TRO: 3150 - What do you guys think?

Pages: 1
Wrangler
07/22/15 11:11 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I've purchased TRO:3150, i have the older 3145 books and all the XTROs, Era Digests that include all these mechs.

I wanted to resist and just wait for the printed version to come out, but i got it anyways.

I somewhat wanted it so i won't need have use computer to read the other mechs in the pdfs, due to my eye strain. I some what regret getting it, but it has some interesting stuff in it.

What do you guys/gals think of the book if you gotten it?
When it hits the fan, make sure your locked, loaded, and ready to go!
Karagin
07/25/15 12:27 AM

It is a repeat of the XTROs that came out recently, nothing more. Not really sure about the hype and for those who didn't buy the XTRO pdf products then yeah it's a new set of mechs etc, but the format was different from ALL of the other TROs and it seemed to be a jumble o things slapped together to get it out in time for GenCon etc...I am really starting to wonder if the CGL and Palladium Books have the same marketing manager.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
happyguy49
07/25/15 09:50 PM

Yep... NO new machines? I am dissapoint.

For the next TRO, how about two superheavies per IS house (clans dont use them, multiple pilots are a no-no honorwise). Lets also have some new weird stuff, like a few sub-100 ton tripods, some WiGEs, a new jump-hover tank, a quad-vee that somehow justifies the concept, some power armor with Heavy Lasers! Imagine a point of assault armor where each suit has an Improved Heavy Medium. 50 points damage possible from a battle armor unit. Maybe the Inner Sphere's first couple of Protomech designs. A couple Bug Eye sized post-Blackout purpose-built pony express Jumpships, with lithium fusion batteries for rapid communications dissemination. The first new Warship in forever. I can dream.
TigerShark
07/27/15 01:29 PM

I've made a cursory read through the thing and it's just the same stuff I bought in the XTROs for this era, with a few little updates thrown in here and there.

I feel cheated, for the most part. And this will be the last Catalyst product I buy.

And am I correct in how Interstellar Ops is being published? $10 for the Beta, then after errata is compiled, another $10?
Akalabeth
02/18/16 10:12 PM

Haven't picked it up yet, but I will soon. I don't really buy many battletech books anymore, just mostly historicals and TROs and though I haven't really read the last few TROs I'll end up getting this on sale in a little while. Still collect it for some reason.

I do feel a bit sorry for the dudes who picked up the faction-specific 3145 TROs. It's pretty apparent to me that it should have just been two print books from the outset, just seemed like a cash grab and not one that they'll be able to get away with a second time. At the time I picked up the Republic because I wanted rules for the tripods but surprise surprise, they weren't there and not only that but the Republic TRO was the one extra TRO which had no unique units. Thankfully I got a refund from DriveThruRPG then spent my money somewhere else instead.

I find that a lot of companies are just trying to resell bits and bobs in different electronic packages. Another company recently released a new edition of their game which included a how to play tutorial. And then they went and rebundled that tutorial with a few record sheets and sold it for 5 dollars as an "introductory set". But the tutorial itself wasn't even re-written, so the text was such that it expected you to have knowledge of the base game. Not sure CGL has done anything as egregious but, it's kind of a product of the times at least in my experience.
ghostrider
02/19/16 03:38 AM

Something you risk that with companies. For some, the difficulty of coming up with something new isn't as easy as you would think, while others tend to get writers block. Some issues is when they release things in other books like mechs in the adventure packs, and it gets referred to in other books. The devastator was one of those mechs. It was in macarrons armored cavalry when it first came out. The reprinted in other books.

I would think a warning should be on some books saying variants of existing units. And no, this is not just about battletech. More then a few rpgs seem to run into issues like that. Some of the original information for Dungeons and Dragons did that. The original greyhawk characters were in the heros guild book if I recall right, and then redone to match the upgrades to the game. A few new things were thrown in to make it look like it was all new, but when you get older materials you wonder about it.

And a few times I have seen them come up with something new, but don't have enough to make it worth printing, like the 20 year update, or the 2 fourth succession wars books. They are not worth the price of a book like the house books or mechwarrior, but yet how do you make it worth even half that. Since this is battle tech related, I am using the material some know. This is also true of other games, including computer games.
I would love to get some of the older games that were fun, but to code it to new graphics and such, do you stick with the same old thing or upgrade it hoping people will ike the newer version? No matter what, someone isn't going to like it. Sadly, alot of companies don't care if you like it, just as long as you buy it.

People complain about gamestop not buying back things xbox and ps games for full price, yet most of those people don't know you don't get money back for pc games if not returned. No resales of them happens.
Karagin
02/19/16 07:41 AM

They could do a lot of things different and keep folks more inclined to by the products. Then again they could also truly listen to the fan base as well. I get it folks get writers block and some times great ideas fall apart, but it also seems that they rush to give us cool stuff and then just stop or they take what was once a couple of books for rules and turn them in to these monster books that are on the same level as D&D and their endless rules books.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Akalabeth
02/19/16 01:57 PM

Yeah my favourite thing about the new products is how what was once 7 pages of construction rules in the 2nd edition rulebook has now 'blossomed' into a 352-page Techmanual. I wish they got a little more writers block on that one.

They have listened to the fans in some cases, like the boxed plastic lances or the boxed game or even 3150 I feel is something I wanted 3 years ago when all those faction specific TROs came out. But again, 3 years later. Companies should probably anticipate what the consumer will want, not the other way around.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 5734

Contact Admins Sarna.net