Unwanted paint job

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Spartan
04/30/02 12:47 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
How would ya'll go about cleaning one off?
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
LordChaos
04/30/02 04:39 PM

I soak the mini in pine sol for about an hour, then attack with an old tooth brush. Repeat as needed (some seem to require multiple repititions, others seem to be cleaned after 1 time).
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
Cheapbuzz
04/30/02 08:16 PM

I use acetone it works extreemly well.
Cheapbuzz
05/01/02 09:07 AM

But what effect would Pinesol have on plastic mechs?
Karagin
05/01/02 05:45 PM

Depends on two things, is this a metal mini or a plastic one?

A friend of mine dips his mechs into paint thinner to remove the paint job if he is not happen with it, but as he found out paint thinner melts plastic mechs...

You could try Pine Sol, I have hard that works, but I have not tried it. I just repaint over the current paint job with primer and redo it myself.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Spartan
05/02/02 12:07 AM

They're all metal, I have this inexplicable mental block against acquiring the plastic minis. Sounds like PineSol, acetone or paint thinner are my choices so far but I may have to go with the PineSol, I live in an apartment and don't have any room to mess with things like acetone or paint thinner. And I've already got some PineSol.
Spartan

Karagin
05/02/02 12:32 AM

All you need for the paint thinner is the kicthen sink...and bowl or bucket...
Karagin

Spartan
05/02/02 01:43 PM

Oh, I know. What I meant was the fumes. At least PineSol smells good... if you get the scented kind anyways.
Spartan

LordChaos
05/02/02 03:21 PM

haven't had any problems with it yet (and yes, I've stripped a few plastic mechs this way).
Real mechwariors pilot IS mechs.
Cheapbuzz
05/02/02 06:19 PM

Thanks I wish I would have known about this a few years ago. It could have saved me a lance.
Karagin
05/07/02 12:55 PM

Good point on the fumes, I normally have the kicthen window open when I use the sink for that...but PineSol is a good second and you are right it does smell better.
Karagin

Spartan
08/07/02 10:29 AM

Do you mean Goo-Off? I've never heard of Goof-Off. At least not as a chemical anyway.
Spartan

BroCaptMaximus
08/08/02 06:38 PM

And if you use undiluted Pine-Sol be sure you wear gloves when you are using it. If it gets on your skin it will dry it out really bad. I striped some 40K minis with it and didn't use gloves, I got it all over my hands and the next day my entire hands where peeling cause the top layer of skin had dryed completely out. Very itchy and very nasty looking.
Acolyte
08/10/02 06:01 AM

As anouther advantage, it gives your mini that "New 'Mech" smell.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
Karagin
08/11/02 06:32 PM

As it has been reported here and other places Pine-Sol can melt or eat some plastics...
Karagin

Nightward
08/12/02 05:45 PM

Heh. When I painted a miniature I didn't like, I stripped it back to metal with a mix of Mineral Turpentine, Nail Polish Remover, Paint Stripper and Eucalyptus Oil. It had a foul stench and gave off some sorta gas, but I set them outside overnight, then in the morning I took an old toothbrush to them. The paint practically begged to be allowed off the miniature

It works on both water-based and enamel paints. However, I would not reccommend breathing in the gas, nor handling the liquid with flesh wounds. It also melts superglue, so be ready to glue the thing up again. Finally, I would *REALLY* not use this stuff on plastic miniatures... "My Melted Pile of Plastic Goo moves 5 hexes, and..."
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Karagin
08/13/02 06:22 PM

The plastic ones from the 3rd Ed Box set it will eat. I have seen it eat the Marauder from that set.

As for the darker gray ones I am not sure on either...I had Pine Sol eat through a side skirt from a Panzer tank that I was trying to take the paint off of...I was able to save it though and the hole looks like battle damage...

Scrubbing is a better bet if all else fails.
Karagin

Spartan
08/26/02 06:35 PM

I always thought a new mech would smell more like diesel oil or some other such petroleum based lubricant. Love that smell. But then it might smell exactly like Pinesol on the inside if the pilot put up a pine tree air freshener on his rear view monitor. Does anyone know what a tank smells like on the inside new? Maybe that will give us a clue.
Spartan

Spartan
08/26/02 06:43 PM

Um, yeah, uh, I don't think I'll try that one. Sounds a little nastier than I want to mess with. I think paint thinner by itself is nasty enough. But at any rate if and when I need to strip one I think I'll stick with the pinesol, I've got plenty of that. And I won't be worried about it eating a hole through me.
Spartan

Nightward
08/29/02 05:54 PM

Heh

I live my life by a simple policy: "Go with what works." Since I knew that everything in thge mix could strip paint, I reasoned that mixed together, it would *REALLY* strip paint
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Spartan
08/30/02 04:49 PM

"Go with what works" is not a bad policy. But if what works is inclined to eat your hand off when you touch it, you might want to find something else that works.
Spartan

Nightward
09/01/02 07:32 PM

True, true
CGB_Phelan77
03/23/03 11:39 PM

okay so I am a little late in responding but if you do not know this already, Pine Sole works great, 99% removal for latex paints, not sure about enamles but do not use enamles they are a pain.
SkorpionDrache
06/09/03 02:26 AM

This'll be my first post on this message board (insert groan here.)
Anyway,I usually only paint metal minis,personnally I prefer the weight and detail of them over their plastic counterparts.
To strip em down,I suggest a chemical called Methel Ethel Keytone.Its hard to get a hold of,and pretty nasty stuff,but it gives excellent results.Other than that Ill use gasoline in a sealed mason jar for a day or two,or acetone and a little scrubbing.
By the way,I also use enamel paint so it takes something pretty aggressive to strip them down.
I really wouldnt recomend mixing anything together.Unless your a chemist you probably wont know what nasty concoction your gonna get.

And for what its worth,even a brand new tank wont keep that "New Tank Smell" after four guys spend thirty plus days in it in the field,no matter how hard you wash it.It'll smell like sweat,amonia,and exhaust.(Both from the tank,and the crew sealed up inside.)
"Listen up privates,if you ain't cheatin',you ain't tryin',and if you get caught,you didn't try hard enough!"
Drill Sergeant Steinbacher
Brian_Paxt
04/27/08 07:26 PM

So here is a question a friend has asked me.

I have not repainted any of my plastic pieces, but what would be a good product to use to remove paint off of plastic minis?
Tripod
04/28/08 05:02 AM

i believe brake fluid is plastic safe, or it was for warhammer plastic mini's

i didnt read every post, but did anyone bother to ask what kind fo paint was used? if it was the oil based testors type, or the water based games workshop type...?

this makes a huge differance... also, was water based, but then clear coated....???
TBA
Brian_Paxt
05/02/08 09:03 PM

I believe they are water based and not clear coated.
Kovax
11/21/08 12:48 PM

Brake fluid will definitely soften plastic figs if you leave them in too long. Pine-Sol will work better on Acrylic paints, brake fluid is better on Enamels, and I've been told that Simple Green is effective and safe, but haven't tried it. A few of the exotic Epoxy-based finishes need a solvent that will eat your Mech like candy and still hardly touch the paint.
Karagin
08/06/09 12:14 PM

Simple Green works the best, it doesn't eat the plastic figs and it strips the metal one clean.
Karagin

OPER_DANG
10/12/09 09:53 AM

Just reading through as I plan to redo some old minis. Normally I would just paint over, but some aren't really showing all their detail. I'm betting a good hobby supply store has a paint stripper or 2 sold with their paints. If not I'll try some simple green.

Just a note on safety to other readers, just check the label of any chemicals before use so you are aware of the risks like flamability, plus risks to health or other chemicals you shouldn't mix with.
You come to appreciate those labels if you've ever dealt with a trash can fire or getting your significant other outside to the fresh air ...

Edited by OPER_DANG (10/12/09 10:31 AM)
Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 29183

Contact Admins Sarna.net