MacCavity, here's your response:

Pages: 1
Durango
07/12/02 03:11 PM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Ok, MacCavity39877, since your post got buried in the last thread, I'll start a new one.

In reply to:

Quoting macavity39877...

Okay! I am hearing all sides and able to see all sides, without any real opinions. I do, although, have one question.

The statement "as long as we're on the topic of scale, I'd like to point out that Battletech came first...therefore it is MAGE TECH which is in the WRONG SCALE. (Just had to make sure that was said.) "

Given that quote, are you saying that Battletech is originally Mage Tech? The reason I am confused is I came into learning about Battletech as Fasa owned and it's own game of the Battletech.

I also learned that BT can be incorporated with playing Mech Warrior Charcters-wise.

Then.... FASA sold out and Whiz Kids came to buy them and then all these games and stuff came out.

Somewhere in all the discussions I became confused. My apologies everyone!

Ok, I didn't see anyone else field this so let me see if I can show you my skewed viewpoint. (Remember, I'm biased.)

In my opinion:

If you design an original, and then you design a similar, the orginal is the one which all others are judged by.

Therefore:

First was Battledroids, and they were big. Then came Battletech, and they were smaller. And then came Magetech, and they were HUGE. I am referring, of course, to the size of the minis used in the game.

Now we all know that Mage Tech and Battletech are two different games. Everyone seems to agree on this.

Everyone also knows that Mage Tech is lifting some of it's ancient history from Battletech. From there, they take a tangent into the new, Fantasy Mage Tech Storyline, an impossibly improbable collection of events.

But even that I don't care about.

Where the confusion may be coming in, is in the names. Mechwarrior, Battletech, and Mechwarrior: Dark Ages (known "affectionately" to some of us as Mage Tech, due to it's Xerox-copy-ish similarity to Mage Knight).

First, there was Battledroids. It was a Big Robots Fight game, using knockoffs of Gundam Mecha.

Then a certain sue-happy director made them change the name. Enter Battletech, which was a Big Robots Fight game, using kockoffs of Gundam Mechs, in a smaller scale.

Then a certain sue-happy company made them change the 'Mechs. Then, during Battletech's heyday, they came out with the RPG for Battletech, which was appropriately called Mechwarrior (the RPG game).

Then Micro$oft came out with a series of computer games called Mechwarrior.

Then, FASA folded, and a certain opportunist bought all the rights to all these names.

THEN, instead of calling his new game Battletech, he decided to call it Mechwarrior. WHY he did this, I'm not clear on. (Admittedly.) However, some have said it was because he thought that Mechwarrior had a larger crowd who'd recognize the game. Then they (unecessarily and ill-advisedly) change the name of real Battletech to Classic Battletech, and licenced the name out to Fantasy Productions (originally of Germany) to keep making real Battletech stuff.

For clarification, real Battletech has not changed (even though for some reason they felt it necessary to call it Classic Battletech...just like Classic Coke and with all the euphimistic ramifications). I still call it REAL Battletech and I REFUSE to use the word Classic. The word Classic is redundant, and unnecessary.

Hope you managed to glean some information out of this, despite my skewed opinionated ramblings.

Just to reiterate...Battletech came FIRST. Mage Tech figures are the wrong size.
novakitty
07/12/02 03:34 PM

Only Mechwarrior 4 had any relation to Microsoft at all. Each of the battletech related PC games were ideas from FASA that they wanted made. FASA then found programming groups who were willing to make their games.

The PC games were not a Microsoft conspiracy to weaken battletech, and Microsoft was only involved with this last one.

Try to get the facts before you curse someone or something. You can have plenty of reasons for hating Microsoft, but starting the Mechwarrior series of PC games should not be one of them. Making the Mechwarrior PC game that removed almost all the joy of customization is a good reason.
meow
Durango
07/12/02 07:17 PM

I wasn't blaming Micro$oft for the demise of Fasa.

It was merely the order I presented them in.

Calm down!
novakitty
07/12/02 07:18 PM

I was trying to point out what Zippy said with much more accuracy. I was having difficulty remembering who produced the first three. His reply is better.
meow
Khan_Robinette
07/12/02 07:46 PM

And Battledroids begat battletech, which begat Mechwarrior, which begat Mechwarrior Dark Ages, which begat Classic Battletech.

Amen......

"Teach me and I'll teach you
If you need a hand I'll give you two
Respect me and I'll respect you
Disrespect me and I will destroy you"
Greyslayer
07/12/02 08:23 PM

'Mechwarrior 3 was a creation of Hasbro interactive'

Actually Zippy if you will remember Fasa Interactive was purchased before Mechwarrior 3 was released. On the box this is who had a hand in creating it:

Fasa Corporation, Microsoft, Zipper Interactive, Microprose and Hasbro (who owned Microprose).

I also think the original was released through Activision (who had the license) by Dynamix. I am not sure on that though.

Greyslayer
MadWolf
07/13/02 01:11 PM

I find it quite upseting that you have to start a new fourm just to continue your whinning. Are you all that possesed that somthing this stupid would make you so irate that you cant use a SCROLL BAR ! Geezus, I thought that gamers were a-little above sinking to new lows outside of game.......
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Durango
07/13/02 02:32 PM

In reply to:

I find it quite upseting that you have to start a new fourm just to continue your whinning. Are you all that possesed that somthing this stupid would make you so irate that you cant use a SCROLL BAR ! Geezus, I thought that gamers were a-little above sinking to new lows outside of game.......

Feeling a little grumpy today? PMS'ing, perhaps?

Settle down, my entire post was done to be humourous as well as informative.

Tragically, some cannot see it as either.

Cadet
07/13/02 04:46 PM

In reply to:

Geezus, I thought that gamers were a-little above sinking to new lows outside of game.......

Man that's funny. If you think that's bad, I've seen people on this board call the FBI and the Army over stuff on this board...

Starting a new thread is nothing.
Does not play well with others.
MadWolf
07/14/02 01:16 AM

Actually i was in a bit of a bad mood earlier today.....

Sorry
Nothing is Impossible, It is only Improbable.
Lance_Hawkins
07/14/02 03:32 PM

But the first 2 Btech computer games was published for Infocom.

Cresent Hawk's Inception
Cresent Hawk's Revenge

the first one at least was created by Westwood Asssosiates, but published by Infocom.

Øystein
I have seen the best of men go past, I do not want to be the last.
SuperCharger
07/14/02 06:23 PM

>>Then Micro$oft came out with a series of computer games called Mechwarrior.<<

Well, it's probably not worth continuing this thread, but I'd still like to point out that Microsoft only makes the MechWarrior 4 and MechCommander 2 line of video games.

The original MechWarrior video game was made by InfoCom.
MechWarrior 2 (including MW2: Ghost Bear's Legacy and MW2: Mercenaries) was made by Activision.
MechWarrior 3 (and original MechCommander, I think) was made by MicroProse.
novakitty
07/14/02 10:23 PM

Of everything he said, we all pick on this point.
meow
Pages: 1
Extra information
1 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4538

Contact Admins Sarna.net