Clicky-Tech?

Pages: 1
KamikazeJohnson
06/18/02 01:14 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ok, I've heard over and over how MWDA is going to be a "click-based" or "clicky-tech" system. What exactly does that mean? I haven't played or even seen Mage Knight, so please don't say it's "like Mage Knight" and leave it at that.

Can anyone help me out here?
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
06/18/02 01:21 AM

Simple the base of the mech will have a dial that turns and it tells you the damage and other info you need, thus no paper, no mech sheets to mark the damage on.

This is suppose to speed the game up and allow for bigger battles. The combat dial will tell you the heat level, (if they are even using heat), damage, speed etc...but gone are the criticals and the other things that made hitting some one with an AC10 interesting.

Also each unit has special powers or abilites, like the units do in Mage Knights, as you look of the MWDA pages that have the mechs and such on them you will find that a mech can do one thing and other one something different. Each faction has it's own special powers as well.

The game is set up that you buy a booster package, beyond the main game. In each one you get one mech, one vehicle one infantry and one other unit, I don't recall what it is right now, it's late and I am falling asleep...

You don't get to see what you are buy when you get the booster package till you open it, so you could have dozens of the same units kind of like all that mana in Magic TCG.

So based on this, and I am sure that others will have more indepth info and or tell me I am attacking the game or misleading you as someone already has on one board, that is what MW DA will be a Sci-Fi version of Mage Knights.

Hope this helps.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
KamikazeJohnson
06/18/02 01:31 AM

Ok...I think I get the basic idea. It doesn't sound too bat for a general combat system, although it's a radical departure from BT as we know it. I might actually give it a try if it was simply a new combat system, but not being able to select my own force from the get-go, or choose what I want to buy next, is not my thing. I don't want to be forced to either spend ridiculous amounts of cash or find someone to trade with in order to get the units I want
Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.
--Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
06/18/02 01:35 AM

Unless they go with the selling of indiviudal mechs etc...then you will be forced to buy the units unseen then not know what you are getting tell you open the package.

I heard one person suggest pulling the dial off the bottom of the mechs and using them in BT, but the size of the mechs is different then the ones we currently have.

Over all you are going to be spending a lot of cash to get the latest toys and even then you may not get them all.

Also you won't be able to make your own units up, and we all know that is one of the better parts of Battletech, the ability to make your own mechs, vehicles and aerofighters and then take on someone else super mech and see who made the better machine.

Karagin

Cheapbuzz
06/18/02 09:59 AM

"Also each unit has special powers or abilites"
Oh wow gee how great now we have special magical battlemechs..........................................................::vomits uncontrollably::
MadWolf
06/19/02 01:40 PM

Mage Knight has spawned a whole new retail section in comic shoppes. The individual sales of figures. The more the figure is wanted, the more you pay, Works out well, :vomit: and all the mechs you dont want are really cheap. This forces you to hope that when you buy a booster pack you get what youve been praying for, And if its like mage knight, then the different expansions only have a run life of about two weeks. I hate what they have done to the BT universe, ugh.
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Durango
06/19/02 01:49 PM

Not just individual sales, but wholesale.

People showing up at Cons with entire tupperware bins of pieces they got trying to buy that Uber-piece.

I can't wait to start collecting my own bins of cheap plastic.
MadWolf
06/19/02 02:11 PM

Oh good ! More plastic!

Does anyone else feel depressed about this???
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
rock
06/19/02 03:00 PM

Sure, I am, especially since I think the "click-system" is almost run its' course.

My children and I got into Mage Knight and enjoyed the game system. We tired rather quickly with the collectable side of the game. Even then I/we spent several hundred dollars before we gave up on trying to complete our armies based on the "Rebellion" starters and boosters. We did not even try to get into the other expansion booster sets. (Note: We each took a faction that we were going to play/complete, thus there was no fighting over who got that rare/unigue figure for each faction.)

Many of the stores where we used to buy Mage Knight are no longer stocking the Mage Knight starters/boosters/expansions any more, because they are just not selling. Also, they are not carrying Mage Knight:Dungeon either.

A few stores have Hero-click, but they are not stocking it at anywhere near the same level as they did with Mage Knight. And it seems like they are stocking Hero-click only because of the comic book tie-in.

Edited by rock (06/19/02 04:35 PM)
SuperCharger
06/19/02 11:23 PM

Remember, Plastics Make it Possible (TM)

Brought to you by the Plastics Industry...
Karagin
06/19/02 11:56 PM

LOL! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Karagin

Acolyte
06/20/02 01:48 AM

It didn't die to begin with. More like went into a coma. And it's done that so many times it's become proverbial. First the Clams er Clans, then the Unseen, then FASA went under, then BT got given to FanPro and finaly, Click-Tech. I don't think it'll die any time soon.

Light a fire for a man, and you keep him warm for one night,
Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Acolyte
rock
06/20/02 02:20 AM

No, Battletech will never truely die. Battletech has gone into hibrination or a coma or stasis (or whatever word you want to use) so many times that I have lost count.

Battletech (the game) was only seriously hurt one time that I can remember. (Do not ask me place the exact dates.) There was a period of time in the early '90s (I think) where FASA was so busy with computer games, arcade games, toys, and TV series that FASA almost literally stopped supporting the Battletech game. By the time they finally started publishing product again, a lot of Battletech players were gone and stores had stopped carrying FASA products.

In my opinion, I think Battletech never did recover from that.

I know I am not alone in that opinion/perception because there was a short discussion (either here or on CBT) about players believing FASA went out of business back in the early '90s.
McKennsy
06/22/02 07:18 AM

I just want to point out that the initial release of Mage Knight was divided into different boxes for each faction within the MageKnight Universe, and thereafter you bought your figures in random boaster boxes. However in MageKnight you can field an army made from many different factions.

I dont know what plans WizKids have for BT but it makes sence to assume the initial release will be similar , boxes for each House and Clan.

MageKnight itself is an enjoyable game with more strategy than you might expect , but I dont think the format will transfer to BT.

Cheers,

McKennsy.
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 7288

Contact Admins Sarna.net