Custom Weapon: Multifrequency Laser

Pages: 1
AmaroqStarwind
04/19/18 11:22 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
When I was younger, I used to play EVE Online, and one thing I remember very fondly was the way energy weapons worked in that game, and the sheer abundance of ammunition types for different weapons. Though lasers didn't have any ammunition per se, they did have Frequency Crystals, with a variety of different effects. For example, Microwave increased the electromagnetic damage output of the laser and would also cause the target to suffer electromagnetic interference. X-Ray had good penetration characteristics, but a shorter range. Infrared caused a lot of Thermal damage. Radio had the longest range, but caused the least damage, etc.

One thing that I also remember very well, though, was the Multifrequency Crystal, which was actually an advanced metamaterial and microelectronic system that would rapidly cycle across the entire Electromagnetic Spectrum in just a fraction of a second, providing a mix of good range and good damage...

I decided to replicate that idea in the form of a BattleTech weapon. I don't have any stats yet, but I do have a general concept:

Multifrequency Lasers have a high heat output, and a very long range. They do the most damage at short range, but though they lose most of their punch at extreme ranges, they can still cause some unpleasant effects in the target. Here's a brief overview of some of the spectra that will be cycled through, and what their effects are. Keep in mind that all of these effects will come into play at once, as the cycling happens in a fraction of a second, and a turn lasts ten seconds.
X-Ray: Short Range, but acts like a Tandem Charge SRM, an Armor Piercing Autocannon or a Re-engineered Laser.
Gamma: High heat output, decent range and damage.
Infrared: Heat Inducing characteristics, can also act as a makeshift Target Acquisition Gear.
Microwave/Radio: Long range in atmosphere, but poor damage and penetration. The target will suffer electromagnetic interference as if they were hit by an ECM.
Ultraviolet: Has minimal effect against armor, but can cause exposed myomers to swell up or even ignite.
Vsible: Eliminates the To-Hit penalties from nighttime and dusk/dawn combat, not just for the firer of the weapon, but also for their enemies firing back.
Terahertz Radiation: Does something. I will need to research this further...

Let me know what you guys think of the idea!
Discord: Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
Telegram: @Lycanphoenix
MechEngine (Alpha) -- On Hiatus

The Scientist Caste has determined that time travel is dishonorable.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 2456

Contact Admins Sarna.net