Crossover attempts

Pages: 1
novakitty
03/22/02 12:55 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
I am just curious if anyone has attempted a crossover into mechwarrior, and if so, what it was and how well it worked.
meow
CrayModerator
03/22/02 01:14 PM

Crossover from what? Some of my group indulged in "Shadowtech," aka "Battlerun", a Mechwarrior/Battletech game using Shadowrun with thinly disguised magic ("psionics"), cyberware, and races. It sounded munchy as heck.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
novakitty
03/22/02 03:33 PM

If that means that you, personnaly, did not participate, then your answer is meaningless. Tell one of them to post and honestly say what they thought of it.
meow
CrayModerator
03/22/02 03:53 PM

Pardon? Bad mood today?

The people who ran the "Battlerun" game were my best friends and gave me a blow-by-blow description of their adventures, the house rules they used, and I told them outright it sounded too munchy (power gaming was the term I used) for my tastes. They didn't have a problem with my observation and agreed - they proudly admitted that it was raw power gaming fit for an example in the Munchkin's Guide to Powergaming. What do you want to know about the campaign? What vehicle control rigs and smart gun links do to mech combat? How deep the blood pools when a "thought form" is summoned into an enemy mech's cockpit? What the "ram" spell does to a mech? What do you want to know?

I got so far as considering an "all BT" game where one "lost" Periphery planet was virtually a replica of Shadowrun's Earth (without magic) and debated it on CBT (look up a thread in the MW forum, something like "Evil Evil Munchkin thoughts"). How would shadowrunners respond to their first encounter with mechs? However, an all-consuming addiction to Everquest kept the potential players away from the game (as has happened with quite a few of my recent table top game ideas).

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.
novakitty
03/22/02 04:04 PM

My post was not in a bad mood, I asked for first hand experience. No amount of second hand accounts are the equal of an opinion generated by first hand experience. Therefore, your post was not what I asked for. If they said it was munchy, you should have mentioned that it was their opinion, not just yours. Still, I asked for personal experience.

Since you appear to know their attempts to the smallest detail, was it cybered, magic weilding characters against regular mechwarrior opponents, or did they ever fight something that had a chance against them?
meow
novakitty
03/22/02 04:39 PM

As a side note, I have seen Shadowrun rules for psionics, they greatly resemble regular magic but without a few of the befits and some of the hassle. Your friends might not have been veiling it, just using the easier system.

This post is guesswork, if my point is completely irrelevent to the group in question, fine. It is not my point to get picky over one word, but to just mention a trait of the game in question. Nothing in this specific reply is of sufficient consequence to deserve a reply.
meow
CrayModerator
03/22/02 05:19 PM

>Therefore, your post was not what I asked for.

So I gather. There were also a dozen better ways you could've phrased your response.

novakitty
03/24/02 01:22 PM

How did you handle them?
meow
Durango
07/15/02 11:25 AM

I have attempted a crossover from Aftermath! to Battletech, and even tried to make a crossover from a pseudo-White Wolf system we were running.

In the end, the GM decided to make up a whole new Big Robots Fight game, based loosely on the Mecha from Heavy Gear and a scenario which had the Germans as having won WWII. (And WWIII, BTW.)

But Aftermath!, which is a FGU game, transferred over pretty well, we just made a scale to transfer the character's stats from Base Chance of Success to the 1-6 levels in Btech.

That was a few years ago, but if you still need more info, I'm sure I can find my notes. They're probably still somewhere in my Aftermath! binder.
Acolyte
07/16/02 09:51 PM

Doh! That's the second reference to Aftermath! that I've gotten. I really have to pick this game up.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6258

Contact Admins Sarna.net