terror threats.

Pages: 1
ghostrider
12/26/15 06:58 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Are we going to have issues now that news feeds are using IS to name the terror group in the middle east?

I know we use it for abbreviating the innersphere, but they do have software that looks for specific words. And I know a few were used on the boards to describe some of the scenarios for the game.

Just thought I would remind (?) people of a potential issue.
Karagin
12/27/15 01:48 AM

You forgot the second set of IS in the name. Since most don't just use IS to refer to the idiots.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
ghostrider
12/27/15 12:29 PM

The newer news articles are starting to use the shorter initials. That is why the thought came to mind.
I use yahoo as a search engine, so it might just be their articles. Not sure.

I know the group that is being assholes is ISIS or ISIL.
I would prefer not to have homeland security or the FBI/CIA show up asking about something simple like discussing a game.
Karagin
12/28/15 12:04 AM

IF they showed up, which I doubt, they would not be sure what this place is really about. As of the other idiots, yeah it's the search engine you are using.
Karagin

DavidG
01/02/16 08:08 PM

Ghostrider is not far off in his worries. Back in 1990, the US Secret Service raided Steve Jackson Games because they were researching information for GURPS Cyberpunk. Here's the info about it: SJ Games vs. the Secret Service
Karagin
01/03/16 03:42 AM

And just like Steve Jackson, we could use the PR as a good way to show the site is still alive and well...
Karagin

BrokenMnemonic
01/09/16 07:10 AM

It's unlikely that this site would be flagged on searches looking for terror threats or links to Daesh. The problem with any kind of broad-spectrum sniffing for key terms is the sheer volume of hits that arise given the size of the internet and the amount of data in it. It's orders of magnitude more likely that the site would come under investigation as a result of investigations into individuals - we're much more likely to come under scrutiny if a site user is considered to be someone with links to an illegal organization or is believed to be engaged in illegal activity and is the subject of a targeted investigation.

If you're worried, consider this; the term "Jihad" has been extensively used in association with BattleTech and on this site/forum, and we haven't had any issues that I'm aware of.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5828

Contact Admins Sarna.net