Which Battle is going to be...

Pages: 1
Karagin
03/19/02 03:22 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
the desicive one of the Civil War? Will it be New Avalon or Thakard?

New Avalon
Thakard
Other

Votes accepted from (12/31/69 07:00 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Nightward
03/19/02 04:06 PM

I went with 'Other', mainly because of the iompending shattering of the Jade Falcons and Wolves. If Victor can demonstrate his prowess in that forum, the people will slowly start to side with him. After all, the Bitch of tharkad has been bleating about Clan atrocities and occupation for over 10 years and did nothing, yet Victor, who 'hates' the LA saves it from the evil Clan menace. Again, I think Katherine will 'win' this civil war, although I'd rather see Victor do it.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
SuperCharger
03/19/02 05:25 PM

[SPOILER ALERT]

Imminent Crisis, though being focused mainly on the battle for New Syrtis, mentions happenings in the Civil War elsewhere in "news clips" at the beginning of each chapter. From those news clips and the upcoming books' fluff text on Classic BattleTech, Victor apparently has Adam Steiner deal with the Clan problem while he moves on to the FedSuns. Also, the news clips towards the end of Imminent Crisis make it clear that the final showdown between Victor and Katherine happens on New Avalon, though the Estates General still supports Katherine on back on Tharkad. During 3065-67, Katherine moves several loyal units (mostly Lyran!) to New Avalon to support her. At the end of the book, Victor's supporters are linking up with him to take out her forces on New Avalon. George Hasek, however, now recognizes Yvonne Steiner-Davion as rightful heir to the throne, and has decided he could care less what happens on New Avalon. So, although Victor will probably win the war (IMHO), he won't be seated on any thrones, because he's lost public support in both halves of the FedCom.

I think Adam's record against the Jade Falcons will cause the Estates General to declare him Archon, and Victor will relent, because though they've had problems in the past, he respects Adam and believes he'll look out for the welfare of the Lyran people. Katherine and her supporters didn't, and I don't Victor believes the Kelswa-Steiners would either, which leaves Adam as the only pure Steiner choice left.

TenakaFurey
03/20/02 12:29 AM

Victor never ahd any intention of retaking the throne.

The entire war was fought because he believed Katherine was unfit to rule and should be removed...no matter that she was well liked and well supported at the time - in most places; some did want him back.

EJL
SuperCharger
03/20/02 04:30 PM

In reply to:

Victor never ahd any intention of retaking the throne.

*I* know that, and *you* know that, but apparently a lot of people on the board (and characters in the books) don't know that. Case in point, George Hasek doesn't know that, though he was more or less led to his misconception by Ardan Sortek. Chalk it up to Victor's lackeys' inability to get his true point across, I guess.

But I still say as much as Victor didn't want to retake the throne, he won't let the Kelswa-Steiners or Nondi Steiner take it either. Which pretty much leaves Adam. Well, except for Peter Steiner-Davion (if he will ever leave the monastery), but I don't see the Lyrans putting any Steiner-Davions on the throne again.
Bob_Richter
03/20/02 04:55 PM

I'd really go for an end to not only the Steiner-Davion dynasty, but the Steiner dynasty itself.

Why not put a Kell on the throne? Morgan can do a good job...and he even has an heir who ISN'T a Wolf Clan Khan.
-Bob (The Magnificent) Richter

Assertions made in this post are the humble opinion of Bob.
They are not necessarily statements of fact or decrees from God Himself, unless explicitly and seriously stated to be so.
:)
Karagin
03/20/02 05:04 PM

You are also forgetting Victor's other sisters like Yvonne etc...they all could be placed on the throne as well as Peter could.
Karagin

Nightward
03/21/02 12:35 AM

You could do a lot worse than putting Archer Christofori on the Throne as well...

It might be that they are heading that way, from the novels at least. Adam is a good military man (well, it's hard to look incompetant if you are only fighting the Jade Falcons), but Christofori is supposedly a good leader of men. It looks more and more like Christofori will be given an extremely high post if Victor wins (unlikely). At the very least, Archer would be given Nondi's old job.

Re the Kell Hounds idea- probably not likely. Morgan has got to be pushing 70 by now, and I thought Phelan was his only son. If you are talking about Daniel Allard...well, he was raised in the Combine and most people know he was a Yakuza before he joined the Hounds. Add this to the fact that Katherine probably started a massivce smear campaign against the Kells after the ARDC seceeded (I know I would have, in the same position) his case for being elected as Archon is low. Add this to the fact that he belongs to the oppsotion movement, and that the average Lyran drone hero-worships Katherine...

From what I've heard, it seems that Katherine is going slowly insane. Odds are that she'll be kept around for formal occasions (where people expect her to gibber) and that the Federated Commonwealth will be ruled from behind the throne. Lord knows Ryan Steiner's son will be kicking himself for not making nice with Katherine...it could have been him.

A final prospect (none too likely, but very interesting) is that Anastasius Focht could reveal who he is. Everybody knew Frederick Steiner wanted the throne. Add this to the fact that he and Victor get along like a house on fire...
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
NathanKell
03/21/02 01:50 AM

I believe you are confusing Dan Allard and Christian Kell (IIR that name right). Chris was the, err, "unacknowledged" son of Morgan who was raised by the Yakuza (after his mother was murdered? Died? something) in the Combine. Dan, I believe, had quite a respectable upbringing on New Avalon (or wherever Quintus happened to be at the time).
The other Kell, of course, is Caitlin, who at one time was bosom companion of Katherine's but was brought "into the loop" by Morgan after Katherine tried to do something through her. And since the Archonship is often in female hands...
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Black_Phoenix
03/21/02 07:30 AM

Just so you know, Christian Kell was the son of Patrick (not Morgan). And in the 2nd Blood of Kerensky novel, he said that proved it using a verigraph.
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

NathanKell
03/21/02 08:58 AM

Oh, heck, right.
Well, *a* Kell's son, then
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
SuperCharger
03/21/02 12:28 PM

In reply to:

You are also forgetting Victor's other sisters like Yvonne etc...they all could be placed on the throne as well as Peter could.

There are only 2 Steiner-Davion sisters: Katherine and Yvonne. George Hasek seems to support Yvonne for the Federated Suns throne. If Katherine's deposed, no one wants Victor, Arthur is "dead," Peter is in permanent seclusion, and Yvonne is on the FedSuns throne, we've just run out of Steiner-Davions. I still say the Lyrans are sick of Steiner-Davions (well, actually the -Davion part is the most troublesome) and will want a pure Steiner to rule them again.

I'm not discounting the possibility that the Lyran Alliance will simply break up, which the Kelswa-Steiners seem to want to do anyway. Or, that somehow Peter or Yvonne will win over the Lyrans. But if that's the case, introducing Adam into the novels was almost useless; there has to be more reason to pull him from the almost-forgotten cartoon series than just to stop the Clans while Victor continues the Civil War. For that, and his successes against the Clans, and all the other reasons I've mentioned, I believe the novel authors have him destined for the Archon's throne.

(Note I never said I LIKED Adam; so far, he seems to be little more than a useful doorknob.)
Karagin
03/21/02 01:02 PM

Thought Victor had three sisters...I wish Adam Stiener and the entire Cartoon BS had died off and was forgotten...but here we are still living that oddity down...I wonder if he will take the throne in a mech or piloting a Sloth battle armor suit while fighting of a Trueborn mechwarrior who is piloting a vehicle crewed by freebirths...
Karagin

Nightward
03/21/02 06:21 PM

Thanks for the corrections. Still, though...a Kell in power seems unlikely. I like the Anastasius Focht idea. Hehe. "I am the man who shattered the Clans-both at Tukayyid and on their homeworlds. Bow down and worship me."
NathanKell
03/21/02 10:35 PM

*and* the fellow who healed the ComStar mystic / Lyran pragmatist rift (see HSSB for info on that IIRC) not to mention the Aaah-FedCom-Must-Die mentality, of Waterly.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
03/27/02 12:50 AM

Gotta agree there, but isn't Fotch a little to old to be taking the throne?
Karagin

Nightward
03/27/02 09:16 PM

Doesn't matter. He'd do more good for the Lyrans in one day than Katherine could do in 10 billion years. Anasatius is cool.
SuperCharger
04/04/02 07:24 PM

<<
Gotta agree there, but isn't Fotch a little to old to be taking the throne?
>>

Funny thing, I actually figured that out yesterday while re-reading Lethal Heritage. September 15, 3049 was Focht's 78th birthday. In 3067, he'd be 96 years old. That probably is a bit too old to take the Archon's Throne, even in the BattleTech Universe...
Nightmare
04/05/02 01:10 AM

Perhaps he`s got a few children hidden away?
Advice for Evil Overlords:
My legions of terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.
Nightward
04/08/02 08:04 AM

General Kerensky was over 150 when he died, wasn't he?
NathanKell
04/08/02 04:09 PM

110 IIRC
Thomas Jefferson
KamikazeJohnson
04/08/02 04:17 PM

Well, Siriwan McAllister-Kurita was 109 the third time she was made DC Co-ordinator. You know what they say..."Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill every time"
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6233

Contact Admins Sarna.net