MWDA RULES Are out...

Pages: 1
Karagin
07/18/02 09:18 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
MW:Dark Age Rules and Special Equipment Cards are now available from:
Rules
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Greyslayer
07/18/02 09:27 AM

Hmmm that symbol they are using looks like a 40k chaos symbol ....... *cringe* this better not bode how poor the game actually is

Greyslayer
Greyslayer
07/18/02 10:44 AM

Mercenaries cannot use formations what so ever and since it seems there is mixing and matching of units in general in factions from other factions just what advatages do mercenaries get?

Greyslayer
rock
07/19/02 04:51 PM

Well, I read the rules and charts.

First, I will say that my children and I really enjoy playing Mage Knight. (Good job, WizKids)

Second, I will say that after reading the rules it looks like DarkAge is pretty much just Mage Knight goes Sci-Fi.

Third/Last, I was not impressed by DarkAge and neither was my oldest son. We will continue to buy Mage Knight.
Greyslayer
07/20/02 12:33 AM

I was interested in seeing one of the main arguments against battletech and for MW:DA was there is no book keeping in MW:DA. From what I can see the system requires alot more 'physical' book keeping from using tokens all the time.

Now considering you shouldn't need tokens (how hard would it be to put a flip-tab on a figure to represent tokens?) Tokens just get in the way of a already cluttered board.

Greyslayer
rock
07/20/02 02:13 AM

Actually the use of tokens is not too bad. There are never more than a few tokens on the table at any given time. At least while playing Mage Knight there were only a few tokens on the table. DarkAge looks to play the same, so the tokens should not be a problem.
Greyslayer
07/20/02 02:25 AM

Several units can be a part of a formation. A formation can use the same order (unless of course you are a merc for some reason) thus meaning you should use tokens on each member of the formation (as I believe a member from the formation can also 'individually' act on a order outside of the formation). Also remember you get one order for each 100 points (and I am not sure but extra orders if you have a command vehicle on the table as well). So you can conceivably have some dozen or so units being issued orders and some already under the affects (tokens) of orders from the previous turn.

Am I correct in my understanding?

Greyslayer
rock
07/20/02 02:46 AM

Yes and No.

In a 300 point army you would issue 3 maybe 4 orders per turn. The tokens would be set behind 3 individual units or placed behind formations. We found that only one token needs to be placed behind a formation. If you give an order to an individual unit in the formation on the next turn, then you have broken the formation and that individual unit would have 2 tokens on it. There would be no need to put tokens behind the other units in the formation, since it would be easy to remember they were part of a formation, plus at the end of turn the other units of the "old" formation would have their tokens removed anyways.

We found that in a 300 point game of Mage Knight, that we never had more than 6 tokens at most in play, unless of course we had a leader unit which might make it 7 or 8 maximum. On the average I would say more like 4 to 5 tokens on the table at a time. The tokens were really not much of a problem.
Greyslayer
07/20/02 03:07 AM

The difference I could see is 'Heat'. Mechs have more tokens on the table than other units (which might be a big change to the game compared to Mage Knight ... do they have large units that take multiple token and a extra dial that is affected by tokens?)

There is still little reason for there to be tokens in the game ... the use of a Tab would clean the table up alot more. Bigger figures on a similar sized table with the expected more units on the table (expected under the quicker method of play) you would want a clean table.

Under the law of momentum .... when figures get close to each other is when it gets messy with extra orders come into play, you don't want to have tokens in the way at that point.

Greyslayer
Spartan
07/20/02 11:28 AM

I thought changing Battletech into magetech was supposed to simplify the game.
Spartan

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

(I refer you to what Nightward said)
Greyslayer
07/20/02 05:57 PM

It removes paper-shuffling, that we do know

Greyslayer
Karagin
07/21/02 12:05 PM

What paper shuffeling in BT? Most games if run with more then two players have each player running one maybe two mechs...not a lot of paper moving there...
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
deleteme
07/21/02 11:08 PM

wait, for group attacking, you can only have a maximum of 5 units attacking, I think only 3 or 4 for close combat. This is stupid but understandable in the game. With enough mechs in a group, rolling would be pointless....another thing that makes me mad is that energy weapons go offline if there's enough heat.
Pages: 1
Extra information
2 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 4865

Contact Admins Sarna.net