthrax cases (prior to Sept 11th) were more common in the US than tetanus...but which did the government vaccinate you for???? Idiot.

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
Cypher41
10/27/01 03:29 AM

No. The media has over hyped this particular story and it does not effect me in the least. The targets of the anthrax are media outlets and government offices and political leaders, none of whom I work for or have even the remotest of contact with. When the death toll reaches a thousand, talk to me. Until then, it just doesn't matter to me.

Right now , the American media and many of our citizens are falling onto the trap that the terroirst have set, they have the populace shaking in fear and in doing this they have already won the battle, no matter that we may win the war or not.

Galaxy Commander Barak Marghar
Clan Burrock
Delta Galaxy
Mech: Summoner D
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4042

Contact Admins Sarna.net