Fan-TRO 3145 Lyran Commonwealth Supplemental

Pages: 1
Fenris_LC
10/22/14 08:54 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd share some stuff of mine to fill the void left by the ongoing Catalyst hiatus.

Over the past few months, I continually worked on an updated and extended edition of my original Fan-TRO 3145 LyrCom Supplemental (maybe you've come across it one way or another), with updated fluff and stats, many new NTNU style entries and of course also new units altogether, artworks by Rudy Valle and Matt Plog, record sheets and MegaMek and corresponding .gif-files (at least for most the main new units of the TRO) included.

I hope you can enjoy my Supplemental for reading, gaming or whatever.

Critique is welcome and encouraged, although please refrain from mentioning that it is all in reversed order. It was an intentional and deliberate decision back then and reverting it to go along the traditional Catalyst way of doing things would have been way too stressful. Hope you can enjoy it nonetheless.
In case you find any errors, also don't hesitate to mention them as I could only check that much myself.

On a side note, many of the Record Sheets for the new Omni configs section are still missing. I was getting sick of doing Record Sheets, but I will most likely add them later (aka in a few weeks or months).

That's it on my behalf. You can find the Download-Link in my signature

Edited by Fenris_LC (10/22/14 08:55 AM)
skiltao
10/24/14 05:22 PM

I like battlesuits getting moved to after the 'Mechs. (You really like the 100-ton weight class, huh? :-D)

The intro on page 2 is difficult enough to read (blurry font, low-contrast color) that I simply skipped it.

I wish you had found a way to fit each unit into a two-page spread. I also wish the equipment lists were sorted differently - I don't even read them anymore, I instead go back to the "Armament" list. (I do this with Catalyst writeups too, ever since IJJs came out.)

The KGC-009b should have its structure corrected to 5.0 tons, and each LB-X autocannon corrected to 11.0 tons.

I am impressed with the writing. It's not as dry as you often see. For my taste, there's too much talk about the design teams and not enough about how the units fit into regimental warfare, but that's a matter of taste and the units are new enough that it makes sense.
Fenris_LC
10/25/14 04:55 PM

Thanks for the extensive feedback

Yes, I like 100 ton mechs, I'm mostly Lyran after all when it comes to BT

The decision to have the NTNU entries on a single page was intentional to avoid too many pages overall, spare me writing even more fluff (believe me, after a while it actually isn't that much fun anymore) and also an almost blank second page respectively (except for the unit stats) because of the missing art (if I had commissioned art for the NTNU units too, I'd be a poor sob ) would have looked odd.

TBH, I'm not exactly perfectly fine with the way the equipment list is done myself, but then that is the exact same structure Catalyst uses. So...

thanks, will correct the KGC-009b (together with two minor hick-ups in the New Omni configs section I spotted) and incorporate the changes into the "final" version once I find enough motivation to do the remaining Omni config record sheets.
Just to avoid confusion, besides the wrong values, the KGC-009b is otherwise a valid unit.

And yeah, see... I never liked the change in write-up from the previous TROs to the TRO 3145 series. Although at least with the really new units, I incorporated a "Battle History" section which basically fills that void and pay tribute to that change.

btw, I hope there haven't been too many oddities with the writing. I'm not a native speaker, although I tried my best.

Edited by Fenris_LC (10/25/14 05:09 PM)
skiltao
10/25/14 06:24 PM

You're welcome!

I don't mean the NTNU entries, those are a fine size. I mean that I wish the Yggdrasil, Nibelung, Terror, Managarm, Eisenblitz and Rheingold had been shrunk down to two pages each. (I don't need full stat blocks for each variant. Maybe something like your Old Omni is the New Omni section could've fit.)

I'm not familiar with the 3145 series. How did those write-ups change from previous TROs? Still, if you're not 100% happy with Catalyst's format, there's no reason you can't improve on it. If you're open to a very minor change, I suggest reformatting the Cwn Annyn equipment list like so:

[I'm having trouble with the UBB code, so you'll have to imagine these line up in the correct columns]

Standard Detachable Weapon Pack (109 BV)
2 Medium Laser (30x2) Body 2 750 kg
Medium Recoilless Rifle (20) Body 1 190 kg

Shredder Detachable Weapon Pack (74 BV)
2 Heavy Recoilless Rifle (20x2) Body 2 490 kg
2 King David Lt. Gauss Rifle (20x2) Body 2 420 kg

LB-X Advanced Detachable Weapon Pack (75 BV)
2 BA LB-X AC (10x3)(C) Body 3 900 kg
Light Tag (60) Body 1 30 kg

...and I likewise suggest rewriting the Gotterdammerung's handheld listings like so:

Handheld LB-X (237 BV) 15 tons
LB-10X AC 11
Ammo (LB-X) 30 3
Armor Factor (16 points) 1

The writing has some minor oddities (ones I also see from many native speakers):
-Ymir "also allows to fire" should read "also allows it to fire"
-Ymir "way to effective" should read "way too effective"
-Gotterdammerung "Contrary to the Axman" should read "Unlike the Axman"
-Fensalir "getting hit all to easily" should read "getting hit all too easily
-Fenrir "visa versa" should read "vice versa"
-Cuchulainn Support Armor "to slow" should read "too slow"
-Gray Death Space Marine "to bland" should read "too bland"
-Gray Death Space Marine "considered enough" should read "considerate enough"
-and Ares Mark X "where thoroughly analyzed" should read "were thoroughly analyzed."

I'd never have guessed you weren't a native speaker! There's only two real oddities:
-Eisenblitz mounts "the most prolific Lyran weapon system of all: an Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle." --I don't think "prolific" is the word you want there. "Prolific" would mean something like it's the most produced, most common, or most widely distributed--none of which is true of the Heavy Gauss.
-Gray Death Space Marine is accompanied by "marine recruits" --it sounds like untrained recruits are being sent on high-risk combat missions.

Finally, a rules question... can heavy battlesuits be used inside a WarShip? I thought marines had a size limit. (I don't know the new aerotech stuff well, and I could easily be wrong.)
Fenris_LC
10/25/14 08:35 PM

Wow, this is really great. Thank you! Will rectify those errors in the coming release as well.

Your suggestions concerning the reformatting (handheld and Cwn Awnn) definitely make sense, however I was merely following the layout standard established by Catalyst in TRO 3090 and 3145. To keep it as "authentic" as possible, I decided to follow their example back then (except for the general order of the units, where I opted for an reversed order of things).

Concerning the Space Marine suit... well, I never ever heard of that rule, and I must say, if there were such a rule, then that would truly suck donkey balls
However, TO shows the marine point value of heavy and assault suits, so I assume it would work in theory. I guess such possible restriction may have originated from the fluff of the Aerie. But I will quick-search StraOps just to be safe.

edit: Nope, nothing came up in StratOps nor in TO. Phew...

As for the fluff content, before 3145 the main focus of each unit was usually on the design process and technical stuff, whereas later they opted to limit that as much as possible while focusing on battle history and notable pilots instead.

Edited by Fenris_LC (10/25/14 09:05 PM)
Fenris_LC
05/06/15 09:23 AM

Good day to you all, long time no see.

Just wanted to share the final version of my Fan-TRO 3145 Lyran Commonwealth Supplemental.

It contains some minor fixes in fluff, stats and record sheets, a few adjustments that were necessary due to XTRO Republic, still no record sheets for the the omni configs for canon mechs that came with the original extended edition (and there never will be, I'm afraid as I just don't have the time and motivation to do 'em), and a new unit. Yes, you read that right, I added the final piece to this TRO, again with great artwork from Matt Plog.

Hope, you enjoy it.

Go forth now and download your own copy
http://www.mediafire.com/download/12jaov...ended_final.zip

Oh, almost forgot, a special thanks to Skiltao and Gray Jaguar for their help.

Any feedback is most welcome of course.
Fenris_LC
11/10/15 11:31 AM

Good day, everyone.

Let me present you with the REVISED edition of my Fan-TRO, or rather the Beta version of the Revised edition.

Since this is a Beta, I would like to encourage you to give as much feedback as possible, especially concerning any grammar or spelling mistakes as well as stat errors.

Why a Beta at all? Because I still have to do the Record Sheets of all new units and change a few old Record Sheets. Since that takes time, and I currently don't have too much of that available (plus it is very tedious and boring work), I can't really say at what point exactly I'll have everything ready to release the "final" Revised edition (and this time, it is definitely going to be the "final" edition).

Anyways, happy reading

https://www.mediafire.com/?xz60mstt48z42q9

Edited by Fenris_LC (11/10/15 12:44 PM)
Fenris_LC
04/25/16 02:47 PM

Good day, everyone.

I would like to share with you the REVISED and this time definitely *final* edition of my nearly three year old Fan-TRO 3150 Lyran Commonwealth Supplemental, which you can download with at mediafire with the link below.

What I changed for the Revised Edition:
-'hopefully' fixed all errors and glitches in the fluff texts, stats and previous Record Sheets
-Record Sheets are back
-included a new *hidden* unit design with yet another artwork by the awesome Matt Plog
-changed a few unit stats
-reworked the layout a bit
-new TRO cover

WARNING: This TRO is still very 'Lyran' and also contains almost exclusively what most people would describe as 'min-maxed designs', except for the BV I guess. If you thoroughly despise either of the two or maybe even both, no matter the corresponding fluff, chances are you will not be very happy with the TRO. In that case, I'm truly sorry, but it's just the way I design BT stuff.
Also, I did my best to get rid of any language-related errors, but I cannot be 100% certain as, sadly, I'm still no native speaker :P, so please forgive any language-related oddities you may still come across.

Anyways, I sincerely hope people can enjoy the TRO nonetheless, even after all this time. Happy reading

https://www.mediafire.com/?80lm2c9qexapfu3
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6757

Contact Admins Sarna.net