initial thoughts on things when game first came out

Pages: 1
ghostrider
02/19/16 12:47 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
When the game first came out, I was under the impression mechs came with the 10 free sinks as that is what was required to keep the reactor cool during peak operations, kind of like why vehicles need sinks to use energy weapons.
The critical damage of first engine spot hit creating 5 points of heat, made it sound like the first engine layer contained 5 sinks while the second layer contained the other 5 sinks free with the engine.
I know that sounds rediculous now, seeing as something like the warhammer would melt in a couple of rounds if that were true, but it had occured to me.

The same concept with the weapons on drop ships was the same thing. It sounded like they were like capital weapons that could hit mechs at mech ranges. It may have been one of the scenarios in the mckinnons raiders pack that promoted that.

I was wondering if anyone had some initial ideas like this or maybe others?
Akirapryde2006
02/29/16 02:04 PM

Actually there is a formula that tells you how many heat sinks can be placed in the fusion engine. I don't recall the formula off the top of my head, but I know its out there.

This would change your idea of layers of heat sinks around the engine.

Its my understanding that the heat generated from a engine hit comes from the loss of engine shielding, not loss of heat sinks.

Only Warships (to my understanding) have to employ a zero heat index. Meaning that they must dissipate all the possible heat the ship can generate. Though I can't understand why when you are talking about combat in an environment where the ambient temperature is minus 455 degrees Fahrenheit! Mechs get a bonus in heat dissipation when the ambient temperature drops below zero. Why doesn't warships get the same benefit?
ghostrider
02/29/16 04:27 PM

Vehicles are the other with energy weapons. There is NO heat build up allowed.

But the idea that half of the sinks the engine hides to be removed from play as the first 2 layers of shielding is damaged is an interesting idea. This would change the heat generated/dissipated per turn. It would change combat as we know it now, if you removed the sinks as well as the heat built up.
I know the heat is from loss of containment, not the loss of sinks, but when we first started playing in the 80's that is the way the group looked at it.
Then again, back then, the idea of combats under one mile was more accepted then it is today. Drones were just a thing on the drawing board as well as things like the rail gun.

With the space sinks verse atmospheric sinks, it is my understanding that the function very differently, but with this, I don't see how one could work in the other environment. First thing is the length of the round changes from 10 seconds to 1 minute in space. The second is there is no air to pass over sinks in space, so the cooling effect is completely different from an atmosphere, though they did not alter this when fighting in a void for mechs. (missed concept?)

I don't remember the full concept anymore, but I do remember seeing something about it with the heating/cooling of space stations. In the sun, you heat up while in the shade you cool. That is part of why the 'fins' on the space station turn. To warm up the station you turn the dark portion into the light of the star, while cooling you turn it perpendicular to the sunlight. You run into issues if in a multiple star system, but we haven't dealt with that here in the sol system yet.
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 3336

Contact Admins Sarna.net