Field Manual: Mercenaries rules clarification

Pages: 1
Zilaz
02/02/02 01:00 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Need a quick rules clarification on FM:Mercs
In teh 'Training and service' part of leader's background.... If i used Family Training, then State Acadamy, is it possible to take 4 military terms between State Acadamy and State University, then another 4 after University? Or what? Confused as heck about this
I think, therefore you is.
Greyslayer
02/02/02 01:17 AM

You certainly wouldn't be the first person to be confused by it all .

There are two sections:

Training ... where you learnt to pilot a mech and learnt other skills (such as leadership)

Military Service ... actual time in a cockpit doing a thing mechwarriors were born for .

In the training section each selection adds years to the base age of the character so taking Family trained, State Academy and State University would add 8 years to your starting age. You then take the BEST gunnery and piloting offered through all this.

Now it does explain that you must serve 6 years as a 5/6 (or one term) to go to a state university where you change to a 4/5 if you serve another term in the military you become a 3/4 (-1/-1). It does seem a little skewed using this method though as your experience goes up quicker the longer you have been in the military rather than the other way around.

the training is just giving you the best base gunnery and piloting to work from then you modify it from the length of service (if any).

Greyslayer
Zilaz
02/02/02 08:32 AM

Aye, I understand that.... but I'm questioning if one could take 4 terms of military after the state acadamy then go to the state university and then take 4 MORE terms after that.... thats what the rules seem to be saying but it seems a bit rediculous, you could end with like -2/-3 skills lol
Greyslayer
02/03/02 05:34 AM

Simply put as the rules play it, yes. Though there is NO chance of generating a -2/-3 under that system. It has the provision of 4 terms of military service, after that it is probably desk riding or in such a position that you can longer improve your skills. The best you could get is 1/2. Your character will be anywhere from 32 and up as well, skill and reflexes do start to dull perceivably for more people I believe there. Plus is it suppose to be a starting point.

Greyslayer
Zilaz
02/03/02 09:03 AM

aight, I'll put that interpretation into use. That many terms in the military seemed kinda silly =)
Zilaz
02/05/02 07:40 PM

Another question: Whast is the base target number for Open Recruiting rolls? The list of modifiers is great, but it doesn't give a base number....
damourc
02/05/02 09:40 PM

Ummnnn... Been a while since 'ya had a good nights sleep there guy? :-) Page 140, Paragraph entitled "The Recruiting Roll": "To recruit a new member, the recruiting character rolls 2D6against a base target of 8. (MW II characters make a Social Saving Roll.)"

Chris Damour
Zilaz
02/06/02 06:29 AM

You must have a reprint or corrected edition or something Mine jsut says "To recruit a new member, the recruiting character rolls 2d6. (MW II players make a social saving roll)" 8)~

Thanks for the number
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4133

Contact Admins Sarna.net