Shields on Mechs...

Pages: 1
Karagin
07/31/02 05:02 AM

Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply
Okay this coming weekend I am in a BT game, (WOOHOO), and the other side has a lance of 45 ton mechs with shields.

The shields take up 2 crits in each arm and have 8 points armor between them. They work like extra armor for the most part.

Now my quesiton here is this, SHOULD these be allowed or is the idea really silly for mechs give the level of weaponary and such that is out there on the battlefield?

To make this more fun and less of a pain...if you like the idea please give some examples of what you feel are good rules for these. If you hate or dislike the idea please tell us why and if you can give some ideas on how you would work with this or not.

Okay looking forward to your input and idea.
Karagin

Given time and plenty of paper, a philosopher can prove anything.
Cheapbuzz
07/31/02 06:58 AM

I think its just silly the game is Battletech not Gundam.
NathanKell
07/31/02 01:50 PM

2-crit, 8pt objects (1 ton each?) on the arms, like the Charger's, Awesome's, etc. would function thus: head hits from the side: flip a coin to see if the shot hits the armor instead.
From the front and rear their armor is added to the arms.
-NathanKell, BT Space Wars
Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear.
Thomas Jefferson
Karagin
07/31/02 02:45 PM

Interesting ideas there...
Karagin

Greyslayer
07/31/02 04:57 PM

It also saves on tonnage on your machine by not wasting your resources on a sword

Now a funny thing about that is a mech can only use a weapon like a hatchet, sword or mace that weighs a small proportion of its total mass yet a stinger can pick up a Dashi Prime arm (roughly weighing 20 tons) and not care an iota.

Oh well there is always loopholes in any set of rules.

Greyslayer
Karagin
07/31/02 05:02 PM

Speaking of arms as clubs...in a game back in 89, one of the players picked up a Panther's arm and asked if he could throw it at another mech...the GM said sure if you roll a 10 or higher it hits. He rolls an eleven...so no problem, the thrown arm hits the head doing 4 points of damage and knocking my Lion (100 ton mech) pilot out cold and when the mech fell over guess what it landed on?

That's right the head...leaving me with a knocked pilot and no mech...needless to say I was not happy..
Karagin

PeterSmith
07/31/02 06:13 PM

Interesting idea, going with a fixed size on the shields. I didn't see a weight listed, though. Are they weightless, or do we treat them like armor (16pt/ton)?

Further, how about a usage restriction? You can either make an attack (ranged or melee) with that limb, or you can use the shield, but not both in the same turn.
Peter Smith
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
Karagin
07/31/02 08:39 PM

They have a .5 tons of armor (8 points) as of right now that's all I know about them.

I doubt they are weight less...

This would be my first time having to face them. So I am asking for ideas and such because I know we will be discussing them after the battle.

Restriction are good...balance is key.
Karagin

novakitty
07/31/02 09:12 PM

I have seen quite balanced seeming rules for shields. They basically just allow more armor on a location at the cost of some critical space. The shield can be used to block a location, but then weaponry in the blocking arm and the blocked location cannot be fired that turn. Blocking the head should make visual targetting impossible, causing the pilot to use one of the other targetting methods mentioned in level 3 rules.

I cannot remember anything else about them right now, enjoy.
meow
PeterSmith
08/01/02 06:02 PM

"They have a .5 tons of armor (8 points) as of right now that's all I know about them.

I doubt they are weight less...
"

Your original post wasn't clear on this issue, which is why I brought it up.

Something to bring up after the game. If they are pretty much just extra armor, would mis-matching armor types (treating it like patchwork essentially) be a viable option?
Peter Smith
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
Karagin
08/01/02 06:16 PM

The person I am playing against is reshuffling his older ideas...the idea of patchwork armor while nice is something I don't think he had in mind...

Asking for ideas from you guys on what you would do if you were coming up with them is a way for me to be ready for what ever he does pull.

Based on what info I have right now from him, the shields seem to be a way to get extra armor that can save his normal armor from a few points of damage.
Karagin

Karagin
08/01/02 06:59 PM

He has 4 mechs at 45 tons each w/shields and level 1 tech and I am going to use 2 of my Tomahawk mechs, (see the Design Board for the stats) and two Shadow Hawks to go against him. Pilots are all 4/5 for skill. Should be an interesting fight.
Karagin

Karagin
04/28/07 07:21 PM

Round 9
Karagin

Nightward
05/01/07 02:56 AM

A long time ago, I posted rules for Shiels somewhere. I can't remember if it was here, or elsewhere. What I suggested was;

-External Shields may be carried as though they were cargo.
-A 'Mech must have a functioning Hand Actuator to use a Shield.
-A Shield may be used to cover three adjacent locations, chosen as follows:
*Arm/Side Torso/Centre Torso
*Arm/Side Torso/Rear Side Torso
*Arm/Side Torso/Leg
-'Mechs using a Shield designate the limb to which the Shield is attached at the start of play. If held in the Right Arm, the Shield may protect the Right Arm, Torso and Leg only; if held in the Left, it may only protect the Left Arm, Torso, and Leg.
-They provide 8 points of armour per ton of Shield mass.
-Shields prevent the use of weapons, TAG designators, NARC Launchers, and Anti-Missile Systems in any location they are covering.

At Level 3, though, I'd just stack on the Hardened Armour.
Yea, verily. Let it be known far and wide that Nightward loathes MW: DA. Indeed, it is with the BURNING ANIMUS OF A THOUSAND SUNS that he doth rage against it with.
Tripod
05/01/07 12:05 PM

you guys have seen the new solaris book right? it has shields in it, were these not acceptable?

if you would like these rules i can get them to you by the end of the week, wed-thur possibly (the book is at a friend house atm...).

basicly the shield had modes. passive means it only protects that arm, active means it also protects the center and mounted side torso, and defensive i think it covers all but the opposite arm and head, unsure on the legs. no quote on that statement though.
TBA
Karagin
05/01/07 05:56 PM

It was never a matter of if they were acceptable or not, the idea of mech shields has been around since the game came out. It's not new...and now after how many years TPTB finally got around to giving us official rules...
Karagin

Karagin
12/26/09 02:20 PM

Round 10, okay with the new weapons and rules, are folks even using shields on mechs or not?
Karagin

Prince_of_Darkness
12/26/09 06:43 PM

Quote:

Round 10, okay with the new weapons and rules, are folks even using shields on mechs or not?

I have used shields before, but considering some of the drawbacks they are more "niche" weapons for 'mechs.
Karagin
12/26/09 07:05 PM

So something more fitting for the games on Solaris VII then out in the real fighting...
Karagin

Prince_of_Darkness
12/27/09 12:53 PM

Yeah. The real problems are the mobility limiting factors- the +2 to hit with anything in that arm is easily negated with a few good pulse lasers, but it's the -1 MP for the Medium shield plus no jumping for the Large shield that really hampers their effectiveness.

So yeah, they are pretty much Solaris VII weapons. Doing attacks the shield bashing and charging with them is fun, and their advantages are obvious, but they really are game-world tech.
Pages: 1
Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Nic Jansma, Cray, Frabby, BobTheZombie 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 14201

Contact Admins Sarna.net