1 Clan Ultra AC/20
1 Clan LRM-20
1 Clan Streak SRM-6
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Primary Manufacturer: Clan Wolf
Primary Factory: Unknown

OVERVIEW

Piloted by Aaron DeChevalier, and later Nicholas Kerensky himself, the Atlas holds a special place in the hearts of Clan Wolf warriors, who see the 'Mech as another of their close links to the Great Kerenskys. For long years, the hallowed 'Mech remained in Brian Caches, exhibits for Clan Wolf Warriors to visit and meditate upon. In recent times, however, Clan Wolf’s dire shortage of 'Mechs has forced the Atlas out of the display cabinet and onto the field.

CAPABILITIES

Clan Technicians were directed to spare no expense when they upgraded the Atlas with Clan technology. As well as being a showpiece of Clan Wolf pride, the 'Mech had to be a potent weapon. Thus it was, with considerable trepidation, that Clan Wolf technicians began to upgrade the 'Mech.

The much lighter Endo Steel favoured by the Clans replaced the Atlas’ old endoskeleton. The massive Auto Cannon was replaced with a more powerful Ultra variant, and the SRM pack was replaced with a Streak launcher. Both weapons received an additional ton of ammunition. The LRM rack was stripped out for the much more advanced Clan system and provided with an Artemis guidance system. Finally, the back-mounted Medium lasers were replaced with Clan ER Medium Lasers.

It was at that point the design team was bogged down, because the arm-mounted Medium Lasers needed to be replaced with newer weapons. The designers could not decide whether to increase the number of medium lasers mounted in the arms, perhaps switching to Pulsed variants, or whether to install a more powerful long-range system. Eventually, the design team consulted with Khan Vladimir Ward and Loremaster Katya Kerensky, who decided that the 'Mech should have its long-range punch increased. PPCs eventually won the argument, but sadly necessitated the removal of one of the Atlas’ venerable hands to make room for the large weapons.

This loadout makes the Atlas IIC a nightmare to face no matter the range. The extra heat sinks mounted on the chassis allow the Atlas IIC’s pilot to use his PPCs and LRMs simultaneously if remaining stationary, and up close the pilot can use the LRM, SRM and double-rate the Auto Cannon without heat worries, producing the kind of firepower that most ‘MechWarriors can only dream about. Fighting at middle distance, where the Atlas IIC could conceivably bring to bear its entire weapons load, is outright suicide.

DEPLOYMENT

Clan Wolf is the sole user of the Atlas IIC. So far about 10 old Atlases have been re-fitted and sent to the Clan Wolf OZ. Like the Orion IIC and Devastator IIC, Atlas IICs are assigned only to ristar warriors on their way to front-line duty.

MASS BREAKDOWNS

Cockpit: 3
Engine: 19
Gyro: 3
Endo Steel: 5
Armour: 19
2 ER PPCs: 12
2 ER medium Lasers: 2
1 Ultra AC/20 with 3 tons of ammo: 15
1 LRM-20 with Artemis IV and 3 tons of ammo: 9
1 Streak SRM-6 with 2 tons of ammo: 5
8 Additional Double Heat Sinks: 8

LOCATIONS
1 ER PPC, 2 Double heat Sinks-Left Arm
1 ER PPC, 2 Double Heat Sinks (No Hand Actuator)- Right Arm
1 Ultra AC/20, 3 tons Ultra AC/20 Ammo, CASE-Left Torso
1 LRM-20 with Artemis IV, 1 Streak SRM-6, 3 tons LRM-20 Ammo, 2 tons Streak SRM-6 Ammo, CASE- Right Torso
2 ER Medium Lasers (Rear-Facing)- Centre Torso
1 Double Heat Sink-Each Leg

BV: 2,572

MY BLURB

Well, that completes the ‘Kerensky’ series of 'Mechs: Orion IIC, Devastator IIC, and now the Atlas IIC. The Atlas IIC stayed very close to the original design, as you can see. I posted this here a while back and the bulk of the comments consisted of ‘Use a standard engine, fewel’. So now it’s back, this time with a standard engine. Interestingly, BV went up when the payload went up and the heat sinks dropped. The vagaries of the BV system, I guess…

"The man who opens his mouth in the presence of a woman does so only to change feet."
-Me.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Bob_Richter
11/06/01 01:47 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
No.

The Atlas is a scrapper, and the two ER PPCs and LRM give it ample firepower before it gets to its favored range.

Keep the AC/20. Refitting the Atlas with Gauss was one of the biggest things that bugged me about the 3050 refit.

-Bob Richter
A dead primate is nobody's ancestor.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Bob_Richter
11/06/01 07:48 PM

>>>personally, i never had a particular sense of the atlas as necessarily being a scrapper per se.<<<

Imagine that the only Atlas that you've seen is the AS7-D.

This should bring the concept closer to home.

>>>but i don't think i can go with you there. care to enlarge on that point?<<<

You need only look at the Atlas's design. Near-maximum armor, primary firepower [2ML (10pt) 1 SRM-6(8pt) 1 AC/20 (20pt)= holy crap (38pt)] at close range, [vs 1 LRM20 (12)=weak (12) at long range], enough heat sinks to easily handle multiple rounds of close-range combat without overheat. Yes, the Atlas is a scrapper.

Deploy it in ANY other role, and watch it be taken out by superior skirmishers, fire support 'Mechs, or even line Battlemechs. (not harassers, they almost never take ANYTHING out, but the Atlas is clearly not one of them.)

>>>i like how statements of opinion get made as fact...:>
<<<

The reading level here is so low. I suppose I shall have to add a disclaimer.

They are not necessarily statements facts or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.

They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
TenakaFurey
11/08/01 03:22 AM

Hi!

W.R.T the fluff...

The fact that the Atlas was DeCheviliers chosen Mech would tend to suggest that the Jade Falcons are the logical Clan to field this unit, given his close relationship with Hazen.

Plus, they are also the only Clan knwon to have fielded an Atlas II to date.

True, Kerensky may have 'designed' it, but the design itslef would fit better with Jade Falcon history.

In my opinion of course.

EJL

TenakaFurey
11/08/01 03:23 AM

Hmmmm.......

I wonder if anyone rem,embers the Atlas IIC I had posted in 96;-)?

EJL

Nightward
11/09/01 09:14 PM

Nicholas piloted it. I doubt the Wolves would allow it to fall into the hands of the Green Turkeys, regardless of their 'Turkina Keshik' legend.

Perhaps they still have a few older Atlases in mothballs they could drag out and refit, though.

"The man who opens his mouth in the presence of a woman does so only to change feet."
-Me.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
TenakaFurey
11/10/01 09:03 PM

True...but it's also the design in which he died......

EJL

Karagin
10/23/07 06:46 AM

I wonder how this would fare against some of the modern mechs...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Dester
10/23/07 10:43 AM

With both long and short range I think it would do well in a variety of rolls. The problem is that most newer designs are so super speciallized that it would eat the Atlas one on one if its allowed to use optimal ranges/ tactics.

For the refit its self, the chassis to me is the actual frame, the one thing that should not be manufacturable to refit. If you have the ability to swap frames, that tells me you have the ability to manufacture a new mech from scratch.

So to keep with the fluff of the mech I would remove the endo-steel, drop the PPCs to ER-large lasers and lose 1 heat sink. This way you can keep the hand and from a glance it would be difficult to tell the difference between the AS7-D model. Another option would be to swap the ER-larges for a few med lasers and more heat sinks, or pulse versions.

Unfotunantly, using my self imposed structual limitations leaves out the posibility of adding a CASE system.

Dester
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 300 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7891

Contact Admins Sarna.net