Redtail (from "Cowboy Bebop")

Pages: 1
Black_Phoenix
03/23/02 06:54 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
As with the Swordfish I made this design on Vehicle Factory, so the armor is not in AT2 stats. Sorry

Redtail

Tech: Clan
Type: Aerospace Fighter
Weight: 50 tons

Structural Integrety: 5
Safe Thrust: 4
Max Thrust: 6
Fuel: 5 tons
Heat Sinks: 11 [22]
Armor: Ferro-Aluminum (125+ 10 pts)

Nose: 28
Cockpit: 10
Wings: 27
Fuselage: 22
Engine: 21

Weapons & ammo
2 ER Medium Lasers- Nose
UAC/10- RW
UAC/10- LW
Streak SRM 2- RW
Streak SRM 2- LW
Ammo (UAC) 10-RW
Ammo (UAC) 10-LW
Ammo (streak)- Rear (1 ton)
Targeting Computer- Nose

Cost:3,722,916
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

novakitty
03/24/02 01:29 PM

With most of my resources on most everything out of reach, I cannot remember exactly which vehicle this is. Looking at the weapons, I think it is Faye's. If my guess is right, are there any rules relevant to completely non-aerodynamic designs?
meow
Black_Phoenix
03/24/02 07:56 PM

>>I cannot remember exactly which vehicle this is.** I think it is Faye's>>

Yep, it's Faye's ship.

>>If my guess is right, are there any rules relevant to completely non-aerodynamic designs?>>

Not a clue. I could have made it a heavier VSTOL craft, but I don't know the rules for those. Nor do I really think it would make a good VSTOL.

In your opinion, what would be the best weapons in BTech to put in place of the grappling hook on Jet's Hammerhead ? I was planning on making that one next and wanted to know what would be the best weapon, so that I can determine the size of the ship.
History is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

novakitty
03/24/02 10:45 PM

Sorry, the only thing that might be immediately relevant is from some odd house rules and not even meant for aerospace fighters.

I was somewhat wondering how that would work myself. You almost would have to create a new weapon to make it fit right, I would base it on a somewhat short range weapon for distance (in space, hexes are huge) and create some special grappling rules.

Prototype grapple rules:
Range: Black_Phoenix's preference (shortish)
Damage: 3 (it will stress the target to grapple on)
Wire strength: 20 points (just a guess, the number is how much opposite thrust it can endure)
Reel-in force: 5 (divide by relative velocities between connected craft to get the number of hexes the cord can wind that turn)

To determine net velocity of tehered vessiles:
1) know how to do vector addition
2) add force vectors of tethered craft (mass * thrust)
3) assume similar relative positions of craft
4) move both craft according to sum vector

As you can see, the math for my only idea is more than most players will meet constructing their craft and using high end level 3 rules with all the options.
meow
KamikazeJohnson
03/24/02 11:05 PM

In reply to:

To determine net velocity of tehered vessiles:
1) know how to do vector addition
2) add force vectors of tethered craft (mass * thrust)
3) assume similar relative positions of craft
4) move both craft according to sum vector

Alternatively, set a requirement that the aggressor must have the movement points to end the turn in the same hex and moving say...within 1 point of the target's speed (final manoevering and the cable itself will serve to match velocity). This could be a special case where ships can occupy the same hex, or simply park the aggressor in an adjacent hex.

For combined movement, maybe have a target number for the to break free, based on the difference in thrust and the tensile strength of the cable. Failure means no change in velocity. The aggressor can of course disconnect the cable at any time. Perhaps assume that any manoevering of the connected ships is impossible while connected, other than + or - thrust, which is applied at half strength, and requires a cable check unless both ships thrust the same.

This keeps some semblance of realism while avoiding all that messy vector addition.
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Black_Phoenix
03/25/02 12:27 AM

Actually, I was looking for an idea in the catagory of BTech weapons. I was thinking of using an AC/20 in place of the grappling hook.

The grapple hook weapon would be a good idea, but I could name at least two people that would claim it to be munchy (especially if I made it). Hmm, I just had a revelation. I could convert the rules from an old mech size magnetic grapple that I made a while ago. Most people disliked that design anyway, so it wouldn't prove to be too horrible if remade.

novakitty
03/25/02 01:32 PM

That might work, but whenever most people suggest generalizations to make things useful without at least a minor in mathematics or physics, a few unnamed voices get quite loud.

The tradeoff between our suggestions appears to be effectiveness vs. ease of use. I say, choose the method you prefer that all the players can agree on, but I am probably opening myself up to get flamed violenly by even admitting that.
meow
NathanKell
03/25/02 05:56 PM

"a few unnamed voices get quite loud."
Ooh! Pick me! Pick me!
And heck, just convert the whole system to good ol' vectors...
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
novakitty
03/25/02 06:28 PM

I also would favor a vector based Aerotech. It would make ramming much more accurate (A 50 tonner moving at a velocity of 14 hits a 75 tonner moving at a velocity of 9. If the relative angle between the two craft is 25 degrees, what are the final velocities and vectors of the two craft after the collision? Now that is a good story problem for a physics class.)

And for the real math geniuses: same problem as above, but take into account energy loss due to armor crumpling where the 50 tonner has standard armor and the 75 tonner is using ferro-aluminum.

I would make an odd physics Prof.
meow
NathanKell
03/25/02 06:37 PM

Heh, our version involved a Little Old Lady from Pasadena (in, of course, her shiny red Super Stock Dodge) bumping into a poor kid in a station wagon. Who ran the red light?
(we *had* an odd physics prof )

So...how much energy do those two armor types absorb?
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
novakitty
03/25/02 06:39 PM

Assuming that standard aerospace armor is aluminum, and that ferro-aluminum armor is about a 50-50 mix, I do not know.
meow
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4848

Contact Admins Sarna.net